A conversation in Walmart today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    My wife sent me to Walmart today and while I was there I passed by the Sports dept. to look at the ammo case. Bought a couple boxes of 9mm & 45 acp and asked the guy behind the counter the old question. "Do y'all get much 22lr?" He says yes they do but it gets put out at 5:00AM and the same guys are camped out there every day. He says they all tell him they're selling it on the internet. He tells my "Try Lucky Gunner."

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Supposedly they do this at the Academy near me too I probably unlike them have a day job so I don't compete for it. I just buy some here and there when it's at a reasonable price (pre panic) online using email alerts.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Ask Walmart to stop putting it out in the morning ... Put it out at random times. Need to make it not worth their while to wait early on the morning.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I did tell the guy they should stamp the boxes with a big red WALMART so when the people who purchase it online or at a pawn shop can see just how badly they were screwed.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I'd love to be able to get a big group together and beat them to the ammo... And then offer to sell back to them for triple cost. Haha!

Seriously this can be stopped by putting the ammo out at random times.. The store manager can easily put a stop to it.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    What a sad and pathetic existence camping out in the morning so you can make a few bucks. Not much better than the bums asking for money on street corners.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    How much money can you make doing this? I mean, after buying the ammo on the front end, 9% tax, paying for gas to go to the store and back then the post office and back, auction fees, shipping, packaging, etc it can't be much. Certainly not enough for it to be worth being at walmart every day for 5 AM.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    How much money can you make doing this? I mean, after buying the ammo on the front end, 9% tax, paying for gas to go to the store and back then the post office and back, auction fees, shipping, packaging, etc it can't be much. Certainly not enough for it to be worth being at walmart every day for 5 AM.

Certainly not much. Especially since .22 prices seem to have started to decline. I'm sure it's just very simple minded folk thinking they are being entrepreneurial without actually doing the math.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Certainly not much. Especially since .22 prices seem to have started to decline. I'm sure it's just very simple minded folk thinking they are being entrepreneurial without actually doing the math.

Which is why I equated them to bums begging for money under the bridges in New Orleans. Just as sad and pathetic.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I talked to a guy in Wally World the other day since we both were checking on ammo. He mentioned he had 27 boxes of 550 RDS era already and was lucking for more, I wanted to punch him right in the face. Who really needs 15K of .22 lr just to have. With horders like that no wonder why I can't find any. With my schedule I can't hang out at Academy oy Walmart till they put it out on the shelf so I'm screwed.

Last edited:

oldsman350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Hammond
    I've seen the AARP brigades first hand.. I was on vacation and my 15month old is up at 0630 every morning so I went to Wal-Mart to get some oil and sure enough like wolves to dead caribou they were waiting to pounce for .22.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

It's still 10 cents a round on gun broker, I'm sure they're making something, but I'm also sure that it comes out to below minimum wage.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I talked to a guy in Wally World the other day since we both were checking on ammo. He mentioned he had 27 boxes of 550 RDS era already and was lucking for more, I wanted to punch him right in the face. Who really needs 15K of .22 lr just to have. With horders like that no wonder why I can't find any. With my schedule I can't hang out at Academy oy Walmart till they put it out on the shelf so I'm screwed.
    I have 33 boxes but were bout at 14.97 a box way back when. Or less that should tell ya how long i had them.
    If i was still using what i used to that would be 4-6 months worth.
    I refuse to be part of the shortage and also pay that much. will but some again
    every time the wife dragged me to wal mart i would go look around and would just grab a box.
    FWIW i used to shoot 1/2 to 1 box a week.
    I would take a few of my sons friends and give them a box So together used 1.5-2 boxes a week.
    Then i got a deal on some surplus Rem at 90 bucks for 5000 so grabbed 3.
    I have one gun that only uses Mini Mags right so some bought bulk of that not much.
    When the price is normal again I will probably get some at 20 a bulk and replenish what i shoot.
    Someone that gets 27 boxes now days to just resell and keep new shooters and kids from shooting is just an idiot

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I also have to say it must be impossible to wear out a Ruger 10/22(1992), MK2, BearCat{1971) or a single six (1980)

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I've been buying mine from Cabellas since this nonsense started . I'm not playing the WalMart game .

Exactly. With very little effort it can be found through Cabellas. Its just as much the idiots who are buying at dumb prices fault as it is the idiots standing in line at 5am waiting to make $10-20 after all the hassle.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I happened to be at Cabela's at opening one day for 9mm and .40 and just wandered over to where the .22 was five minutes after opening. I picked up two boxes (never did the math to find the exact price, but under $3/50 seemed reasonable) and just asked if she had any bulk. "Just sold it all." I don't even remember what day it was, but I guess that's why there were 20 guys waiting around at the door when I got there. My ass was looking for some kind of door buster sale. I can't sit online all day waiting for ammo any more than I can camp out for a brick. I'm getting ready to take my nephews shooting, so it's going to get annoying after we run through my brick of Wildcat and 200 Blazers and I can't find any bulk because some hillbilly thinks he found a get rich quick scheme.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    You dont have to sit at the computer. Go to slickguns.com and have them send you notices when .22 comes up at a certain price.

I happened to be at Cabela's at opening one day for 9mm and .40 and just wandered over to where the .22 was five minutes after opening. I picked up two boxes (never did the math to find the exact price, but under $3/50 seemed reasonable) and just asked if she had any bulk. "Just sold it all." I don't even remember what day it was, but I guess that's why there were 20 guys waiting around at the door when I got there. My ass was looking for some kind of door buster sale. I can't sit online all day waiting for ammo any more than I can camp out for a brick. I'm getting ready to take my nephews shooting, so it's going to get annoying after we run through my brick of Wildcat and 200 Blazers and I can't find any bulk because some hillbilly thinks he found a get rich quick scheme.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom