A few questions from the noobie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Hey guys, new to the site and I'm looking to get some input and opinions regarding a few guns. I'm going to my first CCW class next weekend, and I'm looking for a gun that won't break the bank. I like the ruger LC9, any input?
    Also, I've read several threads placing the M&P over the XDM. Can someone elaborate or refer me to a previous thread? I like the way both feel in my hand, and I go back and forth on which one to get. Any advice or references would be appreciated.
    I'm leaning towards the 9mm as I plan to shoot often, and it's is cheaper and seems more fun to shoot. Thanks to all.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Welcome! I have shot my buddy's LC9 and I liked it very much. Not as snappy as some of the other compacts I've tried. I can't speak at all for the XDM, never shot one. I own a couple of Rugers and have found them to be well-made and fun to shoot. IMO 9mm is the way to go. Cheaper to shoot and is adequate for self defense.

Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Anyone else have any pro's or cons regarding the M&P or the XDM? I've seen several threads where the M&P was favored over the XDM and I'm just wanting some more info before I buy one. Thanks.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Anyone else have any pro's or cons regarding the M&P or the XDM? I've seen several threads where the M&P was favored over the XDM and I'm just wanting some more info before I buy one. Thanks.

Most people who dislike the XD platform do so because of the grip safety. Those who like the XD platform do not mind the grip safety. I own two XD, one full size and one SC, and prefer the stock trigger over the stock M&P by a long shot. The M&P's grip does feel good in my hand though.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have an XDM 9. It handles fine. Also shot an M&P 9 on Saturday. It was nice. I would have to sit at a target and shoot both interchageably for a few rounds to actually decide which is better for me. Go shoot both yourself before buying.

That being said, If you have the means; obviously you must buy both!

I know for certain, I am changing the front site on my XDM at the very least after using that M&P I borrowed.;)

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Don't want to **** on your thread, but you sound like you have the cart before the horse. CCW class before familarizing yourself with your chosen handgun, learning basic handling and controls of that weapon should come first. My 2¢

Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Don't quite follow you. I don't have the lc9 yet, that's why I'm asking everyones opinion. I've never shot the XDM or M$P, that's why I'm asking everyones opinion regarding that. I've already shot several other subcompact guns, so no I don't feel the need to start from square one. If I had never shot before I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Don't quite follow you. I don't have the lc9 yet, that's why I'm asking everyones opinion. I've never shot the XDM or M$P, that's why I'm asking everyones opinion regarding that. I've already shot several other subcompact guns, so no I don't feel the need to start from square one. If I had never shot before I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Now I follow your OP. My initial reading left me the impression you were new to handguns....

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I have the XDM .40 and XDM 9mm. Have shot about 800 flawless rounds thru each. Cant speek for the M&P, but the XDm is an amazing gun. I love my xdm

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I have about 1500 flawless rounds through an xdm 9 ( a few of which was through the previous owner) with little maintance. I use it (xdm 4.5") for competition and it has done very well so far. All of that said, I keep my eyes open for another gun, which would only be a m&p pro 5" or a full size glock which would be a 17 or 34. However, unless I find a good deal on something that fits my hand very well, I'll keep shooting my xdm and doing half decent at local matches considering that is often the only time I use my gun in any given month.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I don't think there's ever been any real question as to the reliability or durability of the XD platform. If for no other reason, that's why it's mentioned alongside the Glock and M&P in these "what should I buy" discussions.

No one (with a clue) is going to say you've got a crappy gun in an XD. Just don't go around touting the superior application of a grip safety, or the greater accuracy of a "match grade" barrel that still magically eats WWB and every other imprecise factory round on the market. :mamoru:

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I don't think there's ever been any real question as to the reliability or durability of the XD platform. If for no other reason, that's why it's mentioned alongside the Glock and M&P in these "what should I buy" discussions.

No one (with a clue) is going to say you've got a crappy gun in an XD. Just don't go around touting the superior application of a grip safety, or the greater accuracy of a "match grade" barrel that still magically eats WWB and every other imprecise factory round on the market. :mamoru:

Very true

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have an M&P pro and an XDM9, both are great. I also have a XD9c and a Keltec PF9. When I first got my PF9 I carried it much more than my XD9c, however I have slowly moved to where I never carry it. It is too big for pocket carry most of the time, and really there isn't that big of difference between carrying the PF9 and XD9c when carrying IWB with a quality belt and holster. If I were looking for a carry guns smaller than the XD sub compacts, M&P compact, Glock 26/27 range it would be a .380 small enough for daily pocket carry, and not one of the small 9's.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I do not think you can go wrong with a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. G19 mags work with G26 and have similar feels, although one is smaller. I would stick to the same brands for your carry and plinker/home defense if you are new to shooting.

Top Bottom