Best close quarters shotgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Since it’s the tax free weekend I went to a local gun shop also looking for a home defense shotgun. However, I ended up coming home with this instead. He offered me a deal and it was tax free.

I still need a home defense shotgun. I have a VEPR-12 but I wouldn’t really call that a home defense shotgun.

Attachments

• IMG_5545.jpeg
      IMG_5545.jpeg
      435.8 KB · Views: 28

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Since it’s the tax free weekend I went to a local gun shop also looking for a home defense shotgun. However, I ended up coming home with this instead. He offered me a deal and it was tax free.

I still need a home defense shotgun. I have a VEPR-12 but I wouldn’t really call that a home defense shotgun.
    I think that would work just fine as a home defense shotgun

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I agree with a maverick 88 or any cheap shotgun. The biggest reason is it may not be the right tool for you. Usually they have low capacity, lots of recoil and you have to run (if it's a pump) it perfect to get a second shot which isn't for everyone.

I recommend going take a class with it as well. I did with an instructor here in Houma. My gear failed and so did my cheap buckshot. While it isn't a self defense firearm, it was fun and I learned a lot.

On a side note, I do pattern my guns and shells. It's interesting to see how far each load typically spreads. For example, I got my SBS (with certain pattern masters chokes) to pattern nearly as tight or tighter as my 28" with a full choke. I have not chronographed them to see how much of a velocity difference there is. I'm afraid to shoot the chrono.

Lastly, you DO have to aim a shotgun.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Based off of the question alone I’m going to assume you’re inexperienced and I don’t mean that in a bad way so please don’t take offense. People recommending $1,000+ shotguns seems kinda overkill to me.

Get yourself a Mossberg Maverick 88 with 18.5” barrel brand new for around $250. Take it to the range and shoot it. If you want to upgrade after that maybe look into the 500, 590 or possibly a semi auto. The maverick 88 has proven to be a work horse for a very affordable price. Any decent semi auto is going to run you $1,000+ which is why I personally choose to keep a pump.

If you’re going to go semi auto I’d look into the beretta offerings like the 1301 or A400 and skip the Benelli M4. Imo they are entirely too finicky for the price and the quality control is hit or miss from one to another. IF you happen to get what your supposed to they are great but without effort you can find too many videos on YouTube or testimonies from people who own them about reliability issues. I’m sure this statement may ruffle some feathers because people tend to be married to their purchases but it’s just the conclusion I’ve come too after doing research on the subject myself.

I would steer clear of any newer 870’s until the quality control from Remington improves.
    The first time I brought a Maverick 88 to the range 3" 00 Buck made the forearm leap out of my left hand, and left a mark on my shoulder.
    However: Reduced recoil 00 Buck is MUCH more manageable, especially after I took the butt pad off the stock, and shoved a pound of cast bullets, wrapped in an old t-shirt in there.
    That shotgun instantly became a ***** cat to shoot. I gave that 88 to one of my wife's students who bought his first home.

I have an old S&W 20ga pump action shotgun that I cut an inch off the LOP and cut the barrel down to 18 1/4". I keep it loaded up with #4 Buck.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I wouldn't call a $1000 shotgun a budget shotgun.
    If you have ever looked at quality semi auto hunting/defense or trap shooting shotguns then yes you would see that $1000 is very reasonable for a “quality semi auto shotgun “ with those features

But hey, to each his own… 99.9% of the people on here will buy a $300 shotgun, for the end of the world and self defense, shoot it 3 times and put it in the closet for 20 years cause it kicks to hard and never take it out again… so really most people a single shot NEF would satisfy there needs lol

Would dare say less than 2% of this forum put in the trigger time via live fire, dry fire, drawing from concealment, practice clearing your house, acquiring sight picture muscle memory, clearing malfunctions ect …. Sooo yea.. most prob don’t shoot but 100 rounds every 6 months at the most

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    If you have ever looked at quality semi auto hunting/defense or trap shooting shotguns then yes you would see that $1000 is very reasonable for a “quality semi auto shotgun “ with those features

But hey, to each his own… 99.9% of the people on here will buy a $300 shotgun, for the end of the world and self defense, shoot it 3 times and put it in the closet for 20 years cause it kicks to hard and never take it out again… so really most people a single shot NEF would satisfy there needs lol

Would dare say less than 2% of this forum put in the trigger time via live fire, dry fire, drawing from concealment, practice clearing your house, acquiring sight picture muscle memory, clearing malfunctions ect …. Sooo yea.. most prob don’t shoot but 100 rounds every 6 months at the most
    I used to shoot a lot more when i was interested in USPSA and/or IDPA but you are correct. The vast majority of us don't have the time, or interest, with family, jobs and life in general to invest in all that practice. Especially considering the odds of your house being broken into in the middle of the night is very slim. Don't get me wrong it is still a terrifying thought.

I've never hunted, I know what trap/skeet is but never have participated or watched it. So yes i am lacking as well.
    I have a Remington 1100 semi auto that my wife bought for me. It is beautiful and I have shot it a few times and again you are right it has been just sitting in the back of the safe. Not because it kicks to hard just lack of time and interest to go shooting. Working shiftwork sucks at times.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond

I bought one of these awhile back after some hesitation. But the good reviews on another forum convinced me to try it out.
    Paid right at $400 delivered. I am more than satisfied so far.I haven't put as many rds as my Beretta's, which I have had for more yrs then some of you are alive, but has operated without malfunction with everything I feed it, just as fast and with less recoil then my Beretta's 1201's

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I used to shoot a lot more when i was interested in USPSA and/or IDPA but you are correct. The vast majority of us don't have the time, or interest, with family, jobs and life in general to invest in all that practice. Especially considering the odds of your house being broken into in the middle of the night is very slim. Don't get me wrong it is still a terrifying thought.

I've never hunted, I know what trap/skeet is but never have participated or watched it. So yes i am lacking as well.
    I have a Remington 1100 semi auto that my wife bought for me. It is beautiful and I have shot it a few times and again you are right it has been just sitting in the back of the safe. Not because it kicks to hard just lack of time and interest to go shooting. Working shiftwork sucks at times.
    I feel ya!! I’ve been on shift for 17 years and got another 25 to go :zombie:.. I’m blessed enough to be able to shoot on my property in my back yard. It used to be a pain to get everything loaded up and go to the range.. only downside is I burn though ammo being able to go in the back yard anytime I want lol

Kipp Castaing

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Poplarville MS
    This was $500 when I bought it. Black aces has a bad reputation for not being reliable but I broke it initially like they said and as long as I'm using good buckshot or slugs I trust it. I pulled out today to run it some and it worked fine. Nice and short from the factory.

Attachments

• 20240908_162951.jpg
      20240908_162951.jpg
      803.7 KB · Views: 21
    • 20240908_170408.jpg
      20240908_170408.jpg
      540.9 KB · Views: 18
    Last edited:

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    If someone isn't going to put in the time and practice to make sure their cheap $1000 shotgun is actually reliable, then that makes less sense to me to recommend that over a more reliable cheap pump shotgun.

Or get ar15 style rifle. That way you just press the trigger and it will shoot 30 times. I'm not good with either so don't take my word for it.

Last edited:

Wilson54

MS-Deltan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Louisiana
    I'd use my Savage Stevens 16. Cleanly lobbed for 18.5 with a large orange dot sight. B'day present when I was 12. Crack barrel single. I have the options of either high brass #4 lead or
    350gr Slug at 1600fps.
    I own several 12s (pump and autos) but I love that little stubby 16. Has auto ejector too! :)

Kipp Castaing

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Poplarville MS
    I still say this is the best one for close Quarters. Genesis gen-12 7 inch barreled SBS. I love this thing. Short, easy to handle, eats any shells you put in it, Reliable.. the Benelli M4 is awesome!, And proven But it's really long for close quarters. But I'm no professional so it's just my opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240908-165137_Chrome~2.jpg
      Screenshot_20240908-165137_Chrome~2.jpg
      304.1 KB · Views: 12

IlivnDaBoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    SHREVEPORT
    Based off of the question alone I’m going to assume you’re inexperienced and I don’t mean that in a bad way so please don’t take offense. People recommending $1,000+ shotguns seems kinda overkill to me.

Get yourself a Mossberg Maverick 88 with 18.5” barrel brand new for around $250. Take it to the range and shoot it. If you want to upgrade after that maybe look into the 500, 590 or possibly a semi auto. The maverick 88 has proven to be a work horse for a very affordable price. Any decent semi auto is going to run you $1,000+ which is why I personally choose to keep a pump.

If you’re going to go semi auto I’d look into the beretta offerings like the 1301 or A400 and skip the Benelli M4. Imo they are entirely too finicky for the price and the quality control is hit or miss from one to another. IF you happen to get what your supposed to they are great but without effort you can find too many videos on YouTube or testimonies from people who own them about reliability issues. I’m sure this statement may ruffle some feathers because people tend to be married to their purchases but it’s just the conclusion I’ve come too after doing research on the subject myself.

I would steer clear of any newer 870’s until the quality control from Remington improves.
    I agree with JStud and BigH. I own the Maverick 88 and the only change I made was swapping out the stock for the Fab defense shock absorbing adjustable AR style stock and grip. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Attachments

• 20240611_181747.jpg
      20240611_181747.jpg
      335.2 KB · Views: 7
    • 20240611_192626.jpg
      20240611_192626.jpg
      119.6 KB · Views: 8

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I bought a Mossy 930 and shot it a few times with low brass. It cycled fine. It wouldn't hurt for me to take a class and learn more about it as well as shoot it more to get to know better operation.
    I agree with the 930 being reliable (plus you can ghost load that tenth round!) and also taking a class or two. Self defense with a shotgun is a different animal.
    There’s a 930 somewhere in this pic…

Attachments

• IMG_5214.png
      IMG_5214.png
      1.7 MB · Views: 8
    Top Bottom