A question for LEO's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I'm just kind of curious how this works. About a year ago my neighbor was arrested for drug paraphanalia and put on diversion he was 18 at the time and hung with the wrong crowd. When I found out what happened I started mentoring him basically teaching him how to work on cars, etc. Keeping him away from the crowd he was in. He's cleaned up now and off diversion. I became friends with him and he works for my shop now. He was with me the other day and I got pulled over, no tags, just bought the car, I have thirty days to register it so no big deal but they ran his liscense and saw his record. All of a sudden I got profiled for drug use my car searched and everything else. Of course nothing was found. I basically have two questions from the incident. How long after the diversion will it take for the charge to not be visible. And second how is it people are suppose to stay away from their old life and friends to get clean, when the people that befriend them are being profiled for being with them. It really pisses me off because here he is a year later not back on drugs. Getting his life straight and because I took a chance on him I get punished. I have chp, own class iii guns, theres no way I would risk that or my reputation and its extremely embarrassing being searched in public like that having to sit on the hood of a police car. If I had just met him I probably wouldnt have taken the time to help keep him away from his old lifestyle after that. How do you expect people to change if you punish people willing to take a chance on them?

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Why didn't you refuse the search?

I didnt have time to wait around for them to bring the dogs, plus the car was purchased in a private sale and had yet to be detailed, I wasn't really sure if the previous owner may have had any drugs hidden it. They really looked like meth heads. I really didnt know what to do in that situation. Either way I was nervous as to what might be in it as I had barely looked through the stuff in the first place. I decided if there was anything in it I would have a better chance of the officers missing it then the dogs, as it turned out when I detailed it there was nothing so I probably should have refused search amd let them bring the dogs out.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    To add to that, my assumption has always been that if you refuse search they bring out the dogs because it makes them think your hiding something, I've never been in that situation and dont really know or understand the formalities.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    So you were driving a car that you assumed might be dirty? With no plates? And you think the Police did you wrong and Profiled you because your passenger had a prior drug related arrest?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So you were driving a car that you assumed might be dirty? With no plates? And you think the Police did you wrong and Profiled you because your passenger had a prior drug related arrest?

Must agree! You cannot wave your Constitutional doo-rag on this one. Well, you can; but this is one of those REALLY fine lines. They had reasonable suspicion you were a potential scumbag.

Your own lack of confidence in your own vehicle passing legal muster is a deal killer for you on many levels.

As for your other part of the question; try this: My older brother was arrested in New Orleans for shooting rabbits inside city limits 40 years ago. Got an illegal discharge in city limits charge. He still can't buy a gun and leave the store with it. ;)

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La

I'm just trying to figure out how I should handle such a situation. As far as me assuming the car might be dirty, It's only because of the people I got it from not the car otself. I didnt start this thread to start a cop bashing **** storm. I had the car for less than 24 hours on a weekend there was no way to get plates. I just want to know are all stops with someone who has a record like that. Excuse me for not knowing how this works. I understand they were just doing there job, but how can it be avoided. Sitting on a main road being searched with everyone passing by is embarrasing and I'm just curious if that is common procedure everytime someone with a record is stopped. I dont want to be profiled as a criminal.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The kid that was your passenger has no other arrest on his record? And you know this how? I'm sorry but it looks like the Local Constabulary was doing good proactive police work in this case. Sorry you were embarrassed or offended. You have a right to decline the search execute it next time. I doubt they bring a dog out. FYI no Liscence Plate will get you stopped alot.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I'm just trying to figure out how I should handle such a situation. As far as me assuming the car might be dirty, It's only because of the people I got it from not the car otself. I didnt start this thread to start a cop bashing **** storm. I had the car for less than 24 hours on a weekend there was no way to get plates. I just want to know are all stops with someone who has a record like that. Excuse me for not knowing how this works. I understand they were just doing there job, but how can it be avoided. Sitting on a main road being searched with everyone passing by is embarrasing and I'm just curious if that is common procedure everytime someone with a record is stopped. I dont want to be profiled as a criminal.

Here are some bullet points for avoidin the embarrassing situation in the future:

- don't drive the car until you get tags.

- if you buy a vehicle from dope fiends clean and search it immediately.

- if stopped as asked to give consent to search say no.

- Know with certainty there is no dope or paraphernalia in your car.

To be honest I don't think it had much to do with your passengers record. My guess is the no tags and dirty car were enough for the cops to ask for consent to search. When you grant that consent of course they are for going to search.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    The kid that was your passenger has no other arrest on his record? And you know this how? I'm sorry but it looks like the Local Constabulary was doing good proactive police work in this case. Sorry you were embarrassed or offended. You have a right to decline the search execute it next time. I doubt they bring a dog out. FYI no Liscence Plate will get you stopped alot.

I dont hang around with felons. the stigma and all.

i dont understand why if you and I go into the piney woods during deer season and you wear brown and put antlers on and we get shot at... i have a reasonable expectation that no one will think you were a deer and bullets wont be flying my way too

or not

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    My main concern is how to handle the situation that was the first time in 4 years that I had been pulled over, and the first time I have ever been searched. I havent been pulled over since high school and then I was jist cited for speeding and on my way. I dont know how these interactions are supppose to go and my referemce is from dumbasses with a camera on the internet.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Here are some bullet points for avoidin the embarrassing situation in the future:

- don't drive the car until you get tags.

- if you buy a vehicle from dope fiends clean and search it immediately.

- if stopped as asked to give consent to search say no.

- Know with certainty there is no dope or paraphernalia in your car.

To be honest I don't think it had much to do with your passengers record. My guess is the no tags and dirty car were enough for the cops to ask for consent to search. When you grant that consent of course they are for going to search.

Thank you I know that much.

I also know the no tags is what caused the stop on the first place. It was my fault for assuming that buying the car less than 24 hours ago was enough of an excuse to be left alone. It shook me up being searched and I just wanted to know how other leo's handle it. WMPD has a reputation for doing things different to say the least.

Mods please delete thread before it turns into a **** storm as most cop threads around here do I have my answer.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    You could always lock it......
    The cops were just doing their job I'm sure. Someone had a record and they followed through. It is what is suppose to happen. Why wouldn't they? I wouldn't think a cop should be complacent. Most cops I have talked to have a "6th" sense. It isn't always right but it keeps them going home every shift.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    The cops were just doing their job I'm sure. Someone had a record and they followed through. It is what is suppose to happen. Why wouldn't they? I wouldn't think a cop should be complacent. Most cops I have talked to have a "6th" sense. It isn't always right but it keeps them going home every shift.

I know there just doing there job. But the only thing that even had me questioning was the whole thing about felons arent alowed to be around other felons(he's not a felon just making a comparison) so who are they suppose to be around if upstanding citizens dont want to be around them then it seems they will just always fall back into their old lifestyle.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

+1

I have a taillight that goes in and out which I know is PC for a stop. I've been stopped a few times. What's funny is that if you tap it it comes back on. The guys that have stopped me just laugh and send me on my way. Just go with it, why make a big deal out of something so small?

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I understand what you're getting at in the thread... How is he supposed to overcome his past and move forward being a better person, yet continues to get profiled as a BG because his record comes up when his DL is ran?

It goes back to the old adage.
    "A bridgebuilder builds 100 bridges his entire life, does you know what with one Pecker and is called a ****sucker the rest of his life!"

I don't know how he can escape the identity he earned with that offense, I thought when things are expunged they no longer appear after they complete the program?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Sorry to say, buddy- but in many cases those feelings are very much warranted. Please be careful.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I understand what you're getting at in the thread... How is he supposed to overcome his past and move forward being a better person, yet continues to get profiled as a BG because his record comes up when his DL is ran?

It goes back to the old adage.
    "A bridgebuilder builds 100 bridges his entire life, does you know what with one Pecker and is called a ****sucker the rest of his life!"

I don't know how he can escape the identity he earned with that offense, I thought when things are expunged they no longer appear after they complete the program?

Thats pretty much what I'm getting at.

And ole heat. He has definitely made a change for the better, he's actually trying to get on with the fire department. Hes passed all the test and talked to the chief about his record when they start hiring again he's on the list.

Some people can change I was just raised to give people the benefit of the doubt. My parents always hired halfway house guys at there rv dealership when I was growing up sometimes they got screwed but that one person out of ten they were able to get in church and truly make a difference in made up for the others.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Best of luck to you and your friend. Hopefully he has changed for the better.

And get your plates on that car before you go driving it again.

Top Bottom