Black powder handgun safety question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I am thinking of picking up a .44 blackpowder handgun. I have heard that when you fire the gun there have been incidences of another chamber firing from the flash between the cylinder and barrel. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? I have heard you can put a dab of grease over the end of each loaded cylinder but this sounds rather messy to me. Is there another way? Suggestions will be appreciated.

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    While a fact; chain fires are rare. I've never used anything over my cylinders and have never had a problem; guess there could always be a first time. Make sure you are using a properly sized ball for your gun (mine calls for .451 dia) and get a good lead ring when loading. That should show you that it's sealed well. If you choose to use anything over the ball, you can use the commercial lube or as some do, Crisco.
    Anyway around it those BP guns need to be cleaned up, and the extra lube won't make it much more difficult or time consuming.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I used to have one years ago. I put powder in, then a waxed or greased scap of cloth, then a lead ball. I never had a problem with chain fires. If you're really worried for the first few times load every other cylinder.
    It was fun, but mine wasn't very accurate. At 25 yards it was 'sheet of plywood' rather than 'minute of angle'.

Top Bottom