The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bravotwosixtactical

Bravo Two Six Tactical
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2024
    Luling, LA

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpeg
      IMG_0887.jpeg
      394.8 KB · Views: 51

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    This is a custom Heavy .308 for a Remington 700
    View attachment 171738
    Ok in the 2nd to last pic, what is that defect in the barrel? looks like a chuck scar someone tried to clean up with a file.
    In the last pic, adjust your feeds and speeds or use sharper tooling to get a better surface finish or at least use files cratex and scotch bright to clean those faces up. But I see chatter in the corner of your counterbore so it probably feeds and speeds
    Also do you not break your corners?

bravotwosixtactical

Bravo Two Six Tactical
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2024
    Luling, LA
    Ok in the 2nd to last pic, what is that defect in the barrel? looks like a chuck scar someone tried to clean up with a file.
    In the last pic, adjust your feeds and speeds or use sharper tooling to get a better surface finish or at least use files cratex and scotch bright to clean those faces up. But I see chatter in the corner of your counterbore so it probably feeds and speeds
    Also do you not break your corners?
    I appreciate your “critique”, however,:
    1. It is not a “defect”, it was an intentional groove cut for aesthetics. I cut it myself!
    2. You speak as someone who may have some machining knowledge, however, you are not seeing “chatter”. You are seeing a reflection. This barrel had already been installed on the action, and tested. It’s was removed for work that still needed to be done on the receiver. That is where some of the scratches came from.
    3. There is no need to “break corners”. It’s a personal preference.

This barrel was made by myself with a .0003” tolerance from a raw barrel blank. So frankly, while I appreciate the criticism, it came across more like someone trying to pick a fight. I’m not interested!

bravotwosixtactical

Bravo Two Six Tactical
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2024
    Luling, LA
    How would one go about holding tolerances that small?
    First, it requires making your wife angry by spending thousands of dollars on quality equipment! LOL!
    Seriously though, it takes quality equipment and patience. Not too many people want to take the time that is required to get it right. Not too profitable for many, at least in their minds. I’m working on retirement, so I’m not worried about “making a full time living” off of this. I do it for the enjoyment!

bravotwosixtactical

Bravo Two Six Tactical
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2024
    Luling, LA
    I get that part, but how do you physically get the barrel lined up that good?
    I have spent up to an hour indicating a barrel, just because I wanted it “perfect”. Now I know that there is no such thing as a true .00000…..” barrel. It’s doesn’t exist! There are some really high end barrels that I’ve been told are down to .00005”, but those were also made with $500,000.00 machines and you’re paying a premium price for them. My indicator can read down to .0001” and I’m yet to get a finished product that close. Maybe one day!

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Oh yeah I got plenty of experience, I’ve been there, done that, still doing it.
    Not trying to stat a fight, but that’s chatter
    Any decent machinist can see it. Go post a pic of your barrel on practical machinist or accurate shooter and ask for opinions. You’re gonna get your feelings hurt.
    Congrats on turning down a blank to a contour, that’s not that difficult but why would you care about the od of it being .0003? It does not matter and I don’t know one barrel company that cares about the od other than surface finish. And how are you machining .0003 and more importantly how are you measuring that? I’ve been to shilen, I’ve been in inspection rooms capable of that , I’ve been in a benchrest gunsmiths shop that is capable of that, unless you’re climate controlled with $250k of very specialized metrology equipment you’re not measuring to .0003, even though you have a .0001 test indicator. You chambering on a 10ee? High dollar cnc? Then no .0003.
    Looking at your threads and finish work, you’re not holding anything to .0003.

And yes you need to break your corners 1/32 radius , or else you’ll have feeding problems and shave brass. I even radius single shot match 22’s so it doesn’t scratch the lead bullet and those are fed by hand.

Look I’m self taught and by no means a professional but I’ve been doing this a long time. I found every old gunsmith and machinist who’d let me watch them and learned and took criticism. All my shooting accomplishments are with my own work. There’s a very few on this board that I’ve done work for and know what I can do.

I want you to get better, and you’ll get there, if you listen to criticism and improve your technique, but you’re not ready to hang your shingle. I in good conscience could not charge for work of that quality.

bravotwosixtactical

Bravo Two Six Tactical
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2024
    Luling, LA
    Oh yeah I got plenty of experience, I’ve been there, done that, still doing it.
    Not trying to stat a fight, but that’s chatter
    Any decent machinist can see it. Go post a pic of your barrel on practical machinist or accurate shooter and ask for opinions. You’re gonna get your feelings hurt.
    Congrats on turning down a blank to a contour, that’s not that difficult but why would you care about the od of it being .0003? It does not matter and I don’t know one barrel company that cares about the od other than surface finish. And how are you machining .0003 and more importantly how are you measuring that? I’ve been to shilen, I’ve been in inspection rooms capable of that , I’ve been in a benchrest gunsmiths shop that is capable of that, unless you’re climate controlled with $250k of very specialized metrology equipment you’re not measuring to .0003, even though you have a .0001 test indicator. You chambering on a 10ee? High dollar cnc? Then no .0003.
    Looking at your threads and finish work, you’re not holding anything to .0003.

And yes you need to break your corners 1/32 radius , or else you’ll have feeding problems and shave brass. I even radius single shot match 22’s so it doesn’t scratch the lead bullet and those are fed by hand.

Look I’m self taught and by no means a professional but I’ve been doing this a long time. I found every old gunsmith and machinist who’d let me watch them and learned and took criticism. All my shooting accomplishments are with my own work. There’s a very few on this board that I’ve done work for and know what I can do.

I want you to get better, and you’ll get there, if you listen to criticism and improve your technique, but you’re not ready to hang your shingle. I in good conscience could not charge for work of that quality.
    Well cool story, good for you, and I hope one day I can get as good as you!

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I have training and experience as a machinist. I have made a living with the trade over my past 63-years. I find it best to remove sharp corners, unless specified on the print to not break the corner. Chatter is a bugger that is hard to figure out. I noticed that on inside corners to keep the tool moving reduces the propensity for chatter. I learned to cheat and clean up chatter by using things like match sticks or pop sickle sticks covered in emery cloth, rolled emery cloth, rubber infused with abrasive, and scotchbrite.
    Accuracy to tenths of a thousand of an inch is for the most part is correct for the atmospheric and environmental conditions at the time. I have had my measuring tools verified both in shop conditions or in climate controlled (not necessarily 68 degrees F/ 20 degrees C). I am of the opinion something indicated to within an amount, the runnout is unaffected by environmental factors. In other words, I indicate a shaft within .001" at 75 degrees and the runnout is checked the next day on the inspection table at 68 degrees the runnout will still be .001.
    Metal will do some weird stuff when stressed or stress relieved.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom