Was accused of trying to make a straw purchase today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I have a deal worked out with another member for a lower. Thanks Chibajoe.

RE: Them thinking I couldn't have a gun...I could have shown them my badge, and commission. That should have more than easily convinced them that I can own a gun. I was more than happy to fill the paperwork out, but then I'm sure they'd have a problem with her paying for the lower when I submitted the paperwork.

My business will go elsewhere since they did not even want to listen to what I had to say. I know when it comes to fed regs, the customer isn't always right, but in this case he was. They were just unwilling to hear a different perspective on what was occurring, when they thought they knew.

ETA: Not to mention I had my G23 on my hip, and G27 on my ankle. Oops, forgot to unload them and declare them when I walked in.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I remember when I brought my mother down to Elliot's to figure out what pistol she wanted, the clerk made a big deal that it couldn't be for me :D

And for those of you who don't know, Elliot's is no longer in business. . . ;)

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Cool I want it. I'll be in New Orleans this week to visit RDO for some engraving if you're ready to sell.

It's actually the lower on this rifle:

8wlhrhj3vbmyyo822qx1.jpg

I'm going to be replacing it with one of the SMOS billet lowers.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    ... but then I'm sure they'd have a problem with her paying for the lower when I submitted the paperwork.....

Bingo. Had you actually filled out the paperwork like they requested, they would have induced a true straw purchase.

That whole deal is just pointless to me. Anybody who wants to get a gun can get one. Stopping straw purchases does nothing to stem criminal activity, and it just confuses everyone involved.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I remember when I brought my mother down to Elliot's to figure out what pistol she wanted, the clerk made a big deal that it couldn't be for me :D

And for those of you who don't know, Elliot's is no longer in business. . . ;)

Bingo !!

As was noted in an earlier thread (by a dimwit), ATF is paranoid about straw purchases ............... which results in paranoia among gun shop owners. BTW I'm not saying Elliot's didn't deserve to be closed ...... just sayin that there has been fallout because of what Elliot's did.

ATF is infamous for assuming everyone is guilty ......... and for prosecuting ....... thus making you (or gun shop owners) prove innocence.

I have never had a bad experience at Precision. I find Kevin to be very knowledgeable and professional. He has also always been friendly every time I have seen him interact with customers .......... with the notable exception of thugs wanting to shoot choppers .............which is pretty amazing when you think about the mix of people you have to deal with in a gun store.

As far as the "registered in this state," I doubt that was said in the context being remembered. I'm willing to bet someone misunderstood or misconstrued something that was said.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I've been there about 30 times in the last year and one of the regular guys does seem to be lightening up a bit, I have to give that to him. The random people that work there for like a week and I never see again are often OK, sometimes even engaging in a friendly way.

Perhaps my memory was embittered by my experiences with Wade, and the random unpleasant moments I've felt with some employees.

I'll be fair and stfu. :)

Vermi, where ya been!? I'm a movie star now*sarcasm*, haven't been a librarian for months...lol, I do payroll.

Okay, I don't go around there that much, but I'm glad to see it's not just me that feels that way. EVERY time I've been to Precision I feel uneasy and unwelcome.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I knew it was BS when he said it. I just realized there was no reasoning whatsoever with the people there. No need to nip that in the bud LA carry...I know what the laws state.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The only thing I may have done different would be to flash a badge/CCL and ask "If I am obviously cleared to own, why would I have her buy it for me?" Then upon him excusing himself and then explaining why he did what he did, THEN I'd walk out with out a purchase pointing out the convenience level of purchasing there just dropped below being worth the extra $60. :D

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I knew it was BS when he said it. I just realized there was no reasoning whatsoever with the people there. No need to nip that in the bud LA carry...I know what the laws state.

I wasn't meaning you. I was hoping someone on here had a good enough relationship with these guys to talk to them and get them to stop giving people bogus info like that.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    I wasn't meaning you. I was hoping someone on here had a good enough relationship with these guys to talk to them and get them to stop giving people bogus info like that.

i know this may sound like a dumb question, but i've seen people mention buying lowers and having them registered as a pistol? this never made since to me. care to shed some light on it?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    i know this may sound like a dumb question, but i've seen people mention buying lowers and having them registered as a pistol? this never made since to me. care to shed some light on it?

When they say "register" in that regard, it means to check the pistol box instead of the long gun box on the transfer form, not to send off to DPS with your personal information.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    When they say "register" in that regard, it means to check the pistol box instead of the long gun box on the transfer form, not to send off to DPS with your personal information.

Yeah if you register your lower as a pistol you can put a short barrel on it but you can't put a stock or pistol grip.

The main reason to register a lower as a pistol is because while you can build a pistol lower up as a rifle, you can not build a rifle lower into a pistol. You can thank the rocket scientists at BATFE for that one.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I was in Precision today, shooting the breeze w/ Kevin, and it didn't even cross my mind to ask about this. I'll ask him the next time I'm in there, if there isn't a crowd, and they have time to B.S.

I would have let him know that you were a LEO, and just explain the situation to them. They get a fair amount of customers who try and get their girlfriends/wives to buy firearms for them, knowing they won't pass the NICS instant check, and I'm sure they were just CYA.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom