A conversation in Walmart today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I talked to a guy in Wally World the other day since we both were checking on ammo. He mentioned he had 27 boxes of 550 RDS era already and was lucking for more, I wanted to punch him right in the face. Who really needs 15K of .22 lr just to have. With horders like that no wonder why I can't find any. With my schedule I can't hang out at Academy oy Walmart till they put it out on the shelf so I'm screwed.

I've got more than he does.

Now: I haven't bought any .22 since Atleast 2010, but looking at all of you venting about high prices/not being able to find any.... Sounds like you shoulda.
    I don't have it to have. I have it to shoot. I buy what's cheap, when it's cheap and so get to shoot more.

Want to punch me in the face?

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Don't really care either way if you're not the same guy camping out every week, but you haven't purchased in at least 4 years, still have over 15k, and don't have just to have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I've got more than he does.

Now: I haven't bought any .22 since Atleast 2010, but looking at all of you venting about high prices/not being able to find any.... Sounds like you shoulda.
    I don't have it to have. I have it to shoot. I buy what's cheap, when it's cheap and so get to shoot more.

Want to punch me in the face?

Well good for you, glad you have plenty. Sorry that I don't have the time or money to hoard 15-20K of ammo just to have lying around. I buy when I can and what I need and the election caught me off guard and low on cash since I was building another AR. Sue me, but that guy was just hoarding plain and simple. The average shooter who buys a few hundred rds needed doesn't stand a chance due to A holes like him. Rant off.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Don't really care either way if you're not the same guy camping out every week, but you haven't purchased in at least 4 years, still have over 15k, and don't have just to have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

That's correct.

Whenever I went to wallmart I would throw a brick of .22 into the shipping card.
    EVERY time for YEARS. (isn't hard for it to add up.)
    -this is in addition to any I shot, when I finished a brick, I'd get 2.
    I've got around 45-50k. Haven't sold a bit of it (I don't sell ammo) but I HAVE given several bricks away in the last year.

Now I haven't been shooting as much in the last 2 years as I did before due to health issues, but because I bought over 30k rounds of .308 back when it was under $150/1k I can when I go shooting, hand a FAL to a buddy with a loaded mag and not worry about the ammo cost.
    It didn't cost me $10 like it would today.

I can take a new shooter out and run them through 200 rounds with a Glock and get them partially trained to protect themselves, becaus it cost me about $15.

I can go put a few hundred rounds down range and not cry about it, or be like you and scramble for 50 round boxes.

I can give my buddy's kid a ziplock bag of .22 when his dad can't find any.

I can loan buddies a case of ammo for a rifle class.

I can take a shooting class because I'm not restricted to "one box a visit" WHEN they have it.

I spent $11k on 5.45 recently.... Just before it went up.
    A small stack of that is for friends of mine, who, when they can afford it will buy it from me at the "old price", because they couldnt afford it at the time.

I have three hobbies: girls, guns and motorcycles.
    I've been dating the same woman for 2 years now, I hope to be able to ride motorcycles again after my spinal surgery, but so long as I can move my trigger finger, I intend on shooting for the rest of my life.
    Not "for the zombies" or for fighting anyone. Just because I like to shoot.

Picked up some powder and primers at the show today.... Picked up 600 pounds of lead a few years ago.
    I'm serious about my hobbies. (you going to say bad things about me when you can't get primers!?!)

I enjoy shooting, I enjoy taking people shooting, I enjoy the type of people who like guns and motorcycles, and I don't intend on giving up my hobbies due to economic or avalability issues.

WHY WOULDN'T you buy ammo when it's at historical lows, and there's plenty of avalability!?!

At the end of the day, ONE of us is shooting, and the other is bitching.
    I guess that shows who is right!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Well good for you, glad you have plenty. Sorry that I don't have the time or money to hoard 15-20K of ammo just to have lying around. I buy when I can and what I need and the election caught me off guard and low on cash since I was building another AR. Sue me, but that guy was just hoarding plain and simple. The average shooter who buys a few hundred rds needed doesn't stand a chance due to A holes like him. Rant off.

Man, when I bought that, I was a high school kid through a Marine Sgt. I didn't have gobs of money, (still dont) and it took like 5 minutes when grocery shopping.

You spent your money on on AR, and if ere had been another AWB, and you sold it for 5x what you paid for it you'd feel just as bad as he does! (not at all)

LEARN from this, and start buying a few extra boxes of what you shoot NOW!

Because this WILL happen again!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Not saying anything against what you've done, but call a duck a duck.

Man, if you want to call it hoarding.... Whatever.
    It's actually stockpiling.

(hoarding is legally buying excessively when there is a scarcity, and there are sometimes laws against it)

Point being: recent events have shown the wisom of doing so, you'd be wise to learn from them rather than throwing stones or sour grapes.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    That's correct.

Whenever I went to wallmart I would throw a brick of .22 into the shipping card.
    EVERY time for YEARS. (isn't hard for it to add up.)
    -this is in addition to any I shot, when I finished a brick, I'd get 2.
    Same here.
    There was always plenty left in the case when i left so i was not cutting anyone short if they needed any.
    I gave away free over 10K to persons that needed some with this shortage and some 223 and 5.56
    Even as a kid I would grab 22lr on sale if i saw it was on sale in the Sunday paper from K Mart.
    And still have person who are mad at me since i will not share.
    When Cans of veggies are on sale my wife gets a few 100 cans at 3 for a buck and then does not get any till on sale again.
    It is smart shopping or maybe i am a hoarder?
    I do have a 5 foot wide by 3 foot deep 8 foot tall pantry for dry goods and cans.
    We also get flour in 25 pound sacks but use plenty as we make out own bread, And she grabs large sacks of rice at Sam's last 2-3 months

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Same here.
    There was always plenty left in the case when i left so i was not cutting anyone short if they needed any.
    I gave away free over 10K to persons that needed some with this shortage and some 223 and 5.56
    Even as a kid I would grab 22lr on sale if i saw it was on sale in the Sunday paper from K Mart.
    And still have person who are mad at me since i will not share.
    When Cans of veggies are on sale my wife gets a few 100 cans at 3 for a buck and then does not get any till on sale again.
    It is smart shopping or maybe i am a hoarder?
    I do have a 5 foot wide by 3 foot deep 8 foot tall pantry for dry goods and cans.
    We also get flour in 25 pound sacks but use plenty as we make out own bread, And she grabs large sacks of rice at Sam's last 2-3 months
    25 pound sacks of flour and hundreds of cans of goods? I am thinking prepper / hoarder!! :P That is a lot man haha!

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Man, if you want to call it hoarding.... Whatever.
    It's actually stockpiling.

(hoarding is legally buying excessively when there is a scarcity, and there are sometimes laws against it)

Point being: recent events have shown the wisom of doing so, you'd be wise to learn from them rather than throwing stones or sour grapes.

+1

I have about 10k stocked that I built up over a long, long time. I have had friends try to buy some from me in the past year and I've never sold any. What I do is tell them to find some online at a decent price on backorder and buy some, then I loan them a brick or 2 until their's finally comes in.

Someone recently told me that I sound like a hoarder. I told him he sounded like somebody without any 22LR. :dogkeke:

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    WHY WOULDN'T you buy ammo when it's at historical lows, and there's plenty of avalability!?!

At the end of the day, ONE of us is shooting, and the other is bitching.
    I guess that shows who is right!

LOL -- I have to agree with you! Like you, I've had the habit of steady buying (sorta like "dollar cost averaging" in the stock market) and have a nice stockpile of 22LR and 9mm (though not as nice as yours!). I still purchase when it's available -- bought some 9mm this morning at the local Walmart -- and plan to continue...

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    My problem is that I didn't own a .22 before or shortly after the panic. Now that I do, I have no ammo for it and can't get any. I put a 1400rd bucket on back order that was eventually cancelled by Midway. So now I have two guns but not a single round to shoot through them. Granted, I have 10 month old twin boys and I don't always search for it, but still.

I don't blame anyone that buys it and holds on to it, as long as you aren't trying to sell it for stupid prices. Only when that happens to I get upset. If you have 10-15k or even a million rounds of .22 I could care less. But when these jackasses try to sell it for double and triple the retail price, it agitates me a little.

Recently in DeRidder they had there annual garage sale in the park thing. There was an FFL guy there with a retail location trying to sell a 525 brick of regular .22 for $75. That PISSED me off. I told every single person standing around his table that he was a rip off and no one should buy a damn thing from him. He tried to argue but another person stepped up that wasn't going to say anything and agreed. About 8 people walked away from his table. I hope that he lost some business because of it. I am almost certain that as an FFL he is buying his ammo from wholesalers and regular prices. Then he is trying to sell it way above retail. To me that is just crooked!!!

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    The people that buy it and save it I dont care. I see nothing wrong there. Its the people buying to resell to make a few bucks and the idiots paying the crazy prices that annoy me.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...asked the guy behind the counter the old question. "Do y'all get much 22lr?" He says yes they do but it gets put out at 5:00AM and the same guys are camped out there every day...

My local Walmart has a three box per customer limit. Seems that either the store isn't putting out much, or there are a bunch of guys waiting (?)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My local Walmart has a three box per customer limit. Seems that either the store isn't putting out much, or there are a bunch of guys waiting (?)

Or the cashiers aren't enforcing the rule. Or they make multiple trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom