Ascension Parish Firearms Laws - APSO Please Chime In

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Where is this^ for? Doucheville! :doh:

Funny how people interpret a half of a mile as barely any distance at all. I don't think there is any land left in Ascension that is not 900 yards from a house or road. What a bunch of tools!

No that's for EBR. I have 55 acres and I can't legally shoot a rifle or pistol on my place and if you look on Google Earth I don't think you can find a place that is over a half mile from a road or house in EBR.

Mr Manouche

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    ascension parish
    I live in Ascension, many folks in my area shoot on their properties. I live just outside city limits but down the road are some shooters that are on the actual borderline, and they are across the street from a subdivision that is in the city limits. It can sound like a war zone when they get new toys. Never heard of anybody calling PD about it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I live in Ascension, many folks in my area shoot on their properties. I live just outside city limits but down the road are some shooters that are on the actual borderline, and they are across the street from a subdivision that is in the city limits. It can sound like a war zone when they get new toys. Never heard of anybody calling PD about it.

They way it should be unless they are being retarded with the guns.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Sec. 14-43. - Noise in residential districts.

(a)

General restriction. It shall be unlawful for any person to use, operate or permit to be used or operated any device, radio, musical instrument, television, phonograph, drum, sound-amplifying equipment or device which produces or reproduces sound either stationary or mobile, in such a manner so as to create any sounds or noise which exceeds seventy-five (75) db(A) during the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. or which exceeds seventy (70) db(A) from 9:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. at any property line within a residential district or upon any public street or right-of-way within or bordering upon any residential district within the unincorporated limits of the parish.

(b)

Loud or raucous sounds or noises. It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully make, cause or continue any noise which disturbs the peace or quiet of any residential district and which exceeds seventy-five (75) db(A) during the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. or which exceeds seventy (70) db(A) from 9:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. at any property line within a residential district or upon any public street or right-of-way within, or bordering upon, any residential district within the unincorporated limits of the parish.

(c)

Responsibility for creation of noise. Any person creating any such sound or noise as described in this section and/or anyone permitting such a sound or noise to be created in, or emanate from, any premises under his care, custody or control shall be presumed responsible for any such sound or noise.

(Ord. of 6-7-2012)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Sec. 14-43. - Noise in residential districts.

(a)

General restriction. It shall be unlawful for any person to use, operate or permit to be used or operated any device, radio, musical instrument, television, phonograph, drum, sound-amplifying equipment or device which produces or reproduces sound either stationary or mobile, in such a manner so as to create any sounds or noise which exceeds seventy-five (75) db(A) during the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. or which exceeds seventy (70) db(A) from 9:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. at any property line within a residential district or upon any public street or right-of-way within or bordering upon any residential district within the unincorporated limits of the parish.

(b)

Loud or raucous sounds or noises. It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully make, cause or continue any noise which disturbs the peace or quiet of any residential district and which exceeds seventy-five (75) db(A) during the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. or which exceeds seventy (70) db(A) from 9:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. at any property line within a residential district or upon any public street or right-of-way within, or bordering upon, any residential district within the unincorporated limits of the parish.

(c)

Responsibility for creation of noise. Any person creating any such sound or noise as described in this section and/or anyone permitting such a sound or noise to be created in, or emanate from, any premises under his care, custody or control shall be presumed responsible for any such sound or noise.

(Ord. of 6-7-2012)

Suppressors anyone? :p

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Noise ordinance would definitely apply for shooting. Different levels that get measured with a decibel meter for different times. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't apply during the day though, don't remember. I'm out of patrol now though, so I don't remember the details on it.

Depending on what part of the parish you're in, depends on what'll happen. Deep in St. Amant, probably not a problem, in the Prairieville/Galvez highly populated areas, will probably be a problem due to how densely populated the areas are in some spots.

In case it was missed. I work for APSO.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    In case it was missed. I work for APSO.

Well, well! I think we got it; Mr. "Hey Everybody, Look At Me!" :awais: :mamoru:

Just kidding! I figured it out on your first post. Thanks for the input! :hi5:

Perhaps you could run this by some of the deps that are still out there and get their temperatures on it?!? Because the more I think about it, the .22 is not going to be an issue, but anything larger and certainly louder could raise a few eyebrows.

However, in light of JBP's noise ordinance post, the suppressed .556 or any thing else subsonic should not even disturb the dog in the other yard's sleep.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well, well! I think we got it; Mr. "Hey Everybody, Look At Me!" :awais: :mamoru:

Just kidding! I figured it out on your first post. Thanks for the input! :hi5:

Perhaps you could run this by some of the deps that are still out there and get their temperatures on it?!? Because the more I think about it, the .22 is not going to be an issue, but anything larger and certainly louder could raise a few eyebrows.

However, in light of JBP's noise ordinance post, the suppressed .556 or any thing else subsonic should not even disturb the dog in the other yard's sleep.
    Have you considered making friends with your neighbors and letting them know what you plan on doing? Maybe have a BBQ and invite them in on the fun every now and then?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Suppressors anyone? :p

Absolutely.
    biME9sp.jpg

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Might not apply here, but check out LA SB133. I'm here at state capital testifying in front of House Natural Resources Committee today.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Might not apply here, but check out LA SB133. I'm here at state capital testifying in front of House Natural Resources Committee today.

This will apply to Ascension Parish in my part. It is unincorporated. This will give the Parish officials the ability to completely shut down ANY shooting in most of the Parish.

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/BillInfo.aspx?s=15RS&b=SB133&sbi=y

Get it scrapped, BEARCO.

But again; we have a 1.5 billion dollar deficit and they want to play with gun laws?!?

Idiots!

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Currently, through zoning regulations they can stop shooting on any piece of land in unincorporated areas of the parish. This doesn't give them the right, it actually takes away their ability to prohibit shooting on tracts of land over 5 acres that only have one house on it. This bill is fully supported by the National Rifle Association and the Louisiana shooting Association.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Currently, through zoning regulations they can stop shooting on any piece of land in unincorporated areas of the parish. This doesn't give them the right, it actually takes away their ability to prohibit shooting on tracts of land over 5 acres that only have one house on it. This bill is fully supported by the National Rifle Association and the Louisiana shooting Association.

I don't have 5 acres behind my house! And neither do most people that live anywhere others (which makes it populated), want to. Who is this intended to benefit?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I don't have 5 acres behind my house! And neither do most people that live anywhere others (which makes it populated), want to. Who is this intended to benefit?

Here is the current statute:
    LA RS 33.120. Zoning of heavily populated areas from hunting and shooting of firearmsThe governing authorities of the parishes of this State are authorized to zone in order to prohibit, restrict, or regulate hunting and the shooting of firearms in the heavily populated areas, as determined by said governing authorities, within their parishes, and to set penalties for violation thereof.
    Added by Acts 1956, No. 552, §1
    http://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=88671

You're local governing authority might not have passed regulations yet, but they have the authority to and it has happened all over the state. Someone might own 100 acres, but because of zoning regulations, they are not allowed to hunt or shoot on their property. This just happened in Cado Parish. In St Tammany, we have property next to each other that it is legal to shoot on one tract and not on the other.

Currently, they are really stretching the whole "heavily populated area." After new changes, the governing authority will be restricted on the following.

B. As used in this Section, "heavily populated area" shall not include any of the following:
    (1) Any parcel or tract of land which is in excess of five acres and which includes no more than one single-family residence on the parcel or tract.
    (2) A dedicated residential subdivision which is recorded as provided in R.S. 33:5051 and in which each residential lot or unit of the subdivision is in excess of five acres.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Emperor....

I live in Ascension also. Shortly after Ascension Parish adopted Home Rule Charter a proposed ordinance was submitted to limit the discharge of firearms in the parish. I organized a grass roots effort to oppose it based on the language in the proposal. It would have in effect banned the discharge of a firearm anywhere in the parish. If I can remember the distance stated was 1 mile from any road, dwelling, or structure. We made such a showing at the council meeting that the proposal was set aside. A committee was appointed to "tone it down" and resubmit it and I sat on that committee. I fought hard against any stated distance from a dwelling for several obvious reasons. At the time, I could stand in the door of my own house and shoot all day long and endanger nobody. Distance is not important. It is the direction of the shot and the suitability of containment structures. Noise however is another issue. Anyway, after several committee meetings no progress was made on a "suitable" ordinance and the effort was abandoned. To my knowledge it has never been revisited. That does not preclude the possibility that it may be looked at again in the future. Our population has probably doubled since then. I look for this issue to resurface again on a parish level. Right now, noise complaints would be the most likely or subdivision regulations.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Emperor....

I live in Ascension also. Shortly after Ascension Parish adopted Home Rule Charter a proposed ordinance was submitted to limit the discharge of firearms in the parish. I organized a grass roots effort to oppose it based on the language in the proposal. It would have in effect banned the discharge of a firearm anywhere in the parish. If I can remember the distance stated was 1 mile from any road, dwelling, or structure. We made such a showing at the council meeting that the proposal was set aside. A committee was appointed to "tone it down" and resubmit it and I sat on that committee. I fought hard against any stated distance from a dwelling for several obvious reasons. At the time, I could stand in the door of my own house and shoot all day long and endanger nobody. Distance is not important. It is the direction of the shot and the suitability of containment structures. Noise however is another issue. Anyway, after several committee meetings no progress was made on a "suitable" ordinance and the effort was abandoned. To my knowledge it has never been revisited. That does not preclude the possibility that it may be looked at again in the future. Our population has probably doubled since then. I look for this issue to resurface again on a parish level. Right now, noise complaints would be the most likely or subdivision regulations.

Stay vigilant! If it comes up again, let me know. I'm near or around Bluff. ;)

Let the bullets fly!

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    My son just bought a house on Bayou Manchac. APSO lives about 3 or 4 houses away. We will be probably speaking to him this weekend to see how the wind blows there. The previous owner said they used to shoot all the time with no issues. We even found some spent 7mm mag cases in the closet. Last weekend, it sounded like a warzone about 2 blocks away. We plan on mostly shooting .22 and suppressed .223, but we both have 1911s, so some .45 may be in the works as well.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My son just bought a house on Bayou Manchac. APSO lives about 3 or 4 houses away. We will be probably speaking to him this weekend to see how the wind blows there. The previous owner said they used to shoot all the time with no issues. We even found some spent 7mm mag cases in the closet. Last weekend, it sounded like a warzone about 2 blocks away. We plan on mostly shooting .22 and suppressed .223, but we both have 1911s, so some .45 may be in the works as well.

What part of Ascension? North of I-10, Alligator Bayou area, North of I-12? That makes a difference.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I finished up a job not long ago off Bluff rd, the house was next door to the school close to 74, every morning the neighbor would put 10-20 rounds through his carry gun then go to work, never saw a unit stop by

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom