Automatic Knives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajungunslinger

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    auto's are LEO only to carry. assisted open is good to go.

What does butterfly knife fall under???

istockphoto_1962139_butterfly_knife.jpg

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    from LRS 14:94,
    (4) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance.

Now its called "Illegal Carrying of a Weapon" so I take that to mean, if your not carrying it, your ok. Butterfly knife? No clue. Never seen anyone carry them except in kung fu movies

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    From my limited understanding, only LEO and EMT can carry them. Assisted opening knives like my CRKT M-16 with the little nub you flick with your finger is ok because it does not utilize a spring.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

(4) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance.

What a silly law based purely on the liberal media's portrayal of 'hoodlums' circa Ponyboy, SodaPop, and the rest of The Outsiders. If somebody tries to stab or rob me, it makes little difference if their knife was spring-loaded or not.
    SIPA_Outsiders_Cast_080312_ssh.jpg

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    What a silly law based purely on the liberal media's portrayal of 'hoodlums' circa Ponyboy, SodaPop, and the rest of The Outsiders. If somebody tries to stab or rob me, it makes little difference if their knife was spring-loaded or not.
    SIPA_Outsiders_Cast_080312_ssh.jpg

So, about how much money do you think that group has made in the aggregate?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

Now its called "Illegal Carrying of a Weapon" so I take that to mean, if your not carrying it, your ok. Butterfly knife? No clue. Never seen anyone carry them except in kung fu movies

Quote is correct but from 14:95.
    14:95 Illegal carrying of weapons.
    14:94 Illegal use of weapons.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    Hmmmmm... Where in there does it say LEO can carry an auto opener???

I had this discussion before with someone.. I couldn't find where it said it was OK for LEO..

Or is it one of those things ... Like where LEO can speed but I cant ??

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    no one can find anywhere in the law that says cops are exempt from violating the lrs (louisiana revised statute)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Hmmmmm... Where in there does it say LEO can carry an auto opener???

I had this discussion before with someone.. I couldn't find where it said it was OK for LEO..

Or is it one of those things ... Like where LEO can speed but I cant ??

14:95 J Full time LEO can carry "rescue knives".

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    14:95 J Full time LEO can carry "rescue knives".

actually, the problem is there is a poor definition of rescue knife. since THERE is a definition of switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance. then as long as it doesnt fit any of that, then a "rescue knife" may work.....

As used in this Subsection, a "rescue knife" is a folding knife, which can be readily and easily opened with one hand and which has at least one blade which is designed to be used to free individuals who are trapped by automobile seat belts, or at least one blade which is designed for a similar purpose. No blade of a rescue knife shall exceed five inches in length.
    thats a CURVED blade.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    And a Rescue knife is automatic?????

This is a rescue knife... Its similar to what I carried when I drove an Ambulance

houdinipro1.jpg

It has glass breaker and seat belt cutter...Does that need to be auto????

Sounds to me like I might have it right with my assertion... I dont think "rescue" means auto.. But I guess if all officers agree to call it that .. Then it is what it is...

Im not busting your chops.. I am pro-LEO.. I just wondered how you get passes on the law ... And I dont.... :zombie::zombie:

Here is a good rescue knife... Notice not auto....

http://www.equipped.org/hinderer_rescue.htm

Top Bottom