Anybody know how to Fight a Village of Baskin, LA ticket?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Apparently I fell victim of a scam in the village of Baskin Louisiana. It is a village of 1.3 square miles along highway 425 and 87% of their towns revenue is from traffic tickets. They may or may not have a 50mph zone, there is not a sign I could find, and I am pretty sure I wasn't in Baskin when I was pulled over either. When I was pulled over I was clearly in a 55mph zone, with a sign just before stating that the speed limit was going to change from 65mph from 55mph. He claims I was going 62, and from internet reports it seems that most people get pulled over are claimed to have been going 61 or 62 in a 50mph zone and they never saw it.

I know it is hopeless to fight this at the "village" level, any chance of getting a legitimate fight from the AG or State Police? Any advice would be welcome.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    123   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    Go to the Mayors court and appeal it. That kicks it up to the district level and the DA. Most likely the DA will drop it. I had to do that in Ferriday a few years back.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    So I actually have to go to my court date? I called and "We don't adjust tickets here sir". Talked to the money taker and Mayor, they say pay it or go to court and pay more. They had a fancy car for being a village of 189 people, I though for sure it was a Sheriff until I looked at the ticket. I should have paid better attention before I took the ticket, I am pretty sure I was outside the village of Baskin.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Go to the Mayors court and appeal it. That kicks it up to the district level and the DA. Most likely the DA will drop it. I had to do that in Ferriday a few years back.

Mayors Court in most small Towns/Cities resolve all cases in Mayors Court and you are found Innocent or Guilty on the spot and the case does not go to District Court.
    The cases that need to be heard in District Court are assigned to District Court and do not go to Mayors Court.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    That place has been a speed trap for years. Most of my family live in Baskin. I have no idea what to do as for as getting it taken care of, it would probably be best to just pay it and move on.

wildmanleblanc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Batchelor Louisiana
    I got a Ticket in Baskin 2 years ago, it cost me $125.00, The Baskin I got a ticket in was along Hwy 15, not 425 I was charged with 60 in a 45, My speedometer was showing 50 MPH.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    How fast were you going?

I was transitioning from 65 to 55 because that is what the signs said to do... I am going to check it out when we come home, but I think this is what the signs say in order

55 up ahead

IF there is even a 50mph sign. There are tons of reports online of people getting popped and never saw the sign.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    If the village is sending officers outside the village limits and writing bogus tickets for speeding where no sign exists, it should be easy to beat. Go to mayors court and lose, then appeal it.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Could have been in village limits but final stop was out of the village. In most cases but not all by the time you look at your speed you have already slowed down because its a natural reaction. Also some small towns have parish jurisdiction also. Just some ideas so don't think I'm accusing you of speeding or them of being right.

Motor51

Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    You could challenge the judge's (mayor) ability to be objective and your ability to receive a fair trial. I am guessing if he stopped convicting people of speeding in his town and lost 87 %of the town income his re-election would not go well. A speeding ticket is under "criminal" law in the state of Louisiana and you are entitled to a fair trial. I would love someone to do this, I never had the money to try it myself. If successful it would change how these small towns make their money. Plan on paying the ticket chances are he will just railroad you.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    You could challenge the judge's (mayor) ability to be objective and your ability to receive a fair trial. I am guessing if he stopped convicting people of speeding in his town and lost 87 %of the town income his re-election would not go well. A speeding ticket is under "criminal" law in the state of Louisiana and you are entitled to a fair trial. I would love someone to do this, I never had the money to try it myself. If successful it would change how these small towns make their money. Plan on paying the ticket chances are he will just railroad you.

Judges for Mayor's Court are not elected, they are appointed by the Mayor.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    To be tried in mayors court and the fine money go to the village, I think the ticket has to be written for a city ordinance. Most towns have a city ordinance adopting all the state traffic laws.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    123   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    Mayors Court in most small Towns/Cities resolve all cases in Mayors Court and you are found Innocent or Guilty on the spot and the case does not go to District Court.
    The cases that need to be heard in District Court are assigned to District Court and do not go to Mayors Court.
    You are correct but once he is found guilty he can appeal it. That's when it gets kicked up to the District level. Everyone has a right to appeal even on a misdemeanor traffic summons.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I was transitioning from 65 to 55 because that is what the signs said to do... I am going to check it out when we come home, but I think this is what the signs say in order

55 up ahead

IF there is even a 50mph sign. There are tons of reports online of people getting popped and never saw the sign.

So you were doing 62 in a 55?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    There are some politicians that tried to pass a bill to prevent Baskin from doing this, I am going to lean on them. I have 2 months before I have to pay. I only have access to a computer, but I will get some good old fashioned letters out there when I bring my mother home from the hospital. I have nothing else to do, Little Rock is the city to go to to make you miss Baton Rouge. Might as well research who is against this and if there is a snowballs chance in hell of getting it righted and compose some letters.

I know better than to speed in North Louisiana, Southern Arkansas is just as bad. Not saying I never speed, but I was watching the signs. One town goes all the way down to 25mph. Like I said, I a not sure what speed I was going, I was already transitioning speeds when the lights popped out, the cop didn't cause me to slow down.

Nick1230

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Cecilia,La
    If you think the cop is saying you were going faster than you were all you have to do is ask to see the radar, they have to show it to you.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If you think the cop is saying you were going faster than you were all you have to do is ask to see the radar, they have to show it to you.

Yeah, I wasn't about to make a stink in the middle of no where with guns, my sisters car, and an important place to be. If I would have been stopped under different circumstances, or realized who was giving me a ticket I would have handled things differently, not that I think it would have mattered.

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge

Not exactly true. I was with someone who got a ticket in Port Barre and the cop said he was trained to know if people were speeding and didn't need radar. Seems stupid, but someone brought it all the way to the Supreme Court of some state, and it was upheld! I think it was Ohio

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom