AR 15 for investment

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Thinking of buying one and holding for investment purposes - Colt.

If never fired, what would be potential value in 10+ years.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Not much more.

If you want to buy investment guns...buy AKs.

I agree completely with this statement. I must admit I'm not much of an AK guy but in all that I have seen in the past few years the going trend is to phase out all of the AK type weapons in the US. In one of the many books of rules and regs of the BATFE that I have received lately. The regs show the trend.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Or if you have a place to store it, I would try to snatch up some bulk ammo. If you can buy a large enough quantity you will already be ahead, and rounds are getting more expensive every day.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    Any tangible "hobby" investment is a dodgy prospect.

If I were to "invest" in one/some AR(s), then a solid bet seems to be a clean "preban" Colt, as all things being equal, they have a built-in market with certain states that implement unconstitutional regulations.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I would look for something else to invest in.

I invested in knowledge and experience in creating bullets, holsters and belts. Return is much better than holding onto a gun for 10 years and hoping it is worth more, probably worth the same or less, even if it is worth more dollars, the dollars will probably be worth less. Now if you had a time machine, early 80's would have been the time to invest in guns $10 tubes with registered serial numbers from back then are worth $5250, completed registered lowers, $10-$12k. DLO releases a few sterling tubes a year and is retired in Florida. No telling how many the owner is sitting on.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Wish you would have told me something about 5 years ago...

Myself and others were screaming to the walls.

I bought more than I could afford and stopped at $140/per.

As for AR's... It's likely given this pre election status that it would be worth LESS (accounting for inflation)

As a general rule: if you have to ask: don't!

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I also bought kits. Lots of them that I couldn't afford but I'm glad I did. I've made boat loads of money off them. My top was 110.00 ea. I'm a happy camper

22lr

The Lost Hoosier
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Bossier City
    ARs are to popular to see an increase in value. Your only real investment grade guns are the old Colts and Older guns that have collecter value. But if you drop 3k on your dream tactical AR you just wont get your money back, its that simple.

You can bet that a ban will be enacted and buy a lot of recievers or something. But be prepared to barely break even by the time you figure in inflation in 10 years. The best guns to buy for the purposes of investment are the vintage Colt wheel guns, WWII or before 1911s and of course any good original condition US military surplus rifle from WWI or after. Rule of thumb is that if they are still making the exact same model of rifle, then its value will most likly remain steady but its not going to increase much. Remember that since the last O election we have seen the AR market explode with nuclear force. Volume is a bad thing if were talking about something gaining value. But even by buying the high grade collecters guns you will be lucky to make enough to cover inflation and all that good jazz. I look at guns as a savings account. It is a highly liquid asset that you can turn into cash fast. Buy when you can, sell when you have to. Ive gotten my grubby paws on some amazing works of art, and I enjoy them until I need to pay unexpected bills or something. Invest in something like Gold or Silver, and be careful with investing into guns, you can get hurt bad if you buy a fake or you think its worth more than it actually is.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    If you could find a nice original 3 or low 4 digit serial # SP1, you might see a slight increase. I know the one I picked up a few years back is worth a bit more than the $850 I paid for it.

The trick is to find one that's unmessed with

dsc00170zb2.jpg

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    ARs are to popular to see an increase in value. Your only real investment grade guns are the old Colts and Older guns that have collecter value. But if you drop 3k on your dream tactical AR you just wont get your money back, its that simple.

You can bet that a ban will be enacted and buy a lot of recievers or something. But be prepared to barely break even by the time you figure in inflation in 10 years. The best guns to buy for the purposes of investment are the vintage Colt wheel guns, WWII or before 1911s and of course any good original condition US military surplus rifle from WWI or after. Rule of thumb is that if they are still making the exact same model of rifle, then its value will most likly remain steady but its not going to increase much. Remember that since the last O election we have seen the AR market explode with nuclear force. Volume is a bad thing if were talking about something gaining value. But even by buying the high grade collecters guns you will be lucky to make enough to cover inflation and all that good jazz. I look at guns as a savings account. It is a highly liquid asset that you can turn into cash fast. Buy when you can, sell when you have to. Ive gotten my grubby paws on some amazing works of art, and I enjoy them until I need to pay unexpected bills or something. Invest in something like Gold or Silver, and be careful with investing into guns, you can get hurt bad if you buy a fake or you think its worth more than it actually is.

No

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Any kind in particular? Arsenals? Cheapo WASRs? Kits?

If your going to spend the coin on Arsenals you may as well buy custom.

I've dropped over $13,000 on kits in the last couple months, guess that tells you where I placed my bet.
    (It's also not dealing.... but watch out you get into the habit of building them! )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom