Best all-around Scope / Magnification for a .50BMG rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm looking for a new scope. Would like good glass and need a reticle that contrasts well. I have looked through a few that were clear but the reticles were rather gray and light and harder to see. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to be shooting it, I need it to work for me.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    For that range something with 15x on the top end would be fine. I prefer 22-25 on the top end and the way I see it is if you don't need it keep it dialed back. Joe is the local NF cheerleader :p but I couldn't agree more. NF scopes have fairly thick lines at least compared to my Premier Gen2 XR which should be helpful for you. And they are bullet proof and the NXS line will hold up to the recoil.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    thanks for the replies. I have my Trijicon 5-20 x 50 on it now, and have been told by a few that a little more magnification would be nice. after looking at the NF scopes, I see that they have an 8-32. any thoughts good or bad about having one in that that range?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    thanks for the replies. I have my Trijicon 5-20 x 50 on it now, and have been told by a few that a little more magnification would be nice. after looking at the NF scopes, I see that they have an 8-32. any thoughts good or bad about having one in that that range?

I have the NSX 8-32x56 for F-class shooting and while it's a great scope, it doesn't have a lot of elevation adjustment (only 65moa total) if you ever plan to shoot extreme long range. I'm not familiar with the ballistics of the .50BMG, but I would think that a 20x would be plenty since you won't be able to dial much more than that at long range due to mirage. That said, if you're only shooting it 200-600yds then the 8-32 would be just fine.

For the big .50, my opinion is that you're better off with a 5.5-22x56. At 22x you'll be able to see anything 1/2moa out to the limit of that caliber.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Stick with the NXS line with 22x on the top end. You should be able to shoot to 2000 with that on any size target that you could legitimately hit at that range. The 8-32 is the benchrest model which as Ritten has said has limited elevation adjustment and more importantly is not rated to the same G force rating. The benchrest line is rated to IIRC 850 G's which is near what the 50 BMG produces. The NXS line is tested to 1250 G's both positive and negative.

If the Trijicon is holding up then I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:

Parlow

Type 07/Class 02 SOT
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    I have a Leupold Mark 4 on my .50 and it kinda sucks. Great scope but not as good as the NXS. If you are interested in it I may sell it.

What kind of .50 you schooting?

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    I stand corrected I thought the NXS line stopped at 22x. Learn something new every day. But still at 600 yards you can do that with a 10 power. I was shooting 500 yards with a 3-10x on 10 power about 2 weeks ago and could see the target fine. Plus with our hot summers the mirage gets so bad usually about 14-17x is all I can go or the target gets washed out by mirage at longer distance.

Even the 8-32 NXS has limited elevation travel as compared to the 22x. So this would limit you in either how close you could zero if you have a canted base or how far you could adjust if you do not. That round can cover alot of distance and you need alot of adjustment for say 600 - 2000 yards.

Last edited:

GWB

dumb? you better be tough
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    I use the NF 12x42-56mm NXS ON MY .50. It is probably more than I need, but I have a habit of going overboard on weapon gear. (or at least that's what my wife says :D)
    It has the Mil dot reticle, and it very clear even at 42x magnification. It also has an illuminated reticle which is nice under certain light conditions. It takes very high rings to mount it, for it to clear the rail. All in all NF has my vote on the best long range optics. .02

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The last 600 yard match, I shot the first 2 strings on 2.5 power,:doh: the target was really, really small, but I hit it! , then I turned it up to 10, much, much better:D

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have a Leupold Mark 4 on my .50 and it kinda sucks. Great scope but not as good as the NXS. If you are interested in it I may sell it.

What kind of .50 you schooting?

I have a Bushmaster (Cobb) .50 It already has my Trijicon 5-20X50 on it and I want to upgrade, so a Mk IV that "kinda sucks" is kinda out.

I use the NF 12x42-56mm NXS ON MY .50. It is probably more than I need, but I have a habit of going overboard on weapon gear. (or at least that's what my wife says :D)
    It has the Mil dot reticle, and it very clear even at 42x magnification. It also has an illuminated reticle which is nice under certain light conditions. It takes very high rings to mount it, for it to clear the rail. All in all NF has my vote on the best long range optics. .02

how much elevation adjustment compared to the 8-32?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom