Back from Iraq, Frisco soldier finds home sold by HOA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seven-up

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2007
    Franklinton, LA
    WOW.....

by DAVID SCHECHTER

WFAA

Posted on May 14, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Updated Monday, May 17 at 9:02 PM
    Related:

* Burleson woman's HOA crisis resonates with WFAA viewers
    * HOA forecloses on Burleson woman over fees
    * Renewed effort in Austin to limit HOA powers
    * National Guard vows to 'not leave behind' officer who lost home to HOA
    * Frisco HOA that foreclosed on soldier getting death threats
    * Servicemembers Civil Relief Act information

FRISCO — A soldier returned home from combat to find his Frisco home, which was owned free and clear, sold off by his homeowners' association.

While there is a law to protect service members from financial disaster while they're off fighting a war, it is frequently broken.

On dangerous missions in Iraq, Capt. Michael Clauer of Frisco was responsible for the lives of 130 soldiers. He had a lot on his mind.

"You can't worry about what's going on at home," he said. "It's enough stress there the way it is."

His wife, Mae Clauer, was under stress, too. She was alone and taking care of her family in a $300,000 home her parents had given her as a gift.

"When Michael went to Iraq, I went into a very bad depression," she said.

The mail piled up unopened and Mrs. Clauer missed $800 in payments to her HOA. Then she missed the letters saying the association planned to foreclose.

"I ignored a lot of our bills," she said.

Even after the HOA foreclosed and sold the home at auction, Mrs. Clauer didn't open the letters that said she had six months to get the home back, and that time lapsed, too.

By the time Capt. Clauer returned from the war, someone else owned their home after paying just $3,500.

Who got that money? "I have no idea," Mrs. Clauer said. "I don't know. I don't know who got the money."

State Sen. Royce West (D-Dallas) is critical of the power of HOAs to foreclose on homes in the neighborhood. He hopes to pass legislation next year to curb that power.

"Well, it is a business," he said. "Unfortunately, not what we would want to see in terms of a neighborhood."

Under Texas law, there's no way for the Clauers to get their home back. But the Clauers have one last chance under federal law.

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) protects members of the military from many financial problems that creep up while they're away fighting for their country. But it's a law experts say is routinely broken.

"SCRA complaints are definitely one of the top issues that we see," said Lt. Janelle Kuroda, a Navy lawyer and expert on the SCRA law that effects all branches of the military.

There are at least 100 recent pending cases where a service member's rights may have been violated under the SCRA.

"Their number one focus needs to be on the mission, and if their focus is elsewhere at home with ongoing court proceedings, with family issues, or mortgage issues or other issues, then it's going to take away from their readiness and their ability to put everything they have towards the mission," Kuroda said.

The Clauers say it's well known in the neighborhood that Michael is in the Army Reserve.

Select Management, the company that manages the HOA, said it was not aware of Clauer's military status. The Clauers are suing the HOA for violating the SCRA.

But on an even simpler level, their lawyer wonders what happened to the concept of being neighborly.

"The least that would be done is a neighbor would come knock on your door or pick up the phone and call you, ask you if everything is okay," said Barber Hale, Clauer's attorney. "It's not like the bank is taking the house; these are your neighbors."

The Clauers' HOA says homeowners are free to call them, but they do not call or visit homeowners when there's a problem. They're only required to send certified letter.

Service member or not, the Clauers say a neighbor deserves more than that.

"If somebody told me that this could happen I wouldn't believe it," Capt. Clauer said. "I would say, 'That's just ridiculous. You can't do that.'"

E-mail: dschechter@wfaa.com

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    that neighborhood should stand up to the HOA for the servicemen that live there and help out as much as possible. Me and two other neighbors took turn sending dinner too our neighbor who was deployed and handled the yard work for his wife until he returned. It's a messed up world we live in today, but y'all already know that.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    The wife is the problem. Probably spoiled rich only child with never having to accept responsibility or knowing how to be an adult.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    The wife is the problem. Probably spoiled rich only child with never having to accept responsibility or knowing how to be an adult.

This is from a comment to the story that I posted. The Info is from another site. The home was targeted because it was fully paid for.

"The management company doesn't target homes with small or no equity in them. The soldier's home was targeted because it was paid off in full. The windfall was to the insiders affiliated with the management company who obtained a $296,500 windfall at the soldier's expense -

The names of the people responsible:
    HOA, starts foreclosure with Attorney Vinay B. Patel, Arlington, TX
    An AFFIDAVIT is SIGNED by "Viny", MARK C. DISANTI and JAD I. ABOUL-JIBIN stating that they certified the solider was NOT on active DUTY (in IRAQ at the time). House is then SOLD to a "client" of Patel:
    Mark Disanti, a Dallas, TX REALTOR. Mark Disanti, a Dallas, TX REALTOR, then sells house to:
    JAD I. ABOUL-JIBIN, Arlington TX . . . who happens to have been one of the "affidavit" signers.

Clauer et al v. Heritage Lakes Homeowners Association, Inc. et al
    Defendants: Heritage Lakes Homeowners Association, Inc., Jad I. Aboul-Jibin, Mark C. DiSanti and Steeplechase Productions, LLC

They should include the management company. Many don't realize that the management company is what provokes, encourages, and executes this foreclosure racket."

It looks like the same people have been involved in several similar deals.

Art

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    If the buyers who got that home for $3,500 do not offer to sell it back to the proper owners for that $3,500 (No reason they should have to lose money for that wife's irresponsibility) then they are just as despicable as the HOA.

I hope the people who "bought" that house learn of the true story and do what's right. Can't speak for the woman, but that soldier sure did nothing wrong.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Did anyone ever think to go knock on their door to see WTF was going on?

How can you not know people that live around the block?

How about a ****ing phone call?

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I've seen first hand what true, clinical depression can do. That **** is nasty. Obviously she should have taken care of it but it's possible she couldn't due to that.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Maybe, but I don't see any mention of her showing signs of extreme depression.
    I've heard of people ignoring credit card bills as if they'll just go away. That's what this sounds like to me.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.

If she was so spoiled why didn't her daddy open the mail for her? I'm sure as many of you know taking care of a family is hard enough with both parents there, but by her self I can see the mail piling up especially with most bills now a days coming directly out your bank account or automatic bill pay, online paying options. I can tell you I get at least two credit card offers a day, plus junk mail, along with important stuff. It piles up quick. You know a knock on the door by the president of the HOA would have been a better option and see what's going on with a nieghbor.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You know a knock on the door by the president of the HOA would have been a better option and see what's going on with a nieghbor.

Yes, it would have been. But I seriously doubt the contract that they signed to join the HOA included a stipulation that the president of the HOA would come personally check on you if you defaulted on your payments. There's a difference between being nice and being legal. Everybody's up in arms because the HOA wasn't being nice.........but a signed contract is LEGAL!!

I think if you're dumb enough to sign away that much power to an association then you deserve the consequences when you default on that agreement.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Why would you say she is a spoiled lil bitch? If this is his first deployment then she probably didn't know what to expect. I know when I was in the Navy some wives did fine while others were lost while hubby was gone. Not a matter of being spoiled.

When my ex and I spilt up I didn't pay anything. I didn't file taxes for a few years and I would pay bills when i got red letters in the mail if I checked the mail at all. I drove around for 6 months without car insurance cause I just didn't care. Luckily nothing bad happened during that period. It took a long time to fix that stuff. It is not cut and dry as some of you make it. I wish everyone could be as perfect and superior as some of you make yourselves out to be.

Last edited:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I've seen first hand what true, clinical depression can do. That **** is nasty. Obviously she should have taken care of it but it's possible she couldn't due to that.

I know first hand about depression. Was her power turned off? What about water? Did her kids eat? She obviously paid some of the bills, or she would be living in a cold dark place. It is a shame, HOA's shouldn't have the ability to sell the house; however, I like HOAs. Mine is great. I pay for a certain service and I reap the rewards in my neighborhood. Yes, there are rules. But guess what, I don't have to worry about my neighbor doing some funky ass BS in front of his house (cough-yard art) that could lower the value of my house. I don't ever have to worry about my neighbors yard looking like ass. 20 cars in the driveway on blocks? Won't happen in my neighborhood. I will sacrafice some small things (which honestly I can't think of right now that I miss) to maintain my level of living.

Top Bottom