Anyone Had Lasik?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    It's time for me to make decide how much to contribute to my FSA at work and I'm wondering if I should put away enough to get my eyesight fixed. Has anyone had Lasik vision correction for nearsightedness? Satisfied with the results?

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My roommate had it done about 8 months ago, he said the whole process took about 10 minutes, his eyes were blurry for an hour, he took a three hour nap, woke up, everything was clear. I plan to have it done sometime in January.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Sounding good. My Ophthalmologist said I'm a good candidate because I have simple nearsightedness and my vision hasn't changed much over the years.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I had it about 9 years ago, I still wear glasses sometimes, as I'm 20/30 in my right eye, 20/20 using both. My prescription was -8.5 so I'm happy.

There's 2 different procedures Lasik and PRK, I had PRK.
    I hear Lasik isn't very painful, and you'll be up and running after a couple days, but I can attest that PRK hurts like hell so if you have to have PRK plan to take a week or two off work.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sounding good. My Ophthalmologist said I'm a good candidate because I have simple nearsightedness and my vision hasn't changed much over the years.

Same for me, and I was told I was the ideal age group for it too. I was also told that with the technology they use now, it is so simple and the risk is miniscule compared to what it used to be. I am a wuss when it comes to shots and stuff, so I know I will be wanting to pee my pants when it comes time, but I figure 10 minutes worth real uncomfort and a couple days worth of mild soreness, is definitely worth the several years of no contacts or glasses. I have had some eye infections that I can guarantee would make the uncomfort of this "surgery" seem like nothing.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    My girlfriend had it done about 3 years ago and has had issues since. She cannot wear contacts due to the surgery, and has problems with dry eyes. She is at the eye doctor every couple of months for one thing or another, all since the lasik. That being said, I know of at least 10 other people that have had it done with no issues.

Even though it only takes 10 minutes, it is a surgery, and there are risks to every surgery. Make sure you research who is doing the surgery, and get references.

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    If you do it dont go to one of these fly by nights guys than you show up and they do lasik. Go to a Dr that will check your eyes several times before and after to make sure they are done correctly. Once you do it, you cant have it redone. Dr Steven Meyer in covington is one of the best from the research that I have done for a family member last year

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm having iLasik on Monday afternoon actually. I'm on my second visit pre-op. Today was taking a wavescan/map of my eye. Five perfect scans of each eye. May take upwards of fifteen scans to get five good ones. The iLasik is supposed to prevent halos, starbursts and night blindness associated with corrective procedures. I'm having mine done in Alexandria at the Redmond Alexandria Eye and Laser Center. According to them, he is one of the oldest (in terms of experience, not age) docs who have been performing the surgery and my doc in the clinic, Reish, was chief resident at Oschner Hospital.

The day of blurriness is due to surgical swelling. We shall see.

Last edited:

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    What should someone expect to pay for ilasik? I'm near sighted..my perscription has been 1.0 and 1.25 for 10 years.. always been a dream not to have to wear glasses..

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I have reasearched for myself and I am going to have it done. It is something that I would not go cheap on, spend what it takes so you won't regret it. Avoid these little places that are always having special promos.

BIGGREEN

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I had it done in '07. I was 40 plus a month. My Dr did not usually do this for someone over 40 but with a few extra tests he agreed to perform the procedure. Be careful though, a lot of these "Doctors" are just looking to make a buck. My Dr actually turns away more people (percentage-wise) than any others. They usually go to these other "Doctors" and have it done and these are the ones you hear about with problems. I wore glasses since 18 yo and never wore contacts which makes the whole procedure and results better. My script also never changed in that time which was a good thing. The ONLY problem I have is occasional dryness which is EASILY fixed with an eye lubricant called Relief Plus. I usally let it warm up on the dashboard or even Nuke it to make it more comfortable to put in (the "sting" you feel when putting in drops is the sudden chill to the warm surface of the eye). I fish A LOT and I enjoy purchasing "regular" sunglasses and I Duck hunt EVERYDAY of the season and I don't have to worry about early morning dew on my glasses. The procedure I had was a "Mini-Mono" one, making one eye near-sighted and the other far-sighted and my brain compensates the differences and averages out 20/20. The "Halo Effect" gradually went away but I still have to pause to adjust when going from bright outside to dimmer inside and visa-versa. I saw Dr Lahaye in Lafayette. He actually worked on the development of the instruments used in procedures worldwide. He is THE PREMIERE Eye Surgeon in the South. His office offers an after-hours short seminar that is free to attend and actually gives you a discount on the procedure. His procedure consists of extensive mapping and 24 hour "closed" healing (your eyes are taped shut and bandaged) so you won't see the results until the next day, unlike the "CHEAPIES" out there that let you walk out of their offices. Follow-up visits (Scheduled) are INCLUDED for 2 years, the "CHEAPIES" charge you for them as well as any other necessary care. You can only have this procedure done ONCE so you might want to research it EXTENSIVELY such as I did. BTW, contacts are out of the picture for future correction. This is one of the first things they will advise you of. Your eyes will age normally so the older you are the shorter time of "Freedom" from frames. DAMNIT, there I go running on...again. Any questions, PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom