Any Way to Deter Snakes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have had to deal with this issue myself after buying my house. Pond that backs up to woods means lots of snakes. I used to just kill them all, but now i only kill the venomous ones or ones that i suspect are venomous. I have personally seen a king snake killing/eating a copperhead, so i try to let them go. Ive seen brown snakes, garter, king, eastern ribbon, copperhead, moccasin's and others that i havent been able to identify.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Has anyone besides me noticed a growing population of copperheads? I have lived in this area all of my life and have never seen copperheads this much. My son was almost bitten by one that was around 3ft long. It had its head on top of a ball he was going to pick up. It was huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Has anyone besides me noticed a growing population of copperheads? I have lived in this area all of my life and have never seen copperheads this much. My son was almost bitten by one that was around 3ft long. It had its head on top of a ball he was going to pick up. It was huge.

Yes, three copperheads were killed at my dad's house last week.

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    Actually saw my first copperhead today in a crawfish pond. Killed three cottonmouths in my yard and under my garage so far this year.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Where are you guys located?

I don't mind the King snakes or Garter snakes.

I like to IMAGINE that the venomous ones are not in BTR but I KNOW better.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    South Baton Rouge.

But this was the "pond" when I bought the house. It had been neglected for a few years and was a welcomed invitation for snakes with plenty of food (catfish, minnows, bugs and birds) and water.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Definitely don't kill them! Remind the missus that these guys eat mice, rats, slugs, and cockroaches. They are completely harmless to humans, and MUCH more attractive than the pests they eat:

e_gartersnake.jpg

If push comes to shove, capture and relocate them. Just the other day, I helped someone shoo one of these out of their place. The snake returned, as it probably lived in their garden, so they relocated it, and put out mothballs for good measure. Now they are trying to deal with the mothball smell!

Personally, I'd rather the garter snakes.

I saw a snake just like that in my yard when I first bought this house.... Was doing some gardening and it startled me. Bought the snake repellant and haven't seen any since.

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    I've always loved snakes; had a few as pets.
    I see Speckled Kings, Green Snakes, Garters and
    Blue Runners. Haven't seen any venomous ones here.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Some snakes are good to have. If they're little garter snakes they'll keep the mice away. We find them in our pool all the time. Pesky little dudes but we keep them around.

JayKay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions, even the humorous ones!!

I'm going to try either the moth balls or one of those snake repellants. My goal isn't to hurt or kill them, I just want to encourage them to live somewhere else.

It would be great if I could get my wife over her snake phobia, but I would stand a better chance at winning the next presidential election.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    A family member saw the first water moccasin we've seen in quite some time, yesterday on our property. Guess the hogs are slipping....But I'll bet he doesn't last long. :dogkeke:

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond

View attachment 56432

This one was 50" before I stretched it. Now 53" without the head. 2" short of a state record I was told.
    Middle of the afternoon next to the grandbabies playhouse.

Top Bottom