best smith in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coldbore

we have a piper down
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Looking for the best smith in Louisiana...need work done on a Winchester mod.70...in no rush so backlog doesnt matter, just need someone I can trust, any suggestions?

coldbore

we have a piper down
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    I'm the best Smith in Louisiana,

Tim Smith that is.

haha...i'm having real trouble on this one, i found some good guys out of state but i'd rather keep my money here. plus I'd trust a southern man over anyone one else...basically looking for "the old man in the woods"...thought about Reynersons in BR, but i haven't met the man so i don't know

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Looking for the best smith in Louisiana...need work done on a Winchester mod.70...in no rush so backlog doesnt matter, just need someone I can trust, any suggestions?

I would ask about a very good gunsmith. People have different opinions about Gunsmiths, Guns, Ammo, Trainers, ETC. So many people ask about "the best."

coldbore

we have a piper down
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    I would ask about a very good gunsmith. People have different opinions about Gunsmiths, Guns, Ammo, Trainers, ETC. So many people ask about "the best."

True, i thought about that after posting...Lets go with this, I'm looking for a very good gunsmith that specializes in Winchester Model 70's...

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Don Geraci - he is gruff, but he builds a good gun. I don't know if he does winchesters, but he may.

+1000 on Don
    As Dan said, I don't know if he works on Winchesters but you would have to look mighty hard to find a better riflesmith in the state.
    P.M. me if you need his ph.#.

Art

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Terry's great, but you might be looking at a year turn around time.

Art

He did say "best smith in Louisiana". Not to take a shot at Don I highly respect the man and shot 600yds with him this past weekend but Don is 100% benchrest with tolerences held on the tight side of things which is not always the best for every application.

coldbore

we have a piper down
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    He did say "best smith in Louisiana". Not to take a shot at Don I highly respect the man and shot 600yds with him this past weekend but Don is 100% benchrest with tolerences held on the tight side of things which is not always the best for every application.

This is why i was hesitant, i respect benchrest but concentrate on "real world" shooting

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

I gotta give another nod to Don as he built up my .30-06 hunting/target rifle for me. Let him know what you use the gun for and he'll work on it accordingly. That said, Don does usually work on 700's and actions based on it. +1 on give him a call and talk to him. If he won't do it, then he should know a good smith who can.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    This is why i was hesitant, i respect benchrest but concentrate on "real world" shooting

As far as chambering, it's all a matter of reamer size, you can order just about any size reamers you want. If you were looking to "blue print" your action I would think that other than the chamber you would want to hold to close tolerances. A smith who does BR work is also well capable of doing "real world" work. Look at the work of the McMillans, Harts, Jim Borden & Speedy Gonzalez. These guys can/could build what ever you want.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    best smith in louisiana

would be Ken Eversull in Boyce, but then you'd better have mucho dollars. specializes in double shotguns and double rifles that cost, oh $100,000 and up. :eek3:

Top Bottom