AAR VATA Group Intro to Tactical Carbine, Covington LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zonblitz

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Slidell LA
    VATA Group Intro to Tactical Carbine
    5/23/10
    Instructor: Greg Lapin, Destin Mounts, Gary Kessel.
    Weather; Sunny, humid 94F
    This is my 3rd VATA Class but first with the carbine I'd like to thank them for an outstanding period of instruction.

Our day started out with a discussion on the basics of marksmanship, stance, gear set up, rifle set up, zeroing and the different zeros out there. We had a mixed group of students. Some with LEO experience and a couple with no formal training.

The past 2 attempts at this class were cancelled due to heavy rain so this time we were hoping for sun. We were rewarded.

We started out zeroing out rifles at 50 both with irons and optics.

Greg and Gary covered magazine changes, transitions, target engagement, post engagement, malfunctions, positional shooting (kneeling, prone) . They also made sure we knew where to aim when taking up an unusual position barricade use, (behind cover) in order to make hits. We ended the day with some light competition and some steel shooting at 150 yds.

I enjoyed shooting from the all distances during this course especially up close for multiple target drills. Most of my experience with rifles of any kind has been from long distance.

Gear wise I used my Bushmaster A3 with Eotech (and dpms irons) and 2 point sling. I wore my duty gear and Raid vest for most of the day after zeroing was done. I found it very useful training positional with all the gear on and finding out what I can and can't do and finding out how quickly I can change positions with all the gear on. I learned what gear I like, what I don't like and what I would like to change about my gear.

Overall I had a great time. I enjoy watching Greg, Destin and Gary teach and they provide a well organized class. The only down time was a 15 minute lunch break and occasional water breaks, after all it was 94 degrees pretty humid and gear doesn't help. With only 7 shooters in class we were shooting most of the day. I burned through roughly 300 rounds. I had one magazine related malfunction and one self-induced malfunction. My weapon held up perfectly through the day though we proactively added oil at least twice.

I lent some older mags to a classmate and he had some FTF issues (which we determined to be my mags), needless to say those will be replaced.

Anyone that has ever thought about taking an VATA Group training class should step up. They offer top notch training at the right price. I'm going to attend their other pistol and carbine follow-ups for sure.

My classmates, myself included made comments all day about how info packed the class was and how we had never heard/learned so much of the info/tactics before.

I'd also like to add that VATA did a great job making sure everyone stayed hydrated and fueled up. For as hot as it was with the addition of wearing gear everyone stayed safe and went home safe. Greg as usual keeps straws on hand.

I'm sure others can chime in with some things I missed but I always learn something when I attend the VATA classes; about tactics, my gear, my weapon and myself.

Great class, great instruction!

Thanks again to Greg, Detsin and Gary.

Last edited:

Smoker

La. POST Firearms Inst.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Gretna, La
    I also atended the couse and aggree with EVERYTHING Kenny stated in his comments.

As a Louisiana P.O.S.T. Firearms Instructor I can only add that the guys at VATA are true professionals..... Anyone with the oppertunity to attend a VATA course should jump at it.

God Speed

zonblitz

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Slidell LA
    It was my first carbine class with them and everyone was using the AR/M4 platform.

I would email them or use the contact page on their website.

Lobo77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Slidell
    VATA training

I'm attempting to find some schedule for the VATA training. I'm looking for a more detailed description of the training ie: lenght of each class,fees,ammo needed;special gear (if any),location etc. Also, how does this training compare with places like Frontsight or Gunsight. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    They guys are out on deployment right now so you wont have any schedulle courses until they come back.

VATA group is A+ and eventhough they are new in the training market they will get to be one of the places to go in the future, we just need to remember to give them as much support as we can since they are in our area, and its very easy for them to move to another State who gives them the market if we dont.

Location is in Covington, LA at their private facility, cost of course will depend on the course that you are attempting to go to. Just like any other formal training institute you will be required to take a basic course before you can take a level 1 course.

So basically you will have to take Intro to Tactical Pistol, before you can take Tactical Pistol Level 1, unless you can provide them with a certificate from another academy saying that you have the fundamentals.

Fronsight is a NO NO for me.

Gunsite is +A+, and if you are interested in Gunsite we have a local Firearms Instructor in Louisiana who has been an Instructor at Gunsite in Arizona for years, he has a private range and does courses as well.

Greg Lapin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Hey guys,

Sorry for being off the map for a while. We have been crazy busy traveling, training some government clients and until recently have had limited internet access. I can assure you Destin and I are not ghillied up in a hide out at the ranges.;) I am scheduled to be home the beginning of September and will hopefully have some courses posted on the calender in the next couple of days for the first two weeks of September. We appreciate your guys patience and enthusiasm. Hopefully we'll be meeting all of you soon.

Stay in the fight,
    Greg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom