American Exceptionalism...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    It’ll be the closest to the U8 that we peons can get.
    I'm a lover of Lexus, and for good reason. Lexus lasts, and with far-fewer problems throughout their life. I would never spend $150k on a vehicle regardless of monetary status/position. I'm just not that guy. I grew up poor and have not forgotten it.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Chickens are why we can't have nice things.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I'm just pondering the idea of a 2024 GX. At $65k-$85k the GX is a far cry from the U8's $150k price tag (not that I'd buy a U8. I just commented on its appearance).

Refusing to be impulsive, I'll chew on the idea of a '24-'25 GX for a while.
    2 things,

That Lexus is a 4 runner... I'm sure it has a better ride and more do-dads, but still a 4 runner.

it has a turbo motor, which Toyota does not have much experience with. that alone would steer me clear, if I did not already not like Toyota products.

it is a body on frame, which could be a plus for driveline noise isolation, but that is not something Toyota is well known for so...

It is overpriced, however Toyota/Lexus stuff holds its value mainly due to the rabidity of the owner base thinking the cars are special. Likely you will sell the car eventually so holding good resale is a plus.

I have been seeing the continual decline of vehicle quality, which has accelerated (pun intended) since COVID. Not sure I would buy a new car, unless I lived close to the dealer.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Do you yell directly in the yangwang...? Is the yangwang in your mouth?

I feel like it may be too soon, but I have a feeling that if HKUMP was still with us he would have something to say about the efficacy of the yangwang...

From what I saw, it comes with a wireless mic.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    2 things,

That Lexus is a 4 runner... I'm sure it has a better ride and more do-dads, but still a 4 runner.

it has a turbo motor, which Toyota does not have much experience with. that alone would steer me clear, if I did not already not like Toyota products.

it is a body on frame, which could be a plus for driveline noise isolation, but that is not something Toyota is well known for so...
    My 1987 Toyota pickup truck was body on frame. So I guess at least 36 years of experience doesn't count. I'm pretty sure every 4 Runner assembled and sold was body on frame too.

Ditto Toyota's turbocharged engine, 1987 in the Supra. Toyota also sold turbocharged 4-cyl. pickups in 1985-86 and a turbocharged MR2 sports car. So that was again 37 + years ago.

Toyota/Lexus build way better vehicles than any American brand. Long term reliability data prove this time and time again. Like JD Power and others. Disclaimer-- I now own and drive a Chevy.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    a quote on line: "The 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo is iconic for its legendary 2JZ-GTE engine. This inline 6-cylinder engine was famous for its immense tuning potential and reliability. The 2JZ-GTE engine produced 276 horsepower and 318 pound-feet of torque in stock form."

That was 276 HP from a 180 CI turbo engine, as stock from Toyota. Also known to be modified, and with more boost. Some guys making five or six hundred HP with more boost, forged pistons, cylinder head porting, and larger turbos. Severely hot rodded.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm a lover of Lexus, and for good reason. Lexus lasts, and with far-fewer problems throughout their life. I would never spend $150k on a vehicle regardless of monetary status/position. I'm just not that guy. I grew up poor and have not forgotten it.
    Because it's a Toyota!

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    2 things,

It is overpriced, however Toyota/Lexus stuff holds its value mainly due to the rabidity of the owner base thinking the cars are special. Likely you will sell the car eventually so holding good resale is a plus.

I have been seeing the continual decline of vehicle quality, which has accelerated (pun intended) since COVID. Not sure I would buy a new car, unless I lived close to the dealer.
    That Lexus GX is not a 4Runner. Lexus is made by Toyota, yes, and both the GX and 4Runner are SUVs. That GX is a GX.

You should do some reading on Lexus vehicles. Read far and wide. Few vehicles are worth owning, and Lexus leads in every beneficial, desirable aspect of owning a vehicle (minus heavy vehicles made for heavy work).

The "sad" fact is Lexus outperforms/outlasts American vehicles in the same or similar class, and almost all other makes across the globe. I didn't make the data. I just read it.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    a quote on line: "The 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo is iconic for its legendary 2JZ-GTE engine. This inline 6-cylinder engine was famous for its immense tuning potential and reliability. The 2JZ-GTE engine produced 276 horsepower and 318 pound-feet of torque in stock form."
    Those Supras were the sexiest cars ever made, at that time! The new ones are interesting, but bizarre-looking...

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    That Lexus GX is not a 4Runner. Lexus is made by Toyota, yes, and both the GX and 4Runner are SUVs. That GX is a GX.

You should do some reading on Lexus vehicles. Read far and wide. Few vehicles are worth owning, and Lexus leads in every beneficial, desirable aspect of owning a vehicle (minus heavy vehicles made for heavy work).

The "sad" fact is Lexus outperforms/outlasts American vehicles in the same or similar class, and almost all other makes across the globe. I didn't make the data. I just read it.

See below for the info that indicates that your beloved GX is in fact built on the same platform as the lowly 4 runner. Feel free to grab a Kleenex, you know, to wipe the tears... Im sure it is all fancied up, with handy electrical features that will last till they break. Still a 4 runner under all of that, not a dedicated platform. Not saying it is crap, but it is not special, it is not a dedicated platform, it is not likely worth the asking price.

As far as me doing reading, I'm sure I could go to the Church of Toyota and kneel at their altar and read the book of imported excellence and drink some of the tasty koolaid. But then I would be just another one of the unwashed masses getting their knowledge from CNN. I know people that love their Toyotas and have had good use out of them, which is great. But I know plenty of people who own other makes and they have the same experience. Very few people have owned a bunch of different brands and even fewer have had a large enough sample size to be able to offer any sort of usable info.

No doubt that Lexus and Toyota in general are popular. So is voting democrat, its crazy popular despite being borderline insane. Not saying all Lexus/Toyota owners are democrats, but just like democrats, many of those Toyota owners like to talk out of their azz. They simply lack the knowledge and experience to correctly compare vehicles. Most people have not inspected, driven and worked on pretty much every mainstream car/truck/suv for the last 32 years. I have.

Since the COVID shutdown I have watch the quality of all of the newly made vehicles drop. Parts quality, fit/finish, assembly accuracy, etc have all gone down.

Toyota may have had a strong rep for reliability and quality, but that is long gone. They are chasing a dollar just like anyone else, to think they would be somehow different is laughable.

The TNGA-F platform underpins body-on-frame vehicles in the mid- and full-size SUV and mid- and full-size pickup truck categories.[31] It supports a wheelbase length of 2,850–4,180 mm (112.2–164.6 in).

Vehicles using platform (calendar years):

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Also, from a buddy who works for Toyota, Japan made Toyotas are better quality than US made Toyotas. Tolerances and QC are MUCH tighter coming from Japan. sad to hear, but not surprising.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    My 1987 Toyota pickup truck was body on frame. So I guess at least 36 years of experience doesn't count. I'm pretty sure every 4 Runner assembled and sold was body on frame too.

Ditto Toyota's turbocharged engine, 1987 in the Supra. Toyota also sold turbocharged 4-cyl. pickups in 1985-86 and a turbocharged MR2 sports car. So that was again 37 + years ago.

Toyota/Lexus build way better vehicles than any American brand. Long term reliability data prove this time and time again. Like JD Power and others. Disclaimer-- I now own and drive a Chevy.
    As far as turbo motors go, Toyota does not have any sort of long term commitment/experience to making turbo motors. Yes they have pivoted recently into the turbo motor market, and will likely have to go through a few generations of designs and tweaks to get then to be reliable. No turbo is going to last 300k miles, especially the way the current turbo designs are employed, with the way they are vectoring the exhaust gas to spool the turbo and all of the other tweaks. The wastegate bushing will wear, the bearings will wear, just having all of the connections will promote leaks, etc. I'm not knocking turbo motors, but they require more effort to make and they are subject to higher stress, thus they will have a shorter life.

The ride quality of all of the older toyotas was crap. I drove soooooo many of those 2000 model 4 runners, and they felt like they had square tires compared to a real truck. This does affect the midsize truck market across the board, all of the little trucks, colorado, dakota, etc were rough. Cant make them handle a load or tow well compared to a full size truck. And the cramped interiors were another issue...

Yet again, JD power ranks trucks based on owner reports. Moist people that spend money on something, especially a bunch of money, want their purchased to be seen as good, so they tell themselves that. Not a great way to get un-biased data. I don't doubt that Toyota makes good vehicles, certainly better than GM, which is the worst. Well maybe Dodge is worse, but GM is always innovating to make a crappier product.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Those Supras were the sexiest cars ever made, at that time! The new ones are interesting, but bizarre-looking...
    Yes, the 4th gen supra was awesome, recently watch a vid on you tube by squidd about the supra finally taking the japan touring car title way from nissan. It was a good watch.

New supra is A BMW, yuk.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Scotty Kilmer says the same thing about manufacturing location. They have more pride in Japan, here autoworkers are union protected & just want paychecks...ginormous make more than virtually 90% of the population paychecks...

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Scotty Kilmer says the same thing about manufacturing location. They have more pride in Japan, here autoworkers are union protected & just want paychecks...ginormous make more than virtually 90% of the population paychecks...
    I totally agree. Toyota mantra was/is to build a better vehicle going forward. They adapt and re-engineer if there is an issue. Ford, GM, and Dodge are the worst. GM was building some pretty sh*tty vehicles in the 1980s and early 90s. They had to improve or Toyota and Nissan was going to bury them. Ford builds good engines imo, but they f**ked me with my 1987 Mustang LX 5.0/5 speed, so I never went back. Car ran like a scalded cat, but the paint was peeling off after 2 or 3 years. Ford had bought millions of $ in defective primer, but they kept using it anyways. Ford management figured they would deal with a case by case paint claims versus losing millions by abandoning the bad primer. Happened to Ford trucks too, paint just peeling off after 2 or 3 years. Hood and roof was the worst. They repainted my Mustang and covered 50% of the cost. I will never buy another new Ford vehicle. Never.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Barnettmickey
    Top Bottom