AR vs .223 Saiga

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • #1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Negitive... Total exageration... I've stood there and watched Bam and I hit strings of 5-10 in a row, followed by 5 misses in a row. It most certainly not "any time" we actually aim....

ETA: Not saying it isn't accurate enough, but at 250 yds (BTW where did you guys get 300 from? Everytime I've paced it off it was 250 yds...) hitting that plate with irons was not guaranteed...
    So after the 15 hits then the 5 missed was it the rifles fault or the shooter plus thats from the shoulder not the bench.If you sandbag the gun and aim it it will hit the plate every time.I would wager on it.

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So after the 15 hits then the 5 missed was it the rifles fault or the shooter plus thats from the shoulder not the bench.
    Given who was doing the shooting (you and I), I'd say it was the shooters fault.:exnbp:
    If you sandbag the gun and aim it it will hit the plate every time.I would wager on it.
    The majority of the time, if sandbagged sure. Depends on the AK. Some are more accurate than others. If its a 2.5moa Yugo, at 300yds it will have up to 7.5" groups without even taking the shooter into account, but that is still a good margin of error for a shooter on a 14"x14". However, if its a 4moa WASR its gonna have up to 12" groups without taking the shooter into account, and if the shooter deviates by even 1moa at 300yds that will translate to adding 3" to the group, potentially putting it off the plate. And all of this is without factoring in the 12-15" of drop a 7.62x39 will have at 300yds.
    My point being, it depends on the AK. A good AK probably can do it everytime, but I bet you can find some WASRs or poor kit builds that even when sandbagged are still gonna have some misses at 300yds...

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    :eek3:Now that sums it up.
    Notice I said POOR kit builds, not ALL kit builds. That in no way was a slight on your building skill. You've built dozens and dozens. Do you honestly think your first builds were as well put together as your later builds?

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Here are some interesting figures that I gleaned from the registrations for the Bayou State Regional: Of the 60 shooters for the Regional match, 53 are shooting service rifles and 7 are shooting match rifles. Of the service rifle shooters, 52 of the 53 are shooting NM AR-15s and one is shooting an M1A. Of the match rifle shooters, 5 of the 7 are shooting AR-15 based "space guns" and 2 are shooting custom bolt actions. 95% of the total are shooting ARs or AR based rifles. I think this speaks to the dominance of the AR-15 in NRA Highpower. It also speaks volumes about the rifle's design with respect to accuracy.

Dan

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Should have brought the M1 Sunday but I thought you weren't going to make that match. Next time I'll bring the M1 and sometime in the near future if there's time and he's willing I'll let Mr Z shoot the AK and provide feedback on the results of a typical Slaker AK (one that I put together at BamBam's).

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    That will be a hoot. Bring it next time we have a vintage match. We can give it a whirl. Maybe I'll bring my FAL too.

Dan

Top Bottom