Backup weapon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Many people often overlook that a backup gun is great to handoff to a buddy who doesn't carry (but is still firearms knowledgeable) should the SHTF.

If you are in a situation you are handing off your backup to a buddy you are up a creek. Kinda like the guy who told my brother who is a captain for Jet Blue as he was boarding, "I'm qualified to fly single engine aircraft." My brother told him, "When this plane gets down to one engine you can have this mother." :rofl:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Okay, How about your buddy's gun goes down becase he didn't listen to you and bought the (insert whichever gun you like least- glock, s&w, hk, etc) and it broke the (insert fragile part). You hand him your backup knowing that if ya'll live you'll be able to rib him about buying that plastic piece of trash for years to come!

babietuan323

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2007
    new orleans
    On the other hand... one day in an Albertson's, where it seemed that things were about to go bad in a hurry, I grabbed my wife's G26 out of her purse and stuck my J-frame in her hand.

For some reason, this annoyed her... she wouldn't speak to me for two days...:D

gave me a good laugh :rofl:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I think Back up weapons are a good thing:

I used to carry a J frame till I was b!tchslapped by reality.

Now I carry a Glock 26

Yea the 'I only hang with people who carry' is great, but reality is a different thing.
    I've found myself several times with someone who was unarmed, but if armed would be a GREAT asset.

Reality check:
    2 guns shooting at a target is better than one.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    As I've said in the past... more than a few of the "I carry a REAL gun!" proponents I know sometimes don't have ANY gun on them, because they found it inconvenient/etc. to strap up.

That's exactly why I switched from the 1911 to my P3AT! The 1911 sitting in my truck wasn't doing me any good...

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I think Back up weapons are a good thing:

I used to carry a J frame till I was b!tchslapped by reality.

Now I carry a Glock 26

Yea the 'I only hang with people who carry' is great, but reality is a different thing.
    I've found myself several times with someone who was unarmed, but if armed would be a GREAT asset.

Reality check:
    2 guns shooting at a target is better than one.

what's this reality you speak of?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I LIVED reality for 30 years; and I usually carry a J frame. You may find that stupid, whatever; but its MY choice.

I understand how your experiences in the shoot house at whatever class you were at made you realize the J frame is inadequate as an offensive pistol.

Well, no ****. What you're missing here is that some of us are PAST the need/desire to "go offensive"; w carry a J frame simply to get someone off our back.

As I've said in the past... more than a few of the "I carry a REAL gun!" proponents I know sometimes don't have ANY gun on them, because they found it inconvenient/etc. to strap up.

That's their choice; its okay by me.;)

The Glock 26 carry's in the same place the Bodyguard (Which I like more) used to ride...
    Just as often (whenever I'm wearing pants).

Reality:
    Higher capacity, easier to hit with (Even Pangris admited the J frame takes more work/is harder to master) and higher round count.

I don't find it Stuped, it meets the first rule... You have a gun.
    I just no longer believe it to be the optimum choice.

It is good to know you can plan out your gunfights ahead of time.;)

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Look, enough bitching back and forth, I'm tired of it, and lets settle it.

Can we agree that:

-A J frame in trained hands is a serious weapon, and DEFINATELY better than the 45 in the gunsafe at home.

-a Glock 26 is easier to use and has over 2x the capacity

-You are likely to carry a J frame in your pocket or Ankle so as to have it always acessable/with you.

-A Glock 26 can be carried in EXACTLY the same manner.
    (Ask Conn Lover if you doubt me)

SO, do we agree and can we drop this?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    my J frame can fit in places the G26 can't, it's my choice for on duty backup as it can conceal perfectly on my person and be completely reachable without bending over, standing on one leg, etc. But, if I'm on duty and it comes down to the J frame, I've gone through 50+ rounds of 9mm and I have alot bigger problems.

But, if I'm only carrying one gun concealed, I typically carry the G26. I'm more confident shooting it.

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    the 5.11 pants pockets are just bigg enough to fit a pare of cuffs in. but they are good for iwb carry.

i usually perfer my g27 as a primary. depending on cloths i might carry my berreta. then usually backed up with my .22 mag in pocket, and my colt .38 spec. on my ankle.

the .22 mag isnt the best , but it is better than nothing.

i am thinking of retiring the colt and going with s&w air lite.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I'll agree with all except the last one. Perhaps if I wore gangsta/long-dickers; but normal clothes? No way I can carry a G26 comfortably (and unobtrusively) in a pocket, even in the 5.11 pants I usually have on.

Drop it? YOU keep bringing it up, with you snippy little comments regarding reality, etc. Some of us here are VERY well-versed in reality.

Normal clothes?
    I'm wearing Carhartt Tapered fit jeans.

Right now I have a Glock 26 in an Ankle holster (Galco ankle glove)

and another Glock 26 in my Left Front pocket.

-I do not usually carry this way (Both), but was carrying like this all weekend (In addition to my Glock 19) b/c Conn lover was unarmed/not carrying his open carry...

It was nether uncomfortable or obtrusive. (I just havn't stowed the 2nd 26.)

My Bringing it up comments were in response to it on OTHER threads also...

RedhorseG20

Smooth as eggs
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Where do I begin..........

It is 100% my fault in terms of not carrying. I wouldn't mind a nice airlight but my friends tell they are expensive. My 610 doesn't fit in my pocket.

Toe pads are only gay if Pangris wears them. LSP and dawg are getting up there in age and holding a 4lb shotgun can wear on you at times.

As far as using me as a shield then more power to you. I am much denser than I seem. Both physically and mentally. Remember that story about the draft and the little guys getting pushed where the big guys wanted them to go. Not to say that it would be easy but I could almost guarantee Pangris and Redhorse would be behind, no pun intended dawg, lsp and dawg in a 300 style shielding of the arrows.

FWIW Dawg I have not commented, looked, gazed, stared, ogled or even wondered what you fanny looks like.

I just had my knife sharpened so watch out. It is still mildly serrated due to cutting concrete. But that should be of no worry to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    if you can unobtrusively carry a G26 in a pocket, more power to you... I have enough crap in my pockets most of the time as it is, the only pocket I've had success with is a cargo pocket on shorts or pants.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    if you can unobtrusively carry a G26 in a pocket, more power to you... I have enough crap in my pockets most of the time as it is, the only pocket I've had success with is a cargo pocket on shorts or pants.

I'm not faulting your decision, just pointing out that YOU CHOOSE to carry that 'Crap' rather than a pistol...
    Be it a J frame, Glock, or Kel Tec...

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    well, I cant exactly whip out my g26 everytime I gotta get my keys or chapstick out of my pocket, can I? It comes out plenty fast from my IWB holster and conceals alot better than having a huge front pocket. I try not to keep my primary on ankle unless clothing or situation dictate.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Like I said, not criticizing, just emphasizing your statement.

I keep 2 lighters, change, chapstick, knife, pen, keys and cell phone in my other 'hip pocket'

Yea, I have to plan where each thing goes, but it fits.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/17819169.html

A Fresno high school student is dead following a confrontation on the Roosevelt High School campus with a Fresno police officer Wednesday morning.

The student has been only been identified as a 17-year-old sophomore at Roosevelt High School.

The incident happened shortly before noon. According to Police Chief Jerry Dyer, the school's resource officer, identified as Junus Perry, 38, was coming out of his office located on the southeast part of campus when he was struck by the student with a baseball bat.

The officer fell to the ground and tried to remove the firearm on his holster, but the magazine became dislodged. He then retrieved his secondary weapon, a semi-automatic handgun on an ankle holster, and fired at least once at the student.

At that point the student fell to the ground. Officers arriving at the scene began performing CPR on the student, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Chief Dyer said the officer sustained a large gash on his head and was taken by ambulance to Community Regional Medical Center, where he is listed in fair condition.

The officer has been with the Fresno Police Department for ten and a half years, and was assigned to Roosevelt High School for the past three years.

Chief Dyer said there is no indication that the student and the officer had any prior confrontations.

Administrators said class was in session at the time of the incident. There were five students who did witness the altercation at some point and they are being interviewed by investigating detectives.

Acting Fresno Unified Superintendent Ruthie Quinto said the safety of other students was not compromised. The school was placed on lockdown and students have since been released.

Chief Dyer said his officers do have the option to carry a secondary, back-up weapon if they chose to do so.

According to investigators the baseball bat used by the student was modified, with the handle broken off and black electrical tape wrapped around the bottom.

Stay with KSEE 24 News for more on this developing story on the news @ 4,5, and 6.

Top Bottom