A conversation in Walmart today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I don't understand why people are still getting so mad... the stuff is available online if you shop a little bit. One or two 500 packs should last you a long while. Also, save money and shoot less. It's not like all the bacon is gone when you get to the grocery store.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't understand why people are still getting so mad... the stuff is available online if you shop a little bit. One or two 500 packs should last you a long while. Also, save money and shoot less. It's not like all the bacon is gone when you get to the grocery store.

its the have-nots crying about having not, and there is no solution other than enduring their tears.

You never met a guy that owned 4 AR's that was mad that people were selling them for 3x price.
    You never met a guy that owned 25k rounds of .22 that was mad that " " " " "

You however MIGHT have met a guy that wanted either (or both) and was cranky at the fact that no one was selling it for the "day-after-thanksgiving-special-with-a-coupon" price that the owner paid back in 2006 when no one wanted either.

waahhhhh! I don't want to buy it when it's cheap. I want to buy it when I want to buy it and expect it to STILL be cheap! Economics ONLY revolve around ME!

:rofl:

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Soooo.... Capitalism pisses you off?

No, capitalism doesn't **** me off. People trying to rip people off and are crooked **** me off. There are laws passed when a natural disaster happens to protect the public when trying to purchase items they need. I am just using this as an example, is that alright with you? But when that happens you can not "gouge". Therefore you can not sell a normal everyday item 3 times higher than retail price just so you can make huge profits off of people. I am not trying to compare Katrina, so to say, to buying .22 in no way.

In no way shape or form was this man trying to exercise "capitalism"!!!!!! He was being a crook and dishonest and taking advantage of people. He had plenty of people standing there interested in buying items, why try and rip them off. What happened to the old saying "the strong survive"???? If he can't survive selling at a normal price then he doesn't deserve to be in business.

You don't see honest people trying to do this. There are plenty of LGS's that sponsor this very site that sell plenty of .22 at regular prices. You don't see them trying to rip people off and they flourish.

To me trust is everything. If I can't trust you to be honest during the worst of times then you most definitely can't be trusted during the good times.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    No, capitalism doesn't **** me off. People trying to rip people off and are crooked **** me off. There are laws passed when a natural disaster happens to protect the public when trying to purchase items they need. I am just using this as an example, is that alright with you? But when that happens you can not "gouge". Therefore you can not sell a normal everyday item 3 times higher than retail price just so you can make huge profits off of people. I am not trying to compare Katrina, so to say, to buying .22 in no way.

In no way shape or form was this man trying to exercise "capitalism"!!!!!! He was being a crook and dishonest and taking advantage of people. He had plenty of people standing there interested in buying items, why try and rip them off. What happened to the old saying "the strong survive"???? If he can't survive selling at a normal price then he doesn't deserve to be in business.

You don't see honest people trying to do this. There are plenty of LGS's that sponsor this very site that sell plenty of .22 at regular prices. You don't see them trying to rip people off and they flourish.

To me trust is everything. If I can't trust you to be honest during the worst of times then you most definitely can't be trusted during the good times.

FYI price gouging laws only apply to businesses, not individuals. Which is exactly why businesses place restrictions on how much can be purchased.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If you would have read my original post, it was a business.

I don't think a ffl dealer in a parking lot constitutes "a business", but ammunition isn't protected under gouging laws anyway lol. mostly water, fuel, medicine and some foods.

but imo you did exactly what you should have done- laughed at him and gone somewhere else. I don't see why it pissed you off.

I mean if you saw someone with a table of socks in front of dollar store selling them for 50.00 a pack, would you get pissed? I'd laugh and take a picture so I could look at it and laugh more later.

Last edited:

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I mean if you saw someone with a table of socks in front of dollar store selling them for 50.00 a pack, would you get pissed? I'd laugh and take a picture so I could look at it and laugh more later.

The difference there would be that there would be plenty of socks in the dollar store that were inexpensive. Not a good comparison.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The difference there would be that there would be plenty of socks in the dollar store. Not a good comparison.

not necessarily. presume there weren't and take it as apples to apples.

just because you can't find it doesn't mean that its the general publics responsibility to provide it to you fast and easy...

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    not necessarily. presume there weren't and take it as apples to apples.

just because you can't find it doesn't mean that its the general publics responsibility to provide it to you fast and easy...

And a lot of this whole thing is the publics fault for feeding these idiots. As we have all said, its not hard to find decent prices online through places like Cabelas mostly. Even with shipping you are looking at half of what these geriatrics are asking. Its the same idiots who were paying 2k for a $600 AR during the nonsense.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    And a lot of this whole thing is the publics fault for feeding these idiots. As we have all said, its not hard to find decent prices online through places like Cabelas mostly. Even with shipping you are looking at half of what these geriatrics are asking. Its the same idiots who were paying 2k for a $600 AR during the nonsense.

oh, no doubt. if no one was buying, they'd be out of business. I say if people are dumb enough to pay it, let them? why should it make you upset in the least?

i personally find it hilarious

contrary to popular belief, you don't "have" to have .22. I can do everything a .22 can with either an airsoft rifle or a 9mm , and provide ammo for either cheap as air. I don't understand why everyone is in a panic over .22, and I apparently never will. I'll just feed any other firearm of mine instead before I'll pay 20 cents per round. Bigger guns are more fun anyway- especially for the same price.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Man, if you want to call it hoarding.... Whatever.
    It's actually stockpiling.

(hoarding is legally buying excessively when there is a scarcity, and there are sometimes laws against it)

Point being: recent events have shown the wisom of doing so, you'd be wise to learn from them rather than throwing stones or sour grapes.

Agreed here!

Took 4 teenage turds to shoot 22's yesterday. That 50 round drum mag was spinning and ejecting spent 22lr casings so fast I thought I was having an epileptic seizure.

It goes quick! I wasn't prepared before the panic. I will be next time! ;)

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    What I don't understand is why all the people complaining about the gougers think that if the gougers didn't gouge, there would be tons of ammo on the shelf for them to buy. Sorry, another guy would have bought it before you.

A few people buying a small amount of ammo at retail and reselling it for a profit does not remove the ammo from the market. It's still out there, available for sale, and when sold it's going to some guy who wanted the ammo more than you did. If these guys stopped doing what they did, the market would not suddenly return to normal.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    contrary to popular belief, you don't "have" to have .22. I can do everything a .22 can with either an airsoft rifle or a 9mm , and provide ammo for either cheap as air. I don't understand why everyone is in a panic over .22, and I apparently never will. I'll just feed any other firearm of mine instead before I'll pay 20 cents per round. Bigger guns are more fun anyway- especially for the same price.

+1 The appeal of 22lr is that it's plentiful and cheap to shoot. When it's neither of those, it loses all appeal.

I don't understand why people would want to purchase .22lr at prices equal or exceeding 9mm.

And similar to what you said, a pellet gun can provide the same enjoyment as a 10/22. You know how much pellets cost? Practically nothing.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    What I don't understand is why all the people complaining about the gougers think that if the gougers didn't gouge, there would be tons of ammo on the shelf for them to buy. Sorry, another guy would have bought it before you.

A few people buying a small amount of ammo at retail and reselling it for a profit does not remove the ammo from the market. It's still out there, available for sale, and when sold it's going to some guy who wanted the ammo more than you did. If these guys stopped doing what they did, the market would not suddenly return to normal.

The thing is, if it was only a few people doing this, you'd be right. The resellers are doing this doggone near everywhere. Pawn Shops, Mom and Pop gun shops on down the line. Some folks are buying it up to sell online.

They'll keep doing it as long as people are buying it from them.

The only part of it that ticks me off is when the normal retailers get it, and set it aside for their buddies. It doesn't really affect me, I have plenty. I also bought an air rifle to handle any real situations that called for a .22. However, I would love for it to be available like the old days. I used to blow thousands of rounds on a weekend. .22 was a blast back before Obama.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    all this before 10/22 owners find out that they make .22 caliber pellets for professional airsoft rifles. 100 rounds for 8 bucks or so.

starting to feel silly about raging over walmart employees or buyoverpricedcrap.com yet?

1/2 the price of the gun
    1/4 the price of the ammo

NO TRUST REQUIRED FOR A CAN- ITS SILENT ALREADY.

Yeah, I'm not in a panic over .22

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I don't think a ffl dealer in a parking lot constitutes "a business", but ammunition isn't protected under gouging laws anyway lol. mostly water, fuel, medicine and some foods.

but imo you did exactly what you should have done- laughed at him and gone somewhere else. I don't see why it pissed you off.

That is key:

Hey guys:

SOONER OR LATER "evil" magazines and "evil" guns will be restricted/regulated. If you don't want those "evil people" to "make money off you" by being mean and NOT Selling it to you at yesterday's prices.... Buy NOW!

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    all this before 10/22 owners find out that they make .22 caliber pellets for professional airsoft rifles. 100 rounds for 8 bucks or so.

starting to feel silly about raging over walmart employees or buyoverpricedcrap.com yet?

Who is raging? If you're asking me, I don't feel silly about anything. I have mine. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

In no way shape or form was this man trying to exercise "capitalism"!!!!!! He was being a crook and dishonest and taking advantage of people
    . He had plenty of people standing there interested in buying items, why try and rip them off. What happened to the old saying "the strong survive"???? If he can't survive selling at a normal price then he doesn't deserve to be in business.

Please tell me how offering something for sale, to people who can choose to buy or not, and it's NOT essential to life (already covered) is dishonest or taking advantage of people?

Also, what is "normal price" and who sets it (you?)

Top Bottom