An Observation....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I will be applying for my CHP in June, so will be taking a class sometime before then. What kind of shooting requirements are in place now? And what do you mean by real requirements?

I'll tell you what it is and then you tell me if you think that's "real."

Two hours of actual live range fire and proper handgun cleaning
    procedures:
    i. Live range fire shall include 12 rounds each at 6 feet, 10
    feet, and 15 feet for a total of 36 rounds;
    ii. Each applicant or permittee must perform at least one safe
    reload of the handgun at each distance;
    iii. Each applicant or permittee must score 100% hits within the
    silhouette portion of a NRA B-27 type silhouette target with a
    least 36 rounds

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I will be applying for my CHP in June, so will be taking a class sometime before then. What kind of shooting requirements are in place now? And what do you mean by real requirements?

Current shooting requirements:
    Live range fire shall include 12 rounds each at 6 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet for a total of 36 rounds;
    Each applicant or permittee must perform at least one safe reload of the handgun at each distance;
    Each applicant or permittee must score 100% hits within the silhouette portion of a NRA B-27 type silhouette target with a least 36 rounds

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    My class was only about 1.5 hours including range time.

You got screwed. What I mean is, sure you had a short class and got your certificate for the class but you almost certainly missed out on discussions of the various laws and situations you could face carrying or using your CCW.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    My class was only about 1.5 hours including range time.

My class runs about 9.5 hours and I feel that it is not near enough time. What did your instructor cover in 1.5 hours? That is ridiculous. I would not be able to sleep at night sending people off with zero instruction.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Couple of things to consider. All of us are shooters and most have an above average skill set. That said, the CHP program, like most government programs, is built for the lowest common denominator.

I will say this, having done a little over 100 students I would guess, I honestly have not had any that shoot poorly. Granted, you would have to be blind and deaf not to hit a stationary target at 15 feet without speed, noise, or potential death as a stress factor.

Not everyone that gets a CHp will be a gun toting everyday kinda person. We all know most will put the gun in their nightstand and it will only come out in four years for their renewal. THAT IS THE AVERAGE STUDENT. Obviously, most on this board have a more dedicated and realistic expectation of self-defense.

The current CHP program is a compromise between those who wanted no requirements at all, and those who wanted to make them so impossible as to be prohibitive. As with any compromise, you get something that does not work for either side fully.

The only true purpose of the CHP class is to make sure you have a BASIC understanding of firearm safety, legalities concerning defense and firearm law, and that you can safely operate the firearm.

What I tell all my students is that this is your very first step in training. The class is not a shooting class. It is like getting your driver's license. When you go to get your DL, they do not "teach you how to drive" they give you some info, make sure you can drive reasonably well without killing yourself, and then give you a test. that is what the CHP class is.

All students should seek additional instruction, preferably one-on-one to get more familiar with their equipment and the mechanics of their gear.

We have certificate mills who are doing nothing, and then we have guys, normally those with their own ranges, who spend 4 hours on the range in a 9 hour class. They think they are doing their students a favor, but their is no way they are adequately covering the fundamentals, and the legal section if they are spending that much time on the range.

That is why i do not teach the NRA basic pistol. it is a great class, but in my opinion, because of the NRA rules (if the instructor is following them) the instructor is limited. My class covers everything that is required by the state and then some.

Proper course design will expose the student to the important points multiple times in various formats throughout a 9 hour course. I make it very clear in the first 5 minutes of my introduction that this is not a shooting course. We shoot the required 36 rounds and that is pretty much it. They understand that the focus of my class is to meet the state requirements with a focus on the legalities, dealing with LEO, gear selection, and pre/post incident response. There simply is not enough time to get into a detailed shooting diagnosis with 5-10 people in a 9-10 hour class and still do justice to the rest of the material.

I have been getting a lot of first-time shooters. I find them to be receptive. I have not had to yet, but if I feel someone is unsafe or not serious, I will give them their money and politely tell them I cannot train them.

My point in all of this is that there should be more training, but it is probably about right for the average "consumer." It is woefully inadequate for those of us who take it seriously.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Just out of curiosity, how much time do you spend on "Dealing with LEO?"

Kinda hard to say, because everything is interwoven throughout the class, but it probably gets a dedicated 20 minutes or so. Mainly covers traffic stops. It is also mentioned of course in the post shooting actions.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I know you might not want to disclose publicly your course outline, et al but I'd be interested to know how you advise your students to approach the situation given your background. Obviously there are two (maybe three) distinct schools of though on the subject, hence my inquiry.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I know you might not want to disclose publicly your course outline, et al but I'd be interested to know how you advise your students to approach the situation given your background. Obviously there are two (maybe three) distinct schools of though on the subject, hence my inquiry.

You have already been invited, you could come find out for yourself. ;)

What do you consider the available options?

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Someone should report shooters club. My class sucked. I sure hope they are not teaching the same way they were 1.5 years ago when I took mine

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Someone should report shooters club. My class sucked. I sure hope they are not teaching the same way they were 1.5 years ago when I took mine

Same here.. I took a class about 8 years ago at bayou dragon shooting range with a officer named Abadie.It ran for about 8 1/2 hours. It cost 40 bucks and was very informative.. He gave us different situations and explained what to do how and when.... I decided to finally take it again because the certificate was too old to receive a chp so I took it again about 1 1/2 ago at shooters club.. Wow what a difference. Cost 110 bucks. I sat for 6 hours watching the most stupid channel 4 news clips I had ever seen and basically got a book thrown at me and said learn...If the first guy wasn't so good I probably would have thought that's the way its suppose to be....

Top Bottom