A few new knives I've made

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willyd6869

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Uptown NOLA
    I have begun selling some knives now that I have my heat treat dialed in and enough first hand use of my blades. I've sold a few drop points and am currently making one of the Santoku styles for someone who saw it via my instagram and wanted one. I'll sell the Santoku style knife for $145 shipped. I have moved to South Florida for the indefinite future, I hope not for too long as I am bored out of my coconut here, hence all the knives I've been making. As for the handle options, I'll post a photo of what I have in the shop, or you can just drop ship any pair of scales and/or spacers (from usa knife maker, knifekits, texas knife, etc) you would like and I will make it with those. If you supply the scales, the price would be $135 shipped. The price may seem high, but these knives need to be heat treated before grinding the bevels to prevent warping on the 3/32" steel. Just Grinding the bevels takes me about 2 hours. I can't heat it past 400 degrees or I'll over temper it. When I get down to the last 10 percent of the grind, I have to dunk it like every 7 seconds; The thin edge heats quickly. I'm also open to making other designs, I enjoy the design aspects and challenge. I know it would be better to buy one in person seeing the quality first hand, so I'll refund you if you are not satisfied, remedy any defects, and offer free sharpening (although shipping to sharpen isn't the most practical). If you would like a knife please pm me.

Santoku Stats:
    3/32" O1 Steel
    9" Blade
    15" OAL
    Full Flat Grind
    .005" meat behind edge
    Triple Tempered RC 60
    Can be made for $145 shipped, or $135 with scales supplied.

droppoint.jpg

Attachments

• droppoint2.jpg
      droppoint2.jpg
      61.7 KB · Views: 132
    • ht.jpg
      ht.jpg
      22.5 KB · Views: 124
    • temper.jpg
      temper.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 138
    • handle.jpg
      handle.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 121
    Last edited:

willyd6869

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Uptown NOLA
    Thanks rtr.

The balance point is right on your index finger when you're holding the knife. The first one I made was kind of handle heavy so I drilled out a lot of material from the tang on this second one. I ended up getting lucky and nailing it. Thankfully i took pictures of where the holes were drilled. It was really strange holding it after I finished it because it felt half as heavy when you hold it like you would cut something, as opposed to the various ways I was holding it working on it. I'm dropping it off at the post office today and I'm going to be sad to see it go haha.

willyd6869

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Uptown NOLA
    kamisori.jpgkamisori2.jpg

This is an O1 steel Japanese Kamisori Razor with a symmetrical western grind. It is 3/16" at the spine and is a 6/8 blade i height in razor speak. I can't wait until my new water stones arrive to hone and shave with it. I have been wanting to make one of these for a long time. I hardened it to around 63 HRC. It should be hard to hone but keep a keen edge.

rasputin

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Plaquemine
    Liking this. I tried to forge a cleaver like in your first Pic 2 years ago. I was going to draw out the tang into a blacksmiths rat tailed handle, but turned out a failure.

Forged the edge too thin and it warped on me. Also got too involved with tending my coal fire and didn't realize that I got the tang too hot and melted it 2 inches from the ricosso.

Knife work is hard!

Saint Peter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    morgan city, la
    If anyone is looking for a good quality custom knife willy has made one for me that is is of awesome quality it will be a everyday use knife he designed it exactly as we discussed it sorry so long to respond back on it was offshore and just for in a couple days ago . Thank you for the quality knife willyd. Peter

willyd6869

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Uptown NOLA
    Thanks Peter! The Tanto is $85 with kydex sheath. 3/16" O1 steel 60RC. I have been in the middle of moving back to Louisiana and setting up a new knife shop, so I haven't had anything to post unfortunately. I just started up a Wa handle for a Japanese Petty style knife. It is all G10. I should have a blade ground out and finished by the middle of next week. I'll probably end up shortening the handle a bit, I'll see where the balance is. Also, I have designed a bit of a challenge for myself. A hidden tang hunting knife with a guard and buttcap. If anyone has instagram dig @Billy_Crustache for my knives and leatherwork.

wahandle3.jpgwahandle.jpgwahandle2.jpg
    hunter.jpg

Last edited:

willyd6869

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Uptown NOLA
    I ended up shortening that handle and making a new leathercraft knife for myself. I'm now in the process of making a small hunting/utility knife. It is all profiled, the bevels are ground to an edge the width of a dime, pin holes drilled, and ready for heat treat.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Nice nail polish in that last photo! Really fantastic work, a true art form and you are extremely talented. Keep us updated on your creations.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    i have a kershaw military boot knife and honestly would love a slightly smaller one in different steel, 1095, or d2, or vg-10 with a better sheath that could be useable from the pocket and/or have a removable clip?

you work looks good, and the knives look practical

willyd6869

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Uptown NOLA
    Thanks for all the compliments yall! I have been enjoying having a workshop again. Here's a photo of the sheath I made for that first knife. I also made a copy for myself to carry. I had a hard time sending that other one off to its new owner. I added a mini bic holster to my sheath just for fun. I've got another straight razor coming up next.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Top Bottom