Backup weapon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Many people often overlook that a backup gun is great to handoff to a buddy who doesn't carry (but is still firearms knowledgeable) should the SHTF.

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    due to where i live and commute through, i carry as much firepower as i can. unfortunately, that doesn't mean much on a daily basis since i live and work in an NPE, but i get by.

when i do venture into the jungle on errands and such, i have a backup with me, usually a g23 as primary and a kahr pm9 as BUG.

two is one, and one is none ... haven't had to test it yet, but it makes sense :thumbsup:

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    i am currently carrying a northamerican arms .22mag. + my normal carry weapon. it is hard to where an ankle rig while whereing shorts.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Many people often overlook that a backup gun is great to handoff to a buddy who doesn't carry (but is still firearms knowledgeable) should the SHTF.
    buddy not carrying a gun is gonna hear, "stay right behind me as I make a run for it".... as I use him for a shield, if you choose not to protect thy own self, don't look to me to take up the slack when the SHTF.... all of my friends either don't own handguns or if they do they are WELL educated with them, yet choose not to carry/ get a ccw.... that's their problem I'm using all the firepower I have with me to get me back to my other guns.

edit:
    back to the original question, on my person, no. I don't carry a buck up, I usually have a pocket knife. I have a Glock and a j-frame, if either can't get my to my safe place then there's a real problem going down.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    buddy not carrying a gun is gonna hear, "stay right behind me as I make a run for it".... as I use him for a shield, if you choose not to protect thy own self, don't look to me to take up the slack when the SHTF.... all of my friends either don't own handguns or if they do they are WELL educated with them, yet choose not to carry/ get a ccw.... that's their problem I'm using all the firepower I have with me to get me back to my other guns.

edit:
    back to the original question, on my person, no. I don't carry a buck up, I usually have a pocket knife. I have a Glock and a j-frame, if either can't get my to my safe place then there's a real problem going down.

Jeez some friends you guys are. If my Dad or brothers and I are out I'm not using them as a shield. My buddies I've known literally all my life are not being used as shields. I'd die with them if I have to. Maybe I'm just young and stupid. Wait, I'm older than you by a couple of years. Oh well. Guess I'm just stupid.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Jeez some friends you guys are. If my Dad or brothers and I are out I'm not using them as a shield. My buddies I've known literally all my life are not being used as shields. I'd die with them if I have to. Maybe I'm just young and stupid. Wait, I'm older than you by a couple of years. Oh well. Guess I'm just stupid.
    Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    As I stated:
    I have friends that are "scared" of guns or refuse to even shoot one for various bogus reasoning - they chose not to prepare to defend themselves and their family, they can fight with their kitchen knife that they tell me would be an adequate weapon... which is at home. They don't know how to shoot, that's their own doing, I've offered all my friends a chance to learn, they aren't going to learn while wasting my few bullets in the middle of a situation.
    --or--
    My friend's are well versed in firearms frontwards and backwards and still, they choose to leave everyday unarmed.

I'm not jumping in front of a bullet to save someone that came less prepared than myself... when I say run, they can once again make a choice... either follow me (and by virtue of their position effectively shield my back from a shooter) or they can sit there by themselves unarmed getting shot at... I'd imagine they're gonna finally start listening and follow me. don't expect me to sit there and hold off some zombie while you cry and tell me how you are too scared to save yourself ;)

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Actually, in todays example, your TRUE tactical solution would have been -

Stab dawg in the throat - this silent action doesn't draw attention to the fact you have a gun. He was on your weak side, where you had a knife - also on your weak side was good access to his (superior) piece and keys to his very close vehicle. Don't forget, he has a spare mag on him somewhere.

As quickly as possible in the process, give Shayne your J frame and tell him to lay down cover fire while you pull around with dawg's tank (yeah, right - get the hell out of dodge). He is a much better distraction than bodyshield - heavy. IMO, I'd give up a five shot J frame for the distraction.

Oh, since you already stabbed E-dawg, I'd stick with the "waste nothing" philosophy and use him as the bullet trap.

Sheesh, I don't know about hanging out w/ you guys....:eek3::mamoru:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Well, it was probably better than my initial reaction- when you need a distraction set something on fire! Lighting the curtains in the restaurant would give you more than enough time to get out, and the would-be thieves will completely forget about robbing the place, but the owners are not going to be happy with you!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    usually I just have one on me, two when working. I have the option of up to three at work though. G17, Jframe, G26.

I havent shot with anybody from this shift I'm on now, but when I requal'd with my old shift... if I get in a gunfight with several of those guys I'm tasing them and taking their mags.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    usually I just have one on me, two when working. I have the option of up to three at work though. G17, Jframe, G26.

I havent shot with anybody from this shift I'm on now, but when I requal'd with my old shift... if I get in a gunfight with several of those guys I'm tasing them and taking their mags.

Sorry. I just spit up a little visualizing an overturned table, your partner flopping around like a tuna on the deck of a boat and you calmly yanking the mags off of his duty belt.:rofl::rofl:
    I'm thinking there might be repercussions! :eek3::rofl::rofl:

Dave

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Actually, in todays example, your TRUE tactical solution would have been -

Stab dawg in the throat - this silent action doesn't draw attention to the fact you have a gun. He was on your weak side, where you had a knife - also on your weak side was good access to his (superior) piece and keys to his very close vehicle. Don't forget, he has a spare mag on him somewhere.

As quickly as possible in the process, give Shayne your J frame and tell him to lay down cover fire while you pull around with dawg's tank (yeah, right - get the hell out of dodge). He is a much better distraction than bodyshield - heavy. IMO, I'd give up a five shot J frame for the distraction.

Oh, since you already stabbed E-dawg, I'd stick with the "waste nothing" philosophy and use him as the bullet trap.
    This is a bit unsettling. I know that I sometimes hang out with some back-stabbing SOB's. But this neck-stabbing stuff is an entirely different matter.

Posted by LSP972But mainly... you and I have a surfeit of natural ballistic gelatin. Shane is pretty solid. Dawg... well, just how effective of a bullet trap do you REALLY think his narrow ass would make???

I'm not positive (I haven't asked), but I don't think my wife is going to appreciate you guys paying so much attention to my ass. Frankly, I'm not real thrilled about it myself.

Posted by jmcrawf1Sheesh, I don't know about hanging out w/ you guys....

Excellent point. In fact, I've been thinking I need to start hanging out with a much better class of people, and it has occurred to me that CL would probably represent a major improvement. I realize he is occasionally misinformed.... but I think he means well, he is unfailingly polite and he does not appear to be the kind of person who would stab me in the neck and take my Glock while staring at my ass.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    But you've still got a ways to go to catch up!

I dunno why I'm laughing; it will probably be my turn in the barrel next...

IIRC there was a brief discussion, shortly before Pangris' arrival, concerning the periodic need for me to remind certain people about the individuals with whom they are messing.

I would also opine that you are probably in greater danger of retribution from Pangris than from me. When you ran that last station, it was like pouring salt on an open wound. If I were you I'd watch my back (and neck).

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I'm posting from my bbery, so typos/spellibg can't be held against me.

Regarding MY drum circles... I have never been the first to reference your butt - I merely acknowledge the fact it is a topic of conversation more often than need be.

Your continued fascination is duly noted.

Normally I feel reassured when people say they will "watch my six." In your case..................

Last edited:
    Top Bottom