best way to avoid getting screwed?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I have heard of this type of scam many many times, all originate in Fl. There is a huge thread on hkpro.com. Unfortunately ATF will do nothing, since technically no weapon was involved.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    That's the kind of thing the ATF 'should' be working on!

I think the large number of scammers from Florida is due to the large number of seniors there. Those scammers aren't just doing gun scams.

I think if I were going to buy a gun from Florida I'd drive there, inspect the gun, then hand him the money in a UPS office as he ships it to my FFL. That way its all legal and you know its on the way.

UPS packages can be intercepted and rerouted, I have that option through my UPS account at work. The scammer could have the item returned.

I would only buy online through GunBroker because feedback could be checked and GB checks user validity by confirming credit card on file with users billing address, its not a guarantee but at least they could provide authorities with a location to start with.

I've bought and sold many items ( user name Good Sight) and only accept and pay with USPS money order because the MO can be checked over the phone and if there is the chance of a scam, you get the postal police involved for mail fraud. I think they would love to have something to do and charge some scum-bag with a federal offense. And it helps to have a friend whos an FFL, he does all my shipping and receiving and gives me a secure piece of mind.

I would post guns for sale on Bayou Shooter from the peeples republik ov Illinois but you guys have more firearms than we do up here and I couldn't sell 'em that cheap, I paid too much for this stuff:o:doh:

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    Well not saying that is incorrect but I am dealing with USPS now about my money order and its not going so well. I thought the same thing, secure and its federal. Apparently I was wrong and from what I Know now the only person protected by the money order is the one receiving it. They wont let me stop payment on it or anything like that. all they can do is say if its been cashed and it may take up to thirty days for that. If Im lucky someone other than the person whos name is on it has cashed it and maybe I will have a chance but I doubt it. just FYI

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Not that I'm suggesting doing anything illegal, but wouldnt it be funny if nexttime someone found one of thier scams that they send them "payment" with a counterfiet check or Money Order? They would have so much explaining to do and would definatly expose whoever was cahsing the checks.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Somebody posted also an ADD on sportsman refering to the scam, lots of scammers online. I have had great success with gunbroker in the past, and most of the time even on GB I only buy from somebody with a good amount of feedback, and if the account is NR (not registered) stay away or deal with his FFL directly. Another big scam on LASportsman is the puppys and the monkeys and exotic animals, supposely they ship them to you from overseas bla bla bla, no questions ask you can make a killing selling them once they reproduce, they would still have to clear customs be on quarantine and all that stuff, Some people just put themselves on a bad spot.

Hothand

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Garland, LA.
    If I Am Not Mistaken A Gentelman Was Already Taken Advantage Of On Same Deal Posted Several Months Back On The Sportsman. The New Add Is Almost Identical Less Pics,

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Allright, I got him going.

heres our emails so far.

sorry about the confusion, I live in NC...are you still interested? i can ship to you or your FFL and i will cover shipping cost..Let me know what works for you. i have a license.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
    To: robaed@aol.com
    Sent: Wed, Jan 6, 2010 11:40 pm
    Subject: RE: m1a

Port Allen, But Im on the road a lot and travel throughought the south.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To: akajun
    Subject: Re: m1a
    Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 17:17:07 -0500

where are you located?

-----Original Message-----
    To: ablejud@gmail.com
    Sent: Wed, Jan 6, 2010 10:54 pm
    Subject: m1a

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I just replied that I am an ffl also and that if he gives me an address Ill get payment to him asap.

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery would be entertained?

Might send him a dog turd in a box.

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I'm not sure stirring the pot is the right approach, but I once heard a story where a person who was wronged by a scammer got him to bite again. He sent the scammer on a wild goose chase, and had him waiting at various wire transfer locations. The guy turned it into a sort of pet project, and in the end saw a bit of satisfaction in knowing he at was able to waste the scammers time.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I'm not sure stirring the pot is the right approach, but I once heard a story where a person who was wronged by a scammer got him to bite again. He sent the scammer on a wild goose chase, and had him waiting at various wire transfer locations. The guy turned it into a sort of pet project, and in the end saw a bit of satisfaction in knowing he at was able to waste the scammers time.

Though I have no dog in this fight, but I hate scammers and thieves. If we could all waste his time, he would get some of the frustration his victims felt.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Well he is in NC,

Here is his last reply

Ok thats fine then, You can send me a postal money order only by USPS Express mail to

Name : Robert A. Edwards
    Address: 2855 woodside dr,
    Clayton, N.C 27520.

Email me back with your shipping information.

Thanks.

Ill tell him that by a stroke of luck, I have a hot shot driver going to Clayton North Carolina and will have him pick it up.

Looking it up on Google Earth, I see that it is a trailer park.

The three listings for that address are unlisted phone numbers, but the names are Amanda Candella, Shawn Candella, and Connie j. Edwards.

The only phone # I can find for a Robert A Edwards is 251 Walden Woods, Apex NC. 919-387-7564.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom