AR15 adivse

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    permanent carry handle? i thought they were all interchangable??

No sir.

It cannot be interchangeable unless it can actually be taken off the firearm.

Model #'s determine all sorts of changes to the platform.

Here's an Example of what I'm talking about.

In short when someone says A2 model, it generally means it has a FIXED carrying handle, Plastic Hand guards and is generally cheaper in $COST$.

From top to bottom: *NOTICE the bottom two rifles Carry Handle(Both are removable)*
    M16A1,
    M16A2,
    M4A1,
    M16A4

M16a1m16a2m4m16a45wi.jpg

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    ok, does the s&w m&p15 sport have an interchangeable handle?... how can i tell when a rifle does/doesn't?

Here is a S&W MP 15 Sport

811036_01_md.jpg

You tell me what it has ;)

You should be able to tell if one does or doesn't. The question is whether or not it's on a Rail system and is removable or not.

This rifle has a PERMANENT Carrying Handle;

ARMS-2inst.jpg

This rifle has a REMOVABLE Carrying Handle;

MARDCH.jpg

After removed;

634039934840495000hiepeq2p.jpg

NEW_GUNS_001.25494221_std.jpg

AR15_1.JPG

RRA_06cara24.gif

Starting to get the picture?... pun intended ;)

/

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The problem I have with the list is that its now completely outdated and used as too important a metric by both the initiated and unitiated buyers.

I found out, trying to look at it after it was mentioned in this thread, that it's actually been pulled down for updates-- since the beginning of March, IIRC. Instead, you are linked to the explanation of the criteria and offered the old saying of "teach a man to fish...".

In essence, the list's "owner" agrees with you 100%. If you blindly follow the list without understanding the first damn thing about the items, their function and what it means to have "the top of the line", you probably shouldn't be reading the document in the first place. As you've noted, advances in technology or new approaches to achieving the same goal might mean the best AR on the planet could fall to the bottom of the list. The park and barrel coating/plating example is a perfect one.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Ok, any feedback on these rifles that academy has (i think at pretty good prices):
    S&w m&p15 sport- $600
    bushmaster carbon 15- $700
    bushmaster m4a1 -$800

i'm thinking going with the s&w... Any feedback would be appreciated!

If you have any inkling of putting this rifle through "hard use", skip the Carbon-15. I've got a polymer lower (Plum Crazy) on my beater rifle-- if it takes a crap, it's no skin off of my teeth. While several internal problems were corrected from the PO design when Bushmaster took it over... it's still not worth the cash.

For the price, I'd go with the M&P. While I haven't handled very many, and shot fewer still, it seems as if they are some of the better constructed rifles in that grade/range. At a glance, it doesn't seem that the Sport is short any of the features that would be a "no go" for me. Honestly, the forward assist is a redundant addition to the original design, at best. And saving $200 over your next option makes it a no brainer.

I would be remiss if I didn't say it again. If you're comfortable spending $850 (after tax) on a Bushy, this should be your rifle:

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-midlength-le-carbine-p-443.html

The website claims a 6-8 week lead time, but I'm sure with some searching and/or the help of a good (REAL) FFL, you could find one quicker. Even adding FFL transfer fees and shipping costs, it'd end up to be roughly the same price. At the very least, the Spikes spider logo is cooler than the Bushy snake. :rofl:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Set a man on fire and he'll burn for the rest of his life.

It's a good point that most people don't understand exactly why some of the things are important. I guess I just look at things a different way. I don't agree with the owner of that chart on a lot of things. However he is knowledgeable. I also don't agree with his methodology. I believe he is becoming less independent and more ad driven. See his review on the next generation arms x7. That thing is a terribly overpriced boutique rifle. Sure, it's nice, but when I asked the charts owner what was better he responded "I think it's evident" he didn't use to be like that. Nothing against him at all.

Learn about the rifle, what features are important, and a chart isn't required. There is a ton of misinformation on the net.

This could be one of those mis-informed posts.

And so could that

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Buy the best rifle you can afford. Shoot it a lot if it breaks figure out what broke and how. If it doesn't do something you need it to figure out how it could. After you have some more knowledge based on first hand expirence you will be able to buy your next rifle.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    For 1k, you can get a good quality ar-15.

If you ever think you might want to sell, buy a complete gun, don't build it... resell tends to be a little higher, and it's easier to sell.

That said, building one is fun, and if you shop around, you can get really quality components for cheap... checking boards, etc...but it takes time.

Personally, I'm with Sin-ster and MrLefty on the "chart"... bottom line is that the chart is correct, and it really does point out a lot of differences between different brands... that said, some of those things might not matter to you... in the end it's your rifle.

I've really gotten into the "you get what you pay for" mentality... and it generally holds true...because of that, I'm sticking with Colt, DD, LMT, BCM, Noveske, etc.. only because I'm willing to pay the small amount extra (it's really not all that much difference). So call me a chart follower, elitist, or whatever.

Jim's firearms has a used DD with a Free Float quad rail for like 900 ish last weekend.

Eagle armory has a complete LMT lower with a 6pos stock for 329.99, and a complete upper for 701 (M-16 BCG, 1:7 twist, tactical charging handle, chromed lined, m4 feedramps)

So that would be 1030 + shipping/FFL

Aaron

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom