A conversation in Walmart today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    My problem is that I didn't own a .22 before or shortly after the panic. Now that I do, I have no ammo for it and can't get any. I put a 1400rd bucket on back order that was eventually cancelled by Midway. So now I have two guns but not a single round to shoot through them. Granted, I have 10 month old twin boys and I don't always search for it, but still.

I don't blame anyone that buys it and holds on to it, as long as you aren't trying to sell it for stupid prices. Only when that happens to I get upset. If you have 10-15k or even a million rounds of .22 I could care less. But when these jackasses try to sell it for double and triple the retail price, it agitates me a little.

Recently in DeRidder they had there annual garage sale in the park thing. There was an FFL guy there with a retail location trying to sell a 525 brick of regular .22 for $75. That PISSED me off. I told every single person standing around his table that he was a rip off and no one should buy a damn thing from him. He tried to argue but another person stepped up that wasn't going to say anything and agreed. About 8 people walked away from his table. I hope that he lost some business because of it. I am almost certain that as an FFL he is buying his ammo from wholesalers and regular prices. Then he is trying to sell it way above retail. To me that is just crooked!!!

Soooo.... Capitalism pisses you off?

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    My local Walmart has a three box per customer limit. Seems that either the store isn't putting out much, or there are a bunch of guys waiting (?)
    He said there's a line of guys at 4:00AM. I got no problem with people who feel the need to stockpile thousands of rounds waiting for sh*t to hit the fan day or the next active shooter inspired liberal gun ban proposal or who are trying to see how fast they can wear out a 10/22. But if you're buying it up to resell it for a quick buck? I think you're a scalper and I think you're scum.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    My problem is that I didn't own a .22 before or shortly after the panic. Now that I do, I have no ammo for it and can't get any. I put a 1400rd bucket on back order that was eventually cancelled by Midway. So now I have two guns but not a single round to shoot through them. Granted, I have 10 month old twin boys and I don't always search for it, but still.

I don't blame anyone that buys it and holds on to it, as long as you aren't trying to sell it for stupid prices. Only when that happens to I get upset. If you have 10-15k or even a million rounds of .22 I could care less. But when these jackasses try to sell it for double and triple the retail price, it agitates me a little.

Recently in DeRidder they had there annual garage sale in the park thing. There was an FFL guy there with a retail location trying to sell a 525 brick of regular .22 for $75. That PISSED me off. I told every single person standing around his table that he was a rip off and no one should buy a damn thing from him. He tried to argue but another person stepped up that wasn't going to say anything and agreed. About 8 people walked away from his table. I hope that he lost some business because of it. I am almost certain that as an FFL he is buying his ammo from wholesalers and regular prices. Then he is trying to sell it way above retail. To me that is just crooked!!!

I don't get the agitation with that. Blaming a business owner who is likely getting a massively decreased volume of inventory for trying to increase his profit margin on that item to try to make up for a FRACTION of the money he is losing out on is ridiculous. I'm certain he would rather make $10 a case selling 20 cases than $60 a case selling 1 case. The guys sitting at walmart at 5 in the morning are annoying and I can certainly understand the irritation there, but I'd bet that once shelves got cleared things got really hard for small businesses.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Greed controls the decisions of every politician......so it must be good.....:rolleyes:

ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    I talked to the manager at the new Dick's in Slidell today. He stated that the regular group is standing at the front door the next morning after a truck makes a delivery.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    So , in order to make it fair to the other customers , why not delay in putting out the ammo for a couple of hours ? Do it at random times and don't announce it . It's going to sell anyway so it's not going to hurt his bottom line at all . Chances are these guys are only picking up the ammo and nothing else so how does it benefit the stores to keep enabling these guys ?

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Ok, cool.

Next paycheck you bring home, you just go ahead and peel me off a few %.

After all, you expect others to do the same for you!

Not following your logic or lack there of. I'm not asking for a handout - just availability that I can purchase at a fair price.

BTW - I think we found our 5:00 AM Walmart Group!!

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Not following your logic or lack there of. I'm not asking for a handout - just availability that I can purchase at a fair price.

Nah, I don't think they have a walmart where nomad lives. The reality is, there isn't enough to make it available to everyone. That's why there is a shortage and why the prices are elevated. If the resellers weren't getting it, someone else would be getting it before you anyways.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    What I noticed at the Walmart in Slidell on Natchez Dr, the clerk was putting .22 behind the counter, under the register. Then the clerk called his buddy from his personal cell phone to inform him that he had it. It's ridiculous really.

I went out and bought a spring piston air rifle so I don't need to depend on .22 for small game hunting.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

Nope, as stated, I haven't bought any .22 in years, and the few $ I'd make if I did it aren't worth my time.

I'm more likely to stay up till 5, not be somewhere at 6!

My point was "fair". "Fair" doesn't exist in commerce.
    Dude was messing with a FFL:
    Well, I don't ask my doctors to give me medical advice for free, I don't expect my mecanic buddies to work on my car for free, I don't expect my butcher buddies to give me steak for free (now a "hookup price" or if they owe me is different)
    And someone already said it: the FFL would rather sell MORE AMMO at a LOWER price, but he has fixed expenses. Both for the business and personally. Small shops have gone out of business innthe last year, when their rent and electric, to say nothing of gas and food requirements have remained stable, but their inventory has been lacking. (this is why I said the poster should peel off a few % of his take home)

Same with a dude who sells guns, ammo, or whatever the other poster does....
    I see people at gunshows all the time asking high prices. Dude was walking around yesterday with a $700-$800 L1A1. He was asking $1300 for. I didn't follow him around proclaiming to one and all that his price was too high, I just wished him good luck and went on my way. Same with many other prices.

I think the guys waiting at wallmart/academy/ whatever are pathetic... (as someone said earlier, time, gas, etc, for minimal returns..., just doesn't add up)
    That said, if it worked out to $1,000/hour.... You'd likely be there, and I'd likely be right next to you!:p

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I think the guys waiting at wallmart/academy/ whatever are pathetic... (as someone said earlier, time, gas, etc, for minimal returns..., just doesn't add up)
    That said, if it worked out to $1,000/hour.... You'd likely be there, and I'd likely be right next to you!:p

Agreed 100%!!!

Actually the only thing I'm looking for now is subsonic or standard velocity because after 10 months I finally got Federal Stamp & my 22 Supressor!!

My other small stash of 22LR has been mostly used to teach my 2 nieces, my sister and sister-in-law how to handle a firearm. 3 out of the 4 have "graduated" to 9mm!

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Was lucky enough to find some CCI.22 mag at Walmart Saturday. Bought the 3 boxes they would sell me and sent a message to friend to hurry over and get himself 3. @ $10.17 for a box 50 I thought that was a great deal.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Was lucky enough to find some CCI.22 mag at Walmart Saturday. Bought the 3 boxes they would sell me and sent a message to friend to hurry over and get himself 3. @ $10.17 for a box 50 I thought that was a great deal.

I just picked up a few boxes in crowley this morning as well.

I don't know why you guys have your panties in a bunch over it. I swing by sporting goods every trip, if they have some I buy a box- if not, I don't. Has been my practice for years and I've got a nice little stash at the house.

What I don't do is get mad that some other paying customer beat me to what I wanted... I don't understand the logic. It's a product... for sale... and you want the manager to alter the stocking hours to accommodate your opportunity to purchase? thats pretty funny. The only time he should get involved is when the employee is reserving merchandise for buddies- which is against walmart policy. A call to the district office (Ambassador Caffery, ask for "District Office" and they'll xfer you) will fix that in a hurry.

I just don't understand how entitled some clowns feel about being provided .22 at their perfect time at a perfect price. If you want it at a perfect time, pay more for it online. If you want it at perfect price, buy it at inconvenient times. (like 5am?) If you figure out how to do both- find it and keep it a secret like the rest of us do.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom