AR15 adivse

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I like Bushmaster!

Bushmaster-logo.jpg

Not only do they make Quality AR's I like their Company too! They have no issue with saying WHO they make their Rifles for to include Civilians for Home Defense.

Most companies try and hid behind Military/Law Enforcement.

Bushmaster is open about it.

Bushmaster firearms are used by hundreds of police departments and law enforcement organizations nationwide, by the military of more than 50 countries worldwide, in private security and safety applications, and by consumers for hunting, recreation, competition, and home defense and security. We are headquartered in Windham, Maine, along with our manufacturing facility in Windham, Maine.

Here's a picture of one I lost year in a horrible boating accident;

Sights Up;
    dscf3407.jpg

Sights Down;
    dscf3406.jpg

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    I think you can do much better than a Bushmaster or Rock River AR for a similar price. Both of those leave a lot to be desired, especially when you can get better quality at the same price point (or better, depending on where you're shopping).

I would start with something basic for your first AR (no vertical grips, etc), until you get a feel for what you need and don't need.

You didn't mention what you plan to do with your AR, but I would recommend BCM or Daniel Defense (at least for the upper, if not the lower as well). You can peek around at http://www.m4carbine.net and even check out "The Chart" to give you an idea what people take into consideration when evaluating and purchasing ARs.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Not "the chart"....

And jgreco, it wont be hard for you to keep your secrets to yourself considering I am now deaf thanks to your 11" concussion generator

Last edited:

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    well, thats what i'm gonna do, i'll start researching and taking my time with this rifle. i really appreciate all the feedback! :hi5:

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    says one man's opinion ;)

My opinion, yes, but I'm not the only one who shares it. ;)

Just for the sake of debate, what do you gain from a Bushmaster over a BCM or Daniel Defense at the same price? As I said, some of this depends upon the OPs intentions for the carbine, but if this is one of those "home defense/SHTF" carbines, I'd stay away from RRA and Bushmaster. I'm not trying to seem elitest here, nor am I crapping on anyone's choice or preference; again, this is only my opinion and preference.

I prefer the 1/7 twist rate to the 1/9 you find on most Bushys, but it's honestly not that big of a deal. Also, I prefer properly staked gas keys (again, not found on most Bushys or RRAs), but again, that can be remedied easily as well. Those are only 2 of a few things that separate Bushy and RRA from the likes of BCM, LMT, DD, etc.

It just depends on what you're looking for out of the box, what you want it to do, and what you're willing to do to it (or do without). I just can't see why you'd pick one that has less than desirable features/quality (some would say inferior) for the same price as a "better" carbine.

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    well, all i'm really going to be using it for is target shooting and home defense.. even though, i would grap my g23 if someone broke into my house and that would be after my 3 dogs got to them..lol

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    "The list" generates a lot of reactions-- most of them blown way out of proportion. Some folks turn elitist over even the smallest detail. Others make fun of those elitists, and erroneously lump everyone who references the list into that group. Still others find their "baby" lower on the list than expected, and get sore over it.

The fact of the matter is that the details on "the list" are very real. 95% of the people who will ever read it won't benefit from parkerizing under the FSB, or even MP and ping tested bolts or properly staked carrier keys. Indeed, some of the criteria border on nitpicky-- even rifles that saw super hard use may not notice negative results for not meeting certain criteria.

My humble opinion seems to be shared by MrLefty. If you're fortunate enough to have rifles that meet all of the standards for the same price as rifles that don't... Why not go for all the fixings? Unless there's an issue with configuration (carbine vs middie, A2 vs A4, etc.), some possible customer service concerns or a justifiable grudge against a certain company... it doesn't make much sense to me, either.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    what would be the pros & cons about going with a shorter barrel vs a longer barrel. Distance?

The simple answer is... yes.

Keep in mind that without going the SBR route, you can't end up with a rifle shorter than 16". Even the 14.5" sold as a complete rifle will have a permanently pinned flash hider to meet this criteria-- and are in essence a complete waste of your time. (If your'e going to be 16" anyway, why not got 16.5" with flash hider and reap the rewards of the longer barrel?)

The longer barrel, all things being equal, will result in greater velocity-- and all of the goodies that it entails. (Which, when you're talking about .223 bullets, can mean lethality in many cases.) Again, all things being equal, it will equate to better accuracy as well due to improved stabilization. Combined, these basically amount to "more distance".

For your purposes, 16" will be more than sufficient. The beauty of the AR platform is that you can easily purchase and swap out a new upper with whatever barrel length you wish! (Or just swap the barrel itself!)

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    Ok, any feedback on these rifles that academy has (i think at pretty good prices):
    S&w m&p15 sport- $600
    bushmaster carbon 15- $700
    bushmaster m4a1 -$800

i'm thinking going with the s&w... Any feedback would be appreciated!

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    More ar advise

Ok, any feedback on these rifles that academy has (i think at pretty good prices):
    S&w m&p15 sport- $600
    bushmaster carbon 15- $700
    bushmaster m4a1 -$800

i'm thinking going with the s&w... Any feedback would be appreciated!

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    "The list" generates a lot of reactions-- most of them blown way out of proportion. Some folks turn elitist over even the smallest detail. Others make fun of those elitists, and erroneously lump everyone who references the list into that group. Still others find their "baby" lower on the list than expected, and get sore over it.

The fact of the matter is that the details on "the list" are very real. 95% of the people who will ever read it won't benefit from parkerizing under the FSB, or even MP and ping tested bolts or properly staked carrier keys. Indeed, some of the criteria border on nitpicky-- even rifles that saw super hard use may not notice negative results for not meeting certain criteria.

My humble opinion seems to be shared by MrLefty. If you're fortunate enough to have rifles that meet all of the standards for the same price as rifles that don't... Why not go for all the fixings? Unless there's an issue with configuration (carbine vs middie, A2 vs A4, etc.), some possible customer service concerns or a justifiable grudge against a certain company... it doesn't make much sense to me, either.

About the best explanation I have heard. The problem I have with the list is that its now completely outdated and used as too important a metric by both the initiated and unitiated buyers. Do high end barrel makers still parkerize? Chrome lined bores?.... I think the 70s called, they want their barrel lining back (Cant take credit for that joke, but it still cracks me up today). More and more people are getting away from FSB's and are moving torward longer rails with fixed or folding BUIS.

Regardless of your opinion on Rob_s, he did help the internet along with his aggregation of data. I would use it as a reference, and not a buying decision maker.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I would say M&P, the dust cover wont be that big of a deal. Even if you replaced the upper for $100, you would still be ahead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom