A question for LEO's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Diversion means he doesn't go before a judge for the charge unless he screws up before being finished. It does not mean automatic expungement of the offense from his record unless particular steps are taken through the judge and courts to achieve that. The majority of first offense DWIs that go through our municipal court are handled by pleading under article 894, it stays off of their driving record, but our local records still reflect the offense. Having that initial charge completely wiped from existence in his records will take a fair amount of paperwork.

You didn't get "profiled," you were stopped for a legitimate reason, and during the course of investigation of the stop the officers noted other circumstances that aroused their suspicion, and then took appropriate actions to either confirm or alleviate those suspicions. Once the suspicions were alleviated, didn't they then let you go?

How is this event going to mess up his life changes? He was briefly suspected but then vindicated.

Consider it from the eyes of the cops: A car they possibly even recognize from the previous shady owners you mention, suddenly seen with no tag giving perfectly valid reason to stop, yet again someone within the car has a drug history, where would you think they would go with those circumstances? Just having one drug arrest doesn't mean the person only committed one offense, it just means the person was CAUGHT once. Who do you think police see more frequently, people who learn their lesson and are never heard from again, or people who never learn their lesson and keep on breaking the law?

I don't know what your or his demeanor was like during the stop, but this may have been more of a positive than you know. Perhaps if the cops do recognize that car but now know it's not owned by the previous shady owners, they won't give it a second glance. Perhaps if they see him again and recall someone who came across as sincerely changed, they will blow off stopping the next car they see him in for some minor infraction. Perhaps they may give more benefit of the doubt to the next person they see you riding around with because they perceived someone making an honest living and giving someone a chance. Maybe they'll know to spend their time checking out someone else. Or, maybe, they'll remember two guys giving exasperated sighs, glaring and crossing their arms, and making snide ******** remarks about "profiling."

as far as his life changes it won't. I just wondered how long before he can move on with jumping through extra hoops. As far as our demeanor I was cooperative and asked a lot of questions like I am here. So probably more annoying than anything. He didn't really say anything unless spoken too.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Interesting 'fact'
    Scotus has ruled that on a traffic stop if no one claims narcotics you ALL take the charge. Then you get to use 'my attorney' in court!

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

Top Bottom