Accidental shooting at Cabela's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    In his defense he didn't dry fire it as it turns out.

Most modern .22lr are OK to dry fire. It depends on if the firing pin has a stop or will reach the breech face. Some older guns did have FP's that would damage a breech. You can use drywall anchors (#4 or #6??) as a snap cap for a .22lr. They feed and eject very well.

Nice would have never thought to try that.

Last edited:

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    I understand that ... I have and use snap caps myself. My point was that it was a .22 LR and shouldn't have been dry firing a new .22 like that anyway.

NO biggie ..

Rusty

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Safe Direction
    Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch
    Drop Magazine
    Clear Chamber
    Keep in Safe Direction
    Squeeze Trigger

If humbruh can't figure that out, he needs to go back to flippin' burgers.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Neither would I. I had to copy off of somebody!

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you say that?

I know on the older guns and even some of the newer (cheaper) guns when you dry fire it the firing pin can and often contacts the edge of the breach and repeatedly doing this the metal would likely begin to wear. Now I never had that happen to me. I own one little mossberg plinkster, but from a young age I was always told not to do that and I was cussed a time or two for doing it as a kid.
    As an adult I have tested it out on my plinkster and it wasnt damaged on a couple of tests. But you can tell with your ears that the pin hits the breech. If you pull the bolt out of battery just slightly and release the hammer it is much quieter. Obiously my test wasnt scientific but I was able to determine that model probably sould not be dry fired.

I kind of wonder if the drywall hanger snaps would be hard enough to damage the pin.

Last edited:

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    There were several guys behind the gun counters there and other large sporting goods store that get in the habit of playing with guns, and by placing muzzle to Palm and tapping the muzzle, dry (until now) firing, or general fidgeting. I don't know why anyone thinks that's an OK behavior.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    There were several guys behind the gun counters there and other large sporting goods store that get in the habit of playing with guns, and by placing muzzle to Palm and tapping the muzzle, dry (until now) firing, or general fidgeting. I don't know why anyone thinks that's an OK behavior.

They spend all day with guns that never go bang. Familiarity breads complacentcy. Its stupid but its human nature to become lax with something that is suposed to be dangerous but never proves it. In my opinion shooting regularly gives you a secondary benefit of reminding you "guns go bang". It sounds elementry but in reality it just makes sense. Think about the animal trainers who drop their guard and get mauled by a bear or lion. I'm not excussing it by any means but chances are you when never have to tell that guy again about muzzeling himself.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    They spend all day with guns that never go bang. Familiarity breads complacentcy. Its stupid but its human nature to become lax with something that is suposed to be dangerous but never proves it. In my opinion shooting regularly gives you a secondary benefit of reminding you "guns go bang". It sounds elementry but in reality it just makes sense. Think about the animal trainers who drop their guard and get mauled by a bear or lion. I'm not excussing it by any means but chances are you when never have to tell that guy again about muzzeling himself.

There is some bad handling of gun due to that.

To quote a member here:
    "Positive outcomes reinforce bad tactics."
    Who was the member that said it? I know. Do any of y'all remember?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    All I heard is that it happened in the gun library.

Then there is a good chance that it was a used gun, and some moron failed to check it when adding it the inventory. It doesn't take away the fact that dumdum still shot himself and failed to check it himself, but it would make sense. There have been multiple used firearms in the gun library. I walked in one day and found a used M&P9 Pro and a 870 Police right next to some single action revolvers lol.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    There is some bad handling of gun due to that.

To quote a member here:
    "Positive outcomes reinforce bad tactics."
    Who was the member that said it? I know. Do any of y'all remember?

Not sure who said it but its truth. Another way I heard it is "practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent."

Top Bottom