A WIN for us! SB51 signed into law (keeping guns in vehicle at work)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    It annoys me how the article was written to insinuate that it only helps you if you accidentally leave a gun in your vehicle. Anyone else get that?

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The was it seems to me is that its intention is to allow hunters to have a gun in their vehicles a few times a year. It doesn't sound like its written to appease people like me who keep a gun in the vehicle most all of the time.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I'm glad employees can at least protect themselves to and from work. Having my own business and being pro gun this ruling has no effect on me. :D

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    looks like bill doesn't apply if parking lot has a gate or guard shack (like exxon).

Which is utterly retarded. People aren't wanting to carry guns in their cars to defend themselves in the parking lot. Point of fact, once you get out of the car and into the actual parking lot, your gun is still in the car and might as well be miles away. People want to carry guns in their car to defend themselves on the way to work. They will still be denied that very right to do so if their employer decides to hire a rent-a-cop and stick him in a tool shed in the parking lot. That provision in the bill almost renders the whole thing useless. They also took the "teeth" out of it when they removed the ability to charge companies fines for not complying.

I SOOOOOOOOOO NEED TO RUN FOR OFFICE. It could happen.....I didn't "inhale" either.......

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    That was a waste of time........Jindal better shut his pie hole on tv about La citizens having right to self defense. This bill is all but useless

I appreciate we have some of the best gun laws in the Nation but I always want more.

Sure most of us wrote the letters and emails and made phone calls, we just gotta keep pushin till the the right endowed by God is ok with the state.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    looks like bill doesn't apply if parking lot has a gate or guard shack (like exxon).

LOL.........and Conoco Phillips and Citgo........here is prime example that money walked, walked right over the 2 nd amendment

AND NO Spanky I know that B J didn't write the bill, I'm saying I'm disappointed in the whole thing. Glad that we got something on the books but big money definently walked.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    what if the guard isnt armed? my work has a parking lot that is partially fenced in, but still accessible without having to pass the guard, which the guard isnt armed anyway.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    to the nay sayers, the purpose of the law was to affirm your vehicle being an extension of your home, therefore your right to keep the firearm in it. Louisiana is trying to walk the fine line of private property owner's rights - carrying in a place that doesn't want guns is a decision for the property owner, if you don't like it don't go there.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    what if the guard isnt armed? my work has a parking lot that is partially fenced in, but still accessible without having to pass the guard, which the guard isnt armed anyway.

Proposed law does not apply to:
    (1)
    Any property where the possession of firearms is prohibited under state or federal
    law.
    (2)
    Any vehicle owned or leased by a public or private employer or business entity and
    used by an employee in the course of his employment, except for those employees
    who are required to transport or store a firearm in the official discharge of their
    duties.
    (3)
    Any vehicles on property controlled by a public or private employer or business
    entity if:
    (a)
    Access is restricted or limited through the use of a fence, gate, security
    station,signage,orothermeansofrestrictingorlimitinggeneralaccesstothe
    parking area.
    (b)
    The employer or business entity provides an alternate parking area
    reasonably close to the main parking area in which employees and other
    persons may transport or store firearms in locked, privately-owned motor
    vehicles.
    Effective on August 15, 2008.

Top Bottom