Anyone familiar with fortran?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I remember a little and may be able to help some. No promises. It's been years but I have been a programmer for years and as long as I have a command and function reference I can probably figure out what ya need.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I am a mechanical engineering major at uno and intro to programming, fortran is required. The programs have been pretty easy so far but these last few I dont even know where to start.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Had to take 6 hours of it in college back in mid 70's.............have never used it since!!!!!!!! What a waste of good time!!!!!!!!:wtc::wtc:

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I am a mechanical engineering major at uno and intro to programming, fortran is required. The programs have been pretty easy so far but these last few I dont even know where to start.

...let me guess. The class is taught by some old dude that started the first class by showing you a stack of punch cards.

Last edited:

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre

Check out the web site I listed in post #4. It has examples as well as a bunch of other stuff.

There's also a free FORTRAN compiler available at www.fortran.com .

I was amazed that the language is still alive and evidently in use.

The best way to start someting you don't fully comprehend is a Block flow / function diagram. Start with the major pieces and then expand them. Each will eventually expand into subsets which almost become programmming statements with control statements (IF's) and functional statements (formulas). Have fun.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Flamatrix99, are you taking it at UNO? I just finished up calc2 last spring and am taking calc3 this fall.
    The guy who teaches it is a younger guy (40's) who seems to know his stuff but he just reads from a text and copies the examples character for character.
    I have written around 8 programs so far and had very little trouble, now I cant even get the programs started. I wrote programs to find prime numbers in a user inputted range, print out a histogram based on user entries, find the smallest, average and standard deviation of 3 user inputted numbers. One program we have due on monday is to have the program calculate the odds of winning in texas hold em if you are dealt a king and nine of clubs. Being that I have never played before I have spent more time learning about texas hold em than writing the program.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    fortran? I thought ya'll were supposed to take java as your computer science requirement. Understanding the problem is the hardest part. Sounds like you need to email your instructor and ask him details about poker.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Holy **** I took that back in High School right after programming in Pascal , I was glad when we were using Delphi for a change eventhough I totally sucked at programming and Chemistry.

Top Bottom