Best all-around (kills EVERYTHING) weed/grass killer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I purchased some stuff called "Eraser" and some "2,4-D" from Old Tyme in Gonzales a few days ago and sprayed around my house/driveway/etc. It worked good in some places but the stuff is still green in others two days later. Am I being too impatient? Or should I try something stronger? As per their instructions, I mixed 1.5oz of each per Gal of water (3oz of each in my 2 gal sprayer).

eraser_41_percent.jpg
    +
    hiyield24d1632oz.jpg

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    2,4-D is a selective weed killer, unless mixed potently iirc

Edit: Ha, now I read that in the picture. Anyway, standard mixing will not kill most grass types with 24D iirc

BillnLA

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Albany
    The Eraser you have is a non-selective herbicide, kills everything, including plants you may not want to die. Haven't used that particular brand but have used others with the 41% glyphosphate, including Hi-Yield's. I found to really be effective on anyting but grass it had to be mixed closer to about 3 oz per gallon. But once it kills, everything stays dead for a couple of months at least.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    The Eraser you have is a non-selective herbicide, kills everything, including plants you may not want to die. Haven't used that particular brand but have used others with the 41% glyphosphate, including Hi-Yield's. I found to really be effective on anyting but grass it had to be mixed closer to about 3 oz per gallon. But once it kills, everything stays dead for a couple of months at least.
    If I spray it, I want it D-E-A-D including grass directly around the house, in the driveway, etc etc. I will double the mixture and spray it again this weekend. :cool:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Any generic Round-Up from a farm chemical store.
    It is twice the concentration of the retail packaged Round-Up at about 20% of the price.

The downside is it comes in a 2.5 gallon jug.

EDIT:

It looks like Eraser is generic Round-Up so just give it time.
    It usually takes 4-7 days for you to see the results.

I don't remember what I paid my last 2.5 gal jug, but I know it was less than $50, maybe less than $40.

Last edited:

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    Agent Orange, but I'm not sure you really want to go there...

beyond that salt is affordable and effective.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Two days is too quick to expect the herbicide to work. Give it more time. You should begin to see a faint yellowing of the sprayed area after 3-4 days with a full kill in 14 days. This is if you mix at suggested levels. I have seen Roundup used at a rate 4-5 times stronger than suggested and it will kill quicker. But you are just spending money to feed your impatience by using the heavy handed approach. My advice, mix at suggested rate and be patient. The grass will die and you will save money. You can hit it again in 2-3 weeks if needed. Also consider that Roundup ( glyphosphate) works best on actively growing vegetation. The 2-4D works better on broad leaf plants. If you want to spray a fence row or similar, mix the Roundup and 2-4D together and spray.

SwampKat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Laplace, LA
    Hi-yield (forgot the product name) for grass/weeds and Hi-yield 38 (contains 38% permethrin) for yard pest (ants, fleas, spiders, ect).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom