Aftermarket Charging Handle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I know they make charging handles that stick out a bit to the side for easier manipulation of the bolt once optics are added. I have scopes on my AR15 and AR10 that make it a little harder to reach. I know they have aftermarket charging handles that are desigined to aid you but I am not sure of any good brands or where to get them. I know someone has to have some 411 on this.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    IMHO, stick with factory colt or quality charging handles... a lot of the ubertactical untis are made out of inferior aluminum and if your charging handle bends, you are pretty screwed.

The wide latch allows more lateral force than the charging handle was designed to take. Under hard use, that will occasionally lead to a failue. Talk to trainers who see all that **** on the range every day...

just my $.02. I'm sure everyone that has a tac latch is about to say how it has never bound up. Duly noted. I just don't see running the factory charging handle as a problem in any way shape or form...

Your right, it could bind under heavy operational use, but for the average shooter, everything should be fine. I have had them on rifles with 10k rounds, and I have seen them on USMC rifles for 100K+. In my experience, the one failure I saw was the actual latch spring and not the charging handle itself, and that was due to severe overheating.

That said, Pangris makes a valid point about the lateral force.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Point noted but I'm not an "operator" in the **** like people like to think they are. If it breaks I can get another. If I am on say a hunt and it breaks I can drop the first round into the chamber by hand by pulling the take down pin and removing the bolt. The gun will cycle the rest.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Or you could just get the PRI Gas Buster setup. Most people swear they are worth selling your soul to the devil for.

Top Bottom