All UN small arms/reloading treaty threads

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Let's say this IS ratified... can someone summarize what affect it would actually have upon our gun community. Maybe I'm out of the loop but it all seems like a grey area to me

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Thanks.

What I'm hearing is that it may require notifications of the imported weapon's end user to the manufacturer? I.e. I buy retail, a benelli shotgun to hunt with and the US Gov is required to send my "end-user" info back to Italy. I assume the only way this can be accomplished is through registration? All speculation here too. Just wanted to see if anyone had some concrete on it.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    If obammy, holder and kerry are for it, then by definition it must be bad for us. And it will be "on the books" for any Senate group to ratify at any future time, not just the current bunch, IIRC.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    U.N. Gun Ban Treaty

I haven't seen a huge of mention of it in the news, but yesterday Kerry and Obama did in fact sign the U.N. gun ban treaty. I realize it has to go to the senate to be ratified, but with all the misdirection lately who knows what will happen with it. Yet another thing to make noise about to our elected officials. It's getting to be a full time job!

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    It's another hot button item they can use to divert attention away from Obamacare , etc. The Dems love to use misdirection to sneak their agenda past the people .

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    We are just 5 years into the most discouraging and embarrassing "modern day" presidency the United States of America has ever seen. Those people (ideologically opposite or not), who would take this pretender at his word on ANYTHING that opposes his own agenda; are just irresponsible if not totally clinically retarded!

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    The Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) is a multilateral treaty to regulate the international trade in conventional arms. The Treaty was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on April 2, 2013 and opened for signature on June 3, 2013. As of July 31, 2013, more than 80 States have signed the Treaty. The United States worked closely with our international partners during the negotiations to secure a treaty that advances global security and respects national sovereignty and the legitimate arms trade. The United States welcomes the opening of the Treaty for signature, and we look forward to signing it as soon as the UN satisfactorily completes the process of conforming the official translations.

United States Signs Arms Trade Treaty on September 25, 2013
    *Make no mistake, we would never think about supporting a treaty that is inconsistent with the rights of Americans citizens to be able to exercise their guaranteed rights under our constitution.* Secretary John Kerry

KEY U.S. REDLINES

The Second Amendment to the Constitution must be upheld.
    There will be no restrictions on civilian possession or trade of firearms otherwise permitted by law or protected by the U.S. Constitution.
    There will be no dilution or diminishing of sovereign control over issues involving the private acquisition, ownership, or possession of firearms, which must remain matters of domestic law.
    The U.S. will oppose provisions inconsistent with existing U.S. law or that would unduly interfere with our ability to import, export, or transfer arms in support of our national security and foreign policy interests.
    The international arms trade is a legitimate commercial activity, and otherwise lawful commercial trade in arms must not be unduly hindered.
    There will be no requirement for reporting on or marking and tracing of ammunition or explosives.
    There will be no lowering of current international standards.
    Existing nonproliferation and export control regimes must not be undermined.
    The ATT negotiations must have consensus decision making to allow us to protect U.S. equities.
    There will be no mandate for an international body to enforce an ATT.

http://www.state.gov/t/isn/armstradetreaty/

divealso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    Who thinks it will stop there?

The Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) is a multilateral treaty to regulate the international trade in conventional arms. The Treaty was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on April 2, 2013 and opened for signature on June 3, 2013. As of July 31, 2013, more than 80 States have signed the Treaty. The United States worked closely with our international partners during the negotiations to secure a treaty that advances global security and respects national sovereignty and the legitimate arms trade. The United States welcomes the opening of the Treaty for signature, and we look forward to signing it as soon as the UN satisfactorily completes the process of conforming the official translations.

United States Signs Arms Trade Treaty on September 25, 2013
    *Make no mistake, we would never think about supporting a treaty that is inconsistent with the rights of Americans citizens to be able to exercise their guaranteed rights under our constitution.* Secretary John Kerry

KEY U.S. REDLINES

The Second Amendment to the Constitution must be upheld.
    There will be no restrictions on civilian possession or trade of firearms otherwise permitted by law or protected by the U.S. Constitution.
    There will be no dilution or diminishing of sovereign control over issues involving the private acquisition, ownership, or possession of firearms, which must remain matters of domestic law.
    The U.S. will oppose provisions inconsistent with existing U.S. law or that would unduly interfere with our ability to import, export, or transfer arms in support of our national security and foreign policy interests.
    The international arms trade is a legitimate commercial activity, and otherwise lawful commercial trade in arms must not be unduly hindered.
    There will be no requirement for reporting on or marking and tracing of ammunition or explosives.
    There will be no lowering of current international standards.
    Existing nonproliferation and export control regimes must not be undermined.
    The ATT negotiations must have consensus decision making to allow us to protect U.S. equities.
    There will be no mandate for an international body to enforce an ATT.

http://www.state.gov/t/isn/armstradetreaty/
    ion
    If the Senate ratifies this, does anyone think gun restrictions will stop there?

ditto1958

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    West Monroe
    I wrote her awhile back to voice my opposition to the treaty. I could kick myself for not saving the ridiculous (and downright scary) response I received from her. IIRC, the logic she used for supporting the treaty was to tell me how many other nations in the U.N. supported it. Like that makes it a good idea!!? If I'm not mistaken, I seem to recall reading that Canada did not sign the treaty. Should that tell you something, Mary?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom