Best 9mm Gold Dot round for Glock 19? Or is there a better choice for a carry round?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    That is a GREAT price guys, they usually run $29 + Shipping per 50

Very good price...if I could find a way to get some from Walker to Welsh I'd definitely pick some up...

I'm fond of the plain ol' 124 gr GDHP but I've been wanting to try some of the +P also...

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Anyone have feedback on the Remington Golden Saber 147gr Bonded JHP rounds? Don't even remember where/when I got them, but I have a bunch in the "stash".

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Very good price...if I could find a way to get some from Walker to Welsh I'd definitely pick some up...

I'm fond of the plain ol' 124 gr GDHP but I've been wanting to try some of the +P also...

I could probably help you out. PM me if you're interested. Same for anyone near me that may want some.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Been carrying Gold Dot 124+P for years in my G26. I recycle my carry ammo at least every 3 months. I dump the "old" ammo at the range when I do my drills and just keep re-supplying what I use. The wife uses 135grn low recoil Hydra Shoks in her Kahr CW9 and 90grn low recoil Hydra Shoks in her Bersa .380 (the kitchen gun). I've recently purchased a bunchof 147 grn Gold Dots and have been using them like FMJs at the range. Got them at an excellent price and there's nothing like doing your defensive drills with your carry ammo or something very close to it.

I swear by Gold Dot +P 9mm....I've killed at least 5 pigs under 200lbs with it. Only 1 pig I had to shoot 3 times...that bastard must've been on crack. I can usually down a 200lb pig with one or two shots using 124+P Gold Dots. Oh yeah,I like to hunt pigs with a G17 sometimes.

TangoCharlie145

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Alexandria, LA
    Been carrying Gold Dot 124+P for years in my G26. I recycle my carry ammo at least every 3 months. I dump the "old" ammo at the range when I do my drills and just keep re-supplying what I use. The wife uses 135grn low recoil Hydra Shoks in her Kahr CW9 and 90grn low recoil Hydra Shoks in her Bersa .380 (the kitchen gun). I've recently purchased a bunchof 147 grn Gold Dots and have been using them like FMJs at the range. Got them at an excellent price and there's nothing like doing your defensive drills with your carry ammo or something very close to it.

I swear by Gold Dot +P 9mm....I've killed at least 5 pigs under 200lbs with it. Only 1 pig I had to shoot 3 times...that bastard must've been on crack. I can usually down a 200lb pig with one or two shots using 124+P Gold Dots. Oh yeah,I like to hunt pigs with a G17 sometimes.

That is good to know what the terminal performance of these rounds are. Hogs are a good "test medium" to get results from. Thanks for sharing this.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I have actually read and been told that some of the Buffalo Bore loads using common projectiles (GDs for example; non-hard cast stuff) end up performing worse due to the increased velocities. In essence, the bullet construction is geared towards a very narrow velocity window, and when a projectile exceeds it, they tend to come apart/open too fast and can result in too little penetration. IIRC, it also made barrier performance (ESP. auto glass) much more erratic.

On my phone so I can't check my links. :(

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have actually read and been told that some of the Buffalo Bore loads using common projectiles (GDs for example; non-hard cast stuff) end up performing worse due to the increased velocities. In essence, the bullet construction is geared towards a very narrow velocity window, and when a projectile exceeds it, they tend to come apart/open too fast and can result in too little penetration. IIRC, it also made barrier performance (ESP. auto glass) much more erratic.

On my phone so I can't check my links.

That actually wouldn't surprise me too much. It also wouldn't surprise me if turned out not be true. I general prefer the hard cast lead anyway.

Dave

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Guys,

I just bought some of the 124gr +p Gold Dots from JBP55. The ammo is legit, was offered at a great price, and in general he is a great guy to meet and talk to. I would recommend anyone who is looking for this ammo to consider him if he still has some. Excellent experience. Thanks, James.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    i just got some hornady critical defense for christmas and when i was researching how they compared to gold dot, ranger etc (heard they are great defense rounds) i found these vids on youtube in case anyone is wondering how well they work. the rangers looked nasty! might not be as scientific as balistic gel but it seems to work....

critical defense

gold dot

winchester ranger

HST

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The 124+P Gold Dot equaled the 147 HST in expansion and penetrated more than any of the other rounds.

Top Bottom