Anyone familiar with fortran?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Our options are fortran and c, my advisor told me that mechanical/civil take fortran. i wish o would have taken c now.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    I would have advised C, would have helped you more if you end up using Matlab. I have to say though, I have a couple friends that went to work for major defense contractors, and at least one of them was doing fortran programming for them... so people still do use it!

Aaron

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I took FORTRAN on a lark as an elective at Loyola in about 1979. The class moved so slow, I asked the teacher if I could work ahead on my own. I finished the enire semester in about a month and a half. The teacher tried to get me to change my major, but I really only took it for fun. Of course that WAS back when the program had to be typed one line at a time on punch cards, then turned in to the computer center and then you waited a day for them to run it before you could debug.

I taught myself some other programming languages along the way, but I haven't needed to use it in the last 15 years.

The biggest hurdle is the flowcharting. Once you get the logic laid out, the translation is rather straightforward, as I recall.

texanx5

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    north East Baton Rouge
    I'd thought C as well. I took Fortran, APL, Basic had several times that I used Basic since college but not used the others since college so probably wouldn't be much help but could try.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    This may help!!
    oldpc-6.jpg

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    What ******* makes poor sods learn FORTRAN? That is completely inexcusable. Here's my bitch: Learning software (or engineering) in today's market is horrendously complex, and any ******* who makes anyone waste a precious semester on FORTRAN is like Tony Lopez, the COSC dept head at Loyola in 1981 who made us learn how to write sorts - in COBOL!

Teachers who do crap like that are incompetent, and are trying to hide it.

Back in '86 I dropped out to pursue the real world of software, and I never looked back. I despise ticket-punching turds like that who waste your life in order to conceal their own ignorance.

/rant off.

By the way, C is entirely too complex. VB is just as fast for 90% of applications, and it's a hell of a lot easier to use. The overwhelming majority of latency n software is in database access, so compiled language speed is generally irrelevant.

herohog, you are OK in my book.

Last edited:

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    Herohog is more than ok. He has been busting his ass helping me out and hasn't called me a dumbass once!

Lol at lsufan, we had a computer just like that 23 years ago or so. Me and my cousin used to fart around on it and think we could hack into the government. (We were 7 years old)

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    The reason I am helping in (ugh) Fortran is because, once you reach a certain level, a programming language is a programming language is a programming language with the real differences being Syntax. Of course you can't compare OOP/WYSIWYG with Top-down languages like Fortran/Cobol etc.. But they ALL still have their similarities logic-wise (more or less).

Goodnight guys, I'm done for a bit then I gotta meet some darn fool in Natchitoches to give him a 10/22 at 1:00pm!

PS: My specialty was with Progress 4GL and WebSpeed interfacing business systems with the Internet and building GUI user applications and I also made a TON of functions and procedures so our code could be as portable as possible.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom