A Thought on Anti-2A Types...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I typically don't engage the true believers in the "guns are bad" camp, but I couldn't sit idly by earlier tonight and got tangled up in the "discussion"-- if you consider talking to a brick wall discourse, at any rate.

It occurred to me that the primary reason I was having so much difficulty reaching this person was that they honestly lived in a dream world of sunshine and lollipops. A loose quote from them: "You can choose to be paranoid and arm yourself to the teeth, or choose to trust the people who live around you and work on making this a safer reality for everyone."

Considering the kid lives less than 15 minutes from the Lower 9 and St. Roch, and a stone's throw from where the Hollygrove used to be... I found that to be pretty hilarious.

And then it hit me. The kid never leaves a 20 square block part of the city where his type is not only the norm... it's the only type there is! :doh:

So here's a question for those of you who know true anti-gun people:

Have any one of them been directly exposed to violence in their lives, or the lives of those they care about?

Obviously, there's going to be some. Brady and his wife being an obvious example, as well as one of their other co-founders IIRC. But as a general trend... are they just really sheltered people as a whole?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    So here's a question for those of you who know true anti-gun people:

Have any one of them been directly exposed to violence in their lives, or the lives of those they care about?

?

I know a couple.

They ended up like one case I'm particularely proud of.

Guy was mugged with hsi wife, knife to his (Or her, I forget) throat etc...
    Voted for 'The Big O' the first time around.

Then he met me.

He now CCW's daily, is 'a right wing extremist' owns several black rifles, and is a member here....

"Conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality."

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    The fact of the matter is just because these people want to live in a dream world where they pretend evil doesn't exist does not make it so. Because I choose to be prepared for the unlikely, but possible scenario of having to defend myself agains crime, evil, or tyranny shouldn't be any business of theirs. If they want to continue to live in their delusional utopia let them. But don't force me to conform to your way of thinking just because the tools of my trade scare you.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    It's all a balancing act. But...one thing for sure is this. The more you own....the more wealth you have and acquire...the bigger a target you become for being a vicim of crime. And it depends on whether you are single or married with a family.
    Let's face it....it all gets back to the "haves" and the "have nots." So it's easier for a 20 year old kid with no children who rents and rides a bicycle to not fear becoming a victim of crime.

On the other hand.....Take a doctor with a young wife...both driving a Mercedes or BMW.
    You can bet that the thugs of the world will target the doctor long before they do a home invasion of the 20 year old riding his bike.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The fact of the matter is just because these people want to live in a dream world where they pretend evil doesn't exist does not make it so. Because I choose to be prepared for the unlikely, but possible scenario of having to defend myself agains crime, evil, or tyranny shouldn't be any business of theirs. If they want to continue to live in their delusional utopia let them. But don't force me to conform to your way of thinking just because the tools of my trade scare you.

Great points-- I made them as well in the discussion.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    My aunt (the woman who raised me) was held up at gun point when she was younger. She is extremely passive and has told me on several occasions that she would rather die than defend herself with a gun. I actually feel sad for her but unfortunately there are many people who feel the same way. While she respects my views on guns her partner (a former correctional officer in California) would like to see all guns banned. There is no discussing this with her. No matter how much proof or how many statistics I quote, her response is always the same "Why does anybody need an assault rifle if not to kill people?" There is absolutely no way to have a meaningful debate with someone who feels this emotionally about anything.

DiggerP

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    I understand what JC is saying because I have a similar situation with a good friend. Although we've known each other some 25 years, she is definitely a feel-good, lollipop liberal LOL!

She happened to stop by not two weeks ago while I was checking out my new break down case for the AR... and we had a discussion. She used almost the exact same words -- "Why does anyone need that except to kill people?"

My reply was honest: That's EXACTLY what one of the purposes of this tool can be for. I hope to God it never serves its purpose as a tool for that, but I keep it in great condition, I practice, I train and I learn to the best of my ability. If that particular tool must be used, I pray that it will serve it's purpose to prevent a similar tool being used against me or my family.

But by itself, it's just a thing. It never does anything without my specific direction or control. Do you think I have any other purpose than to kill people?

Before she left she was holding it LOL!

Last edited:

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    My aunt (the woman who raised me) was held up at gun point when she was younger. She is extremely passive and has told me on several occasions that she would rather die than defend herself with a gun.

I wonder if she would feel the same to have her partner murdered in front of her? Isn't that what she would be allowing to happen from her partner's point of view?

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    If someone would rather die then defend them self then evolution has a way of weeding those people out. You can morally object to taking another life even if it means your death. That's fine, I won't try to change that. But don't try to force those views on me. Don't make it harder to defend me and my family just because you refuse to.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Some people just don't think "it can't happen to them".
    Many co-workers of mine are perfect examples. Many grew up in rich, loving familes, and of course they work in a place where background checks and constant monitoring are the norm. They have no idea what it's like to have people killed execution style on their street, or wake up and see on the news that people in their town wearing LE issued body-armor have wiped out an entire family with ACTUAL assault-rifles. I grew up around that, and I know the world is a nasty place, so I just smile and go about my business. Some of them will figure it out, some won't, but me talking isn't going to do it, and the work-place isn't the venue for it.

Last edited:

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I had this exchange on another non-firearm forum. People are really, really naive and do not understand the predator mindset of violent criminals.

Me said:
    It's all about mindset. Many people do not and probably do not want to think this aspect through. You call it fear; I call it reality. It's realizing that criminals are animals of opportunity. They can be singular or travel in packs. They also do not conform to societal mores. They do not care if you are an infant, teenager, adult, or elderly. Physical ability of their prey does not matter. One thing is universal: We do not have the luxury of knowing when they will attack.

Them said:
    This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

You make them sound like the ****ing Chupakabra.
    No wonder you need that gun!

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    My wife's cousin and I have gone back and forth over this several times. He believes that only those with military training should own guns. Even feels that the military should take over the jobs of local LEO's, as they are not capable of doing their job (according to him). His mother was raped and killed years ago, and he refuses to see the fact that the bad guy would have done what he did regardless of the weapon at hand. I finally had to just give up even talking to the guy.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I think many of you are missing a very important element to these anti-2A mindsets. If you really dig down deep and (hold on), actually get them to be truthful, you would probably find that after it's all said and done, their sentiment boils down to the side they are on.

In this case, very few people who consider themselves right of center on socio-political issues cheerlead or advocate for gun control or more restrictions on guns. However, those that are willing to dismiss personal liberty and freedoms almost always characterize themselves as liberals, or leftists, or the new buzz word; progessives.

I would love to believe that this gun issue broke down to those who are informed versus those that are not; and that is the case in rare instances. But I don't see that across the board.

As with everything it seems, my side this, and my side that! True independent thought is a rare bird these days.

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    When I lived in Marrero there was a little store on the corner of Eighty Arpent and Barataria I usd to get coffee every morning. Beautiful young Korean college girl used to work morning shift. One day I came home and turned on the news to see 2 idiot thugs had shot her for no reason during a robbery. I even saw the tape where she had given them everything they asked for and was pleading with them. Her parents sold the store after that.

I often wonder how many people could have something like that happen in their lives and not decide to do something to protect yourself and loved ones. Yet, I have met people too who say they would rather die than own a gun. I think it's a self-defeatist mentality but hey, I'm not Dr. hil.

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    I dated this girl back in college who later broke up with me before I commissioned in the army. She was a conscientious objector who honestly believed if the U.S. did away with its military, then the other countries of the world will follow. Kum ba yah, ignorance is bliss

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    People buy insurance to prepare for the unexpected. People stock up food rations and supplies to prepare for hurricanes. Same ideology for guns. The anti gunners run on emotion and not facts. Even my somewhat, liberal Canadian wife agrees....don't give up your guns and work for a living. She doesn't believe in a welfare state either. The left just doesn't get it!

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    They miss the point of the second amendment. it's not about hunting, its only partly about crime. It was put there so we the people could defend ourselves against government if necessary. The government is trying to erode our rights. That should send up a warning flag right there. To rule, they must disarm the populace. They they can do whatever they want and no one will be able to stand up to them. That's why we need military type rifles, and large capacity magazines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bbroussard
    Top Bottom