Ammo TAX coming-from someone in the know

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Well, the most important thing to remember is, even if they passed a ridiculous gun/ammo tax, it most definitely would NOT be enacted right away! I would say the "supercity" employee is pretty much full of crap!

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    EVEN if this is just a rumor, why not have a good 'excuse' to buy more ammo. Historically speaking, it has only risen in price.
    dunno.gif

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    EVEN if this is just a rumor, why not have a good 'excuse' to buy more ammo. Historically speaking, it has only risen in price.
    dunno.gif

+1

Plus, we could only be so lucky to face the apocalypse and the second coming.

You're ready, aren't you?

Why not?

You never know when you're going to meet God, or whatever you believe in...

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    dunno.gif

I agree with the excuse part :)

But historically ammo has gone up and down like any other good. Raw materials have dropped 30-50% over the last quarter alone; raw materials costs were frequently cited as the main reason for the increase in price to begin with.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I agree with the excuse part :)

But historically ammo has gone up and down like any other good. Raw materials have dropped 30-50% over the last quarter alone; raw materials costs were frequently cited as the main reason for the increase in price to begin with.

Heh-heh. I used the excuse thing earlier today, which is why I posted that. LOL!

Well, why the heck can't I find good, cheap ammo?? Unless I buy 1000+ rounds at one time? I USED to have multiple calibers, before that unfortunate boating accident, so I would have to order 1k of each to get the 'discount' price. Now, even though raw materials have dropped 50% or so, prices are still NOT cheap, but the places that I could find decent priced stuff are sold out. :hs: When they start restocking, do you think they will be cheaper, since the raw material costs are cheaper? Bah! They will screw us with a tad bit higher prices. It is kind of like the fluctuating gas prices. OMG!!! Gas is ONLY $2.25 a gallon?!!? Uhhh...how soon we forget, eh?

About the up & down prices. Sales that pop up every once in a while don't count to me. :( Although it seems like I spend all day on the internet, I miss a lot of the "deals" that are to be had...every once in a while. The only true significantly low price of ammo I have seen in a while was on the Academy deal, and unfortunately I do not own that caliber, even though I bought some. ;) Can ALWAYS trade it later on down the road or give it to someone who can use it for a just cause. I don't know if it is because of the war on terror but I am sure that has some effect.

I mean no offense Jade and I know you are just making a statement about the materials/ammo ratio; and I sure hope you are right and I see some cheaper prices in the near future. I am not just starting to buy stuff, but I sure have been shooting a lot more since I joined this forum! Got some catching up to do! :o

If nothing at all, I will have plenty of practice rounds to enjoy at the range in the future! :D

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    No offense taken :)

The problem is, materials costs take a lot of time to translate to the retail market. And the change is a lot slower coming down than going up.

And I would also imagine that a drop in materials could very easily be counterbalanced with a surge in demand, keeping prices artificially high.

In theory though, if we had elected McCain and everyone wasn't freaking out, I do think prices would be soon on their way back down to 2006ish prices. But unfortunately we aren't in this theoretical world. :(

I still don't think ammo prices will increase by any large margin, but it's too early to tell what will happen in the long run.

And it's never a bad idea to buy ammo :)

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    I wish we could get one of our more responsible members to get the licenses to be able to order this ammo straight from distributors.

Like if we could all put up money for an initial purchase/ to pay licensing fees maybe someone could become a vendor for century arms and get their ammo and give BS.com members a Discount.
    Like only charge what it costs? Just an idea:confused:

If thats illegal or something...i didnt know dont kill me. lol

http://www.miwallcorp.com/miva/merchant.mv
    ???

Last edited:

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ammo manufacturers buy their raw materiels in BULK, and I do mean bulk. So until they've sold off the expensive stuff, your'e not gonna see the prices drop. Give it till early next year and you should see prices taper off.
    Now, as far as a tax on ammo, it may or may not happen. BUT, look for the Feds to classify lead as a hazardous controlled substance. The CDC is already telling us that game shot with lead bullets contains high levels of lead. This is how they are gonna get us. We as shooters and hunters need to raise holy hell to our representatives, congresspeople, and senators about this obviously anti-gun campaign by the CDC. The CDC already HATES guns. Theycan't take those away, so they're gonna take out ammo away.
    Mark my friggin' words.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I guess the best thing to do is just be quiet and not pass any information along.

Better to just wait 'till the tanks start down your street, then you'll know for sure.

Yes, I do really hope nothing starts to happen but history and common sense is against that.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I guess the best thing to do is just be quiet and not pass any information along.

Better to just wait 'till the tanks start down your street, then you'll know for sure.

Yes, I do really hope nothing starts to happen but history and common sense is against that.

The problem is your info is just "rumor" nothing more

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La

Well then, tell us who this "employee" is or better yet, tell us what the name of the "super city" place is...

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I wish we could get one of our more responsible members to get the licenses to be able to order this ammo straight from distributors.

Like if we could all put up money for an initial purchase/ to pay licensing fees maybe someone could become a vendor for century arms and get their ammo and give BS.com members a Discount.
    Like only charge what it costs? Just an idea:confused:

If thats illegal or something...i didnt know dont kill me. lol

http://www.miwallcorp.com/miva/merchant.mv
    ???

...Order 20+ cases from century and get a price break...

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Passing information is fine; rumor-mongering is counter-productive.

Is this source involved with legislation/policy-making? Have they seen a draft of the bill? Did the "information" come from a meeting over coffee? Etc., etc.

Sorry, but this sounds like one of those "I heard it from a guy who heard it from his cousin who was in the third stall on the left in the office shitter when the boss came in and said it."

We all have heard about what nefarious plans OBuckwheat and his minions have for us. We are concerned about same. But nothing like that can occur without bureaucratic inertia; and its far too early for that, beyond back-room meetings and grand schemes not put to paper yet.

And I'll wager that anyone privy to that sort of thing isn't sharing it.

Tanks rolling down our street? That's already been done; see Waco. The backlash and repercussions from that mass-murder sent a ripple through the federal LE system that took a decade to subside.

We could well see UN troops in our streets eventually... but not anytime soon. So why spread unsubstantiated rumor? Anyone who has been paying attention KNOWS "they" will try ruinous taxation... but it will most likely be at the federal level.

First of all, in this day and age, just where will the TRUTH be coming from; our Government, the Media? Just where? I am not spreading a rumor. This info. came to me from an employee of the largest retailer. Said it had come down in memo form.

Sometimes, this is going to be the only warning we are going to get, from people we deal with on a daily basis. But you can wait and get your information from the "TRUTH" guys, whoever they may be.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Jimdana
    I appreciate your efforts to inform the people. Your information is met with scorn and ridicule from some. However, in my opinion, it would be wise to plan for something like this. It seems a logical way to accomplish gun control. You can keep your guns (clubs) you just will not have anything to fire in them.

Just imagine when Paul Revere came racing down the street saying, "the British are coming...." the majority here would say I will believe it when I see their red coats. So thanks for passing what information you know and trying to share it.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I'm actually starting to hear rumblings about this tax from other sources. It is a 'rumor' right now, but I am predicting that it will be proven valid within 6mo of Obama taking office.

Top Bottom