Another NOPD facepalm (NOT A LEO BASHFEST!!)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I'm going to Corpus for a wedding. We're flying, my parents are driving. Rather than deal with checking my guns and hoping they make it with a plane change, my dad will transport them for me, locked in a case. Don't know why, but dad mentions this to his neighbor who happens to be rank in NOPD. He freaks out and tells him he's violating all kinds of federal firearms laws by doing so. :rolleyes: Mainly, it's illegal to have any firearm in a vehicle in Texas, JUST LIKE LOUISIANA!!! :eek: I just told him sometimes you can't fix stupid and to not drive like a maniac and endanger my babies! ;) I don't understand why basic firearms laws aren't taught in POST. Or maybe if they are, they're forgotten quickly. (at least in NOLA;)) We got a looong way to go.:hs:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Corpus Christi huh? I hope you brush up on your espanol :D

Tell me about it!:( NO JOY HERE!! Last time I was in Corpus was for a NJROTC drill competition in 86. We stayed in BEQ on the NAS. From what I understand, it has changed very little. However, it is the birthplace of Whataburger! :boink: :boink: They do have what looks like a nice outdoor range though.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Though not to the extent that he suggested, Texas handgun laws are kind of quirky....

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Though not to the extent that he suggested, Texas handgun laws are kind of quirky....

True. just like most states. But tx just cleared up car carry with a law that says if you can legally own a gun, you can have it in your car. cleared up all the legalese.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Tell me about it!:( NO JOY HERE!! Last time I was in Corpus was for a NJROTC drill competition in 86. We stayed in BEQ on the NAS. From what I understand, it has changed very little. However, it is the birthplace of Whataburger! :boink: :boink: They do have what looks like a nice outdoor range though.

Ohhhh I see now. The wedding is just a cover up for your pilgramage to Mecca :D

in the Wally world down there they make the announcements in Spanish first English second.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    True. just like most states. But tx just cleared up car carry with a law that says if you can legally own a gun, you can have it in your car. cleared up all the legalese.

I sure hope so :confused:.....They actually had a law that said you could have a handgun in your vehicle- JUST NOT IN PLAIN SIGHT! :eek3::confused:

That was beyond absurd!

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    Ohhhh I see now. The wedding is just a cover up for your pilgramage to Mecca :D

in the Wally world down there they make the announcements in Spanish first English second.

I was down in Brownsville a few years ago they just made the announcements in Spanish didn't even bother to do the english one!
    :D

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I had a co worker tell me that was also the law in Louisiana.

That, like so many other gun laws which don't actually exist are a result of people who don't really know the laws passing on bad information over and over.
    You will hear that you can't have a loaded gun in your car. Ask enough questions and eventually someone will say "Well I had a game warden tell me that because people were shooting deer along the roadside from their pickups.
    Similar tales come about from the Has To Be In Plain View tales. I've acutally had people tell me that's why you had gun racks mounted in the back window of your pickup, so that the gun is always in plain view. Somewhere someone heard that and took it as law.
    Then there's the it Has To Be Unloaded misinformation. In some states it's ilegal to transport your gun loaded where you can get to it. Others you can do so only if you have a CHP. This is not true here in La but people will say, "Well my cousin said that it's illegal in Michican (or Illinios or where ever) so it must be that way here".
    It is similar to the "Law & Order" laws I often hear repeated like "you need to register your gun" or "You need to be licensed to have a gun". Tell them, " No you don't in La and you need to stop watching so much TV and spreading misinformation".

eman2k5

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Covington, LA
    Rank tends to forget laws after some time, they are in the business of policing us and not the public. They will know policy......

Thats just my .02, other dept/divisions different cup of tea....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom