Belt/Vest/Plate Carrier Setup-Loadout

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Thanks guys. VG, I was just checking out your site. The classes look affordable and you have many great recommendations by others here on BS. Ill be saving my change to participate in a course soon.

Would it be silly/impractical to use a ar pistol with the stablizing brace (shoulder fired)for one of your carbine courses? Its not my only option, just curios.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think there's a time and place for both (carry setup vs "training" setup). I have my basic carry setup, and a "battle belt" setup, which basically emulates my daily carry except with OWB holster, an extra pistol mag and small med kit. In advanced classes that are faster paced with higher round counts, working with one spare mag and an IWB holster will only be a pain in the ass, hold up the class and **** people off. Basically it comes down to what you are training. In an intro/intermediate class it probably makes sense to use your carry gear. In more advanced classes you're likely working on things well beyond drawstroke and other basics.

Personally, carry gear aside, I use a belt for my pistol setup, and chest rig for my carbine mags. It's more of a "tiered" approach since I spend more time shooting pistol than carbine, so I'm not having to switch things around. Just add the chest rig when shooting carbine. It also allows me to set up my belt in a way that better emulates my carry setup. And, being a size 32, it's not like I have a ton of belt space for rifle mags anyway. :o

My belt also serves sorta double duty, since it's a cobra buckle setup, I leave it ready to roll in the closet. That way if I'm given the chance in a home defense scenario I can throw it on quickly and have a holster, spare mags and a med kit on me even if I'm nekkid.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I think there's a time and place for both (carry setup vs "training" setup). I have my basic carry setup, and a "battle belt" setup, which basically emulates my daily carry except with OWB holster, an extra pistol mag and small med kit. In advanced classes that are faster paced with higher round counts, working with one spare mag and an IWB holster will only be a pain in the ass, hold up the class and **** people off. Basically it comes down to what you are training. In an intro/intermediate class it probably makes sense to use your carry gear. In more advanced classes you're likely working on things well beyond drawstroke and other basics.

Personally, carry gear aside, I use a belt for my pistol setup, and chest rig for my carbine mags. It's more of a "tiered" approach since I spend more time shooting pistol than carbine, so I'm not having to switch things around. Just add the chest rig when shooting carbine. It also allows me to set up my belt in a way that better emulates my carry setup. And, being a size 32, it's not like I have a ton of belt space for rifle mags anyway. :o

My belt also serves sorta double duty, since it's a cobra buckle setup, I leave it ready to roll in the closet. That way if I'm given the chance in a home defense scenario I can throw it on quickly and have a holster, spare mags and a med kit on me even if I'm nekkid.

You only CC 1 extra mag? If so what mag pouch do you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You only CC 1 extra mag?

Yep. If my problems aren't solved in 33rds they probably aren't problems I should be trying to solve with a pistol. I do keep a couple extra mags in the car as well.

ETA: either a Comptac pouch or back pocket depending on what I'm wearing.

And yes, I have shot classes working the mags out of my back pocket. :p

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Yep. If my problems aren't solved in 33rds they probably aren't problems I should be trying to solve with a pistol. I do keep a couple extra mags in the car as well.

I used the comp tac single pouch years ago because it's the only clip on mag pouch made worth a darn if you ask me but it moved around too much for me. Now I use a comp tac double mag pouch and I find it stays put much better and prints the same as the single pouch.

After you fire 33rds you can't choose to not be involved "just saying".

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I used the comp tac single pouch years ago because it's the only clip on mag pouch made worth a darn if you ask me but it moved around too much for me. Now I use a comp tac double mag pouch and I find it stays put much better and prints the same as the single pouch.

After you fire 33rds you can't choose to not be involved "just saying".

Well, you can "what if" your way to a full combat loadout if you try hard enough. 33rds and a spare mag in case of malfunction is enough of a compromise vs. comfort and practicality for me.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    VG, can you elaborate on the importance of the direction of the bullets please?

Video or link would work too.

Put your belt on and go for a pistol mag like he is, and see which way it ends up. Because your hand is reaching down with the index finger extended, instead of reaching down and backwards(like you're going for a beer can grip on an AR mag), when you bring the magazine up the bullets will be facing the proper direction.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    And here is that beer can grip. If you look at the hands, you can see how the wrist is twisting more to get the AR mag, so the mag makes a turn on the way up to the rifle. Skip to 0:45

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks guys. VG, I was just checking out your site. The classes look affordable and you have many great recommendations by others here on BS. Ill be saving my change to participate in a course soon.

Would it be silly/impractical to use a ar pistol with the stablizing brace (shoulder fired)for one of your carbine courses? Its not my only option, just curios.

I think the Arm Brace will likely cause you to struggle with accuracy and may become uncomfortable after the 1st couple hundred rounds. YMMV your welcome to give it a shot.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Well, you can "what if" your way to a full combat loadout if you try hard enough. 33rds and a spare mag in case of malfunction is enough of a compromise vs. comfort and practicality for me.

You misunderstood me. I asked because I've been looking for a clip on single mag pouch that's comfy because I don't feel the double I use is needed. I was just joking about the 33rds because I KNOW it's more than enough for CC. Again I use the double because it's more comfy than the single not because I need more rds.

If I wanted to "what if" my way into a full combat loadout I would buy a battle belt and chest rig.

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA

What is your CC of choice to carry 33 rounds?

My G17 is to big to CC as is but with a 33 round mag I may have to CC in the 12 position. :)

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Please dont take this the wrong way, I am not trying to come off as a dick but for regular non-LEO folks why would you ever need gear like that? I have IWB holsters for some of my pistols and a couple OWB plus mag pouches. I will say that I am one of the folks VG talked about that I do not EDC. I keep a pistol in my vehicle sometimes but that is about it.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Please dont take this the wrong way, I am not trying to come off as a dick but for regular non-LEO folks why would you ever need gear like that? I have IWB holsters for some of my pistols and a couple OWB plus mag pouches. I will say that I am one of the folks VG talked about that I do not EDC. I keep a pistol in my vehicle sometimes but that is about it.

You bring up a valid point. If you EDC out of a IWB why shoot a 3 day class out of a padded belt you only wear for classes? Train how you fight. I train out of a few different rigs that I employ but most are set up very close to each other. Same holsters, pouches in same position. Muscle memory saves your ass when sugar goes to ****. It will also **** you up if you train with one set up and EDC another. Stress sends you to your lowest level of proficiency.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    You bring up a valid point. If you EDC out of a IWB why shoot a 3 day class out of a padded belt you only wear for classes? Train how you fight. I train out of a few different rigs that I employ but most are set up very close to each other. Same holsters, pouches in same position. Muscle memory saves your ass when sugar goes to ****. It will also **** you up if you train with one set up and EDC another. Stress sends you to your lowest level of proficiency.

Exactly, That's why our detectives don't wear duty belts at the range for training. You should always wear in training what you wear on the street.

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    Muscle memory saves your ass when sugar goes to ****...Stress sends you to your lowest level of proficiency.

Best quote ever.

I am with the "why do you need it" crowd. If you arent planning on walking into a two way range, you dont need the battle belt or plate carrier.

Play around with various methods of concealed carry until you find one that clicks with you, and go from there.

Now, if youre just wanting a set up for SHTF type stuff, which I havent heard you say, then by all means...different story.

Top Bottom