Big Crawfish in the Batture today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    my son and his friend were baiting the catfish lines and dropped one net to see if the crawfish were there... this guy crawled in inside about 5 minutes, so they will be setting out the wire traps tomorrow.

250641_2095901954836_1163945735_32552697_5600611_n.jpg

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That looks like a white river crawfish as opposed to the red swamp crawfish that is sold most often on the market. I've seen these things get huge. There used to be a market for them from Louisiana to Sweden. The largest ones were pickled and packaged one each in the pickling brine in a vacuum sealed bag and shipped to Sweden.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    My friend Jay Huner is a zoologist specializing in crawfish. He taught at Southern and whatever USL is now. Knows his stuff.

He said the LSU Aquacenter would be very interested in having a specimen of this species as well as location where it was taken, etc.

PM me for details.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Jay sent me this back:

TOM - WHILE I WAS DIRECTOR OF THE CRAWFISH RESEARCH CENTER, EVERYONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE HUGE CRAWFISH THEY'D FIND DURING MAJOR FLOOD EVENTS BUT NO ONE HAD ANY SPECIMEN. THAT'S WHY I SUGGESTED DOCUMENTING THE CRAWFISH. NOT SURE THERE WILL BE A LOT OF HARVESTABLE CRAWFISH ON THE BATTURE NOW BUT WHEN THE WATER GOES DOWN, PITS BETWEEN THE LEVEE AND THE CHANNEL OUGHT TO BE GOOD FOR CRAWFISH, AT LEAST IN SOME AREAS.

Top Bottom