AR15 carbine buffer weights

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smb5769

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Can anyone tell me what the buffer weight does exactly? What about bumping up to heavier weights, like H, H2 or H3? What effect would that have? I have a Rock River upper, Stag Lower. It has 16" barrel, carbine length gas tube, M16 carrier and standard buffer weight. It started out its life ejecting at 5 o'clock, but now ejects to 2 or 3 o'clock position and I haven't changed anything. I only have about 300 rounds through it, and I keep it clean and oily in the bolt. I just wonder why the ejection pattern changed? I have tried different ammo manufacturers to see if there was a change, so far there isn't. Would a heavier buffer help on the bolt life and other internals, and shift the ejection pattern back? Would it still cycle with crap ammo? Thanks for any help y'all can give!

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Chamber clean and dry? Really shouldn't be all that dirty after 300 rounds, but light oil in the chamber could increase pressure.

The general rule with black rifles is to work your way back from the gas port to solve problems.

I added an H3 to my over gassed carbine and it helped. Went from 1 o'clock to 2:30-3:00 o'clock. But mine started out over gassed where as yours started out just right.

Adding buffer weight can assist with dwell time/carrier speed. Slowing the bolt enough to give it time to efficiently extract and eject brass.

I'm no expert. Hope others will chime in and assist.

smb5769

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Are Rock River barrels known for being over gassed? Its a heavy profile 16 non chrome(I think) with a regular front sight.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    My 24 inch upper throws brass (hand loads) from 1-3 O'clock depending on bullet weights and powder charge while my M4 throws brass very consistently 3:30. What does this mean? How do you know your over gassing?

Bam Bam

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    Can anyone tell me what the buffer weight does exactly? What about bumping up to heavier weights, like H, H2 or H3? What effect would that have? I have a Rock River upper, Stag Lower. It has 16" barrel, carbine length gas tube, M16 carrier and standard buffer weight. It started out its life ejecting at 5 o'clock, but now ejects to 2 or 3 o'clock position and I haven't changed anything. I only have about 300 rounds through it, and I keep it clean and oily in the bolt. I just wonder why the ejection pattern changed? I have tried different ammo manufacturers to see if there was a change, so far there isn't. Would a heavier buffer help on the bolt life and other internals, and shift the ejection pattern back? Would it still cycle with crap ammo? Thanks for any help y'all can give!

I replaced my carbine buffer with a Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer. The heavier buffer is designed to slow the cycling action of the BCG. While I haven't noticed any change in the ejection angle of spent brass, I have noticed that my shot groups have tightened-up just a bit, with the buffer being the only internal part I've replaced and using the same ammo as I was using before. It may be nothing more than coincidence, but I doubt it...

bbzioch60ieb0hqgmwjp.jpg

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ST-T2-Heavy-Buffer-by-Spikes-Tactical-p/st-t2.htm

Ferrara Fire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    If you don't want to spend $40 on just a buffer, I have a 4 oz buffer tube kit for $39. Buffer, spring, tube, end plate and castle nut (currently short on castle nuts, more in the mail) I am sure I can work out a price for just the buffer.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom