AR-15 A-Frame sight/ gas block removal?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rie2183

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    NOLA
    I have a Spikes Tactical AR with a mid-length gas system. I'm trying to remove the a-frame sight so that I can install a free float rail system but I can't get the two pins out. I did some google searching and realized that they are flared. I also read that they may be pressed in making them almost impossible to remove. I can't believe that it's this hard to take the sight off. Can anyone give me a hint or trick to get them out? I'm just afraid to damage the sight or barrel. Thanks!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    They are tapered, one side will be bigger. Obviously you'll want to hit the other side. Saturate them with PB Blaster, Kroil or even just oil if you don't have anything else. And the most important part...put the assembly on a block of wood on the floor, preferably a concrete floor. You need all the force going into the pins and not a wobbly workbench or kitchen table. If possible have someone hold it still while you focus on getting good whacks on it. With a typical hammer or small maul you should be able to break them lose in 2-3 hits. Don't be skerred to put some muscle into it.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Not sure if they are flared. I thought that they were tapered, and that they had to be driven out in the proper direction. Use a punch on a solid support (with a hole for the pin to be driven through). Tap from left to right, with left being the side of the rifle without the ejection port. Whenever I attempt to drive out a pin like these, I also liberally use penetrating oil and let it soak a while.

Rie2183

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    NOLA
    Thanks guys. I'll have to stop by the Hone Depot tomorrow and pick some up. Then I'll give it another shot. Thanks again!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Begin with a starter punch if you're still having trouble; you can lose a ton of force by warping/flexing a standard pin punch. Once the taper pins break free at all, they typically ease right out.

This is a good tip also. I actually use a large (3/32") nail set to break them loose, the concave head makes it much easier to stay on the pin.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    I have broke my fair share of punches trying to get these out. you may have to use a caliper to figure which way the taper is( i use one to verify but it should be visible to the eye). i have had straight pins but never one that wa opposite of the other pin. good luck.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    This is a good tip also. I actually use a large (3/32") nail set to break them loose, the concave head makes it much easier to stay on the pin.

Ahh, clever.

One note on the starter punch method-- be CERTAIN you're moving the taper pins in the right direction. You WILL pancake-stake that sucker in there some otherwise-- especially when the heavier hammers come out...

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    This gadget would help greatly, but it's $40 at Brownell's. Not sure if you can find one cheaper.

p_080000252_1.jpg

Top Bottom