Best way to remove heavy rust?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Buddy of mine asked me if I could clean and oil a shotgun for him. I said yes without seeing it. He shows up with this old Pardner Pump. I've never dealt with something this rusty and decided im up for a challenge. Plan is to get it cleaned up then rattle can it. Any advice for tackling this rust would be VERY much appreciated.View attachment 144345View attachment 144346
    I’d use Evaporust and let it soak. Does great job removing rust.

Bigboi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2018
    southwest LA
    When I was doing some fal mags I used evaporust u can pick it up at O'Reilly
    Leave it in there overnight it should come out nice and shiny
    Mags way full of cosmoline and rust

Evaporust isn't acid or anything like that

Buddy did the same with a marlin what ur trying to do
    Clean/rattlecan

CZRuger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2023
    North of BR
    Buddy of mine asked me if I could clean and oil a shotgun for him. I said yes without seeing it. He shows up with this old Pardner Pump. I've never dealt with something this rusty and decided im up for a challenge. Plan is to get it cleaned up then rattle can it. Any advice for tackling this rust would be VERY much appreciated.View attachment 144345View attachment 144346
    Arm & Hammer Laundry booster and a battery charger. Look up electrolysis videos using A&H laundry booster. Works like magic on steel but have to be careful with non steel sometimes solution will destroy other metals. After using solution paint with Brownells Alumi-Hyde . And it will lok like new

Wizard1183

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Lafayette
    Get a container long enough for it and put it in. Pour enough white vinegar until it covers it. Leave for 3-4 hours. Take it out. Dump bucket. Fill it with water just above part and throw in baking soda to neutralize it.

H_B

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 22, 2021
    Baton Rouge
    Wire brush, then sand it smooth, then use a rust inhibitor like ospho or enrust so the rust doesn’t come back. If you dont kill the rust it will bubble up the paint. You will know it’s good because the rust spot will turn black. I might still have some ill give you if you’re in the Baton Rouge area

Rman

Free on weekends
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    City of Central
    Have an old Mossberg that looked a lot like that. I pulled it apart and degreased everything. Hit all the rusted parts with 80 grit in my small blasting cabinet, then soaked in acetone. Shot it with "Tungston" Cerekote. It'll never be new, but gotta' say it looks pretty good and a far cry from what it looked like before.

Old Bubba

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    BRLA
    I would use a HD brass brush to clean off the big and nasty boogers. Price wise white vinegar is going to be the most cost effective. You're going to have to pull all part and degrease it. Then soak it. You will have pitting from the look of it. So you are going to have to decide just how much time and money you want to spend on a fairly cheap shotgun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom