Boat cuts out when throttling up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Short? Are the terminals for different voltages or purposes? I don't know a lot about boats.

Nothing for their to be a short on. These terminals are on the battery directly. Should have been no issue, but talking with a member through emails apparently the post can break/become loose underneath, causing a poor connection and potential heating up.

I'm just glad it's working. If someone wanted to say it was magical old-ass boat fairies, that would be fine with me.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I actually just got rid of a motor almost identical to that one. It did not like a filter in the line at all.
    You most probably are getting air in the line from somewhere (the quick connect is usually the first place) or have trash in the carb.
    Go ahead and pull the bowl off the carb, you really cannot mess this up even if you know nothing about carbs. ( I know the carb is a PITA to get off!) Clean the gunk out of it and spray carb cleaner thru everything you can. Now, when You reinstall it, pay close attention to the fuel line, it routes under the carb and is easily pinched causing low fuel flow. Also common for the fuel line to get pinched by the shift linkage. As a side note, make sure the fuel pump is working correctly and the screen and ports are clogged.
    There are literally a BUNCH of things that can go wrong and cause issues. My evinrude like yours confused me because the spark was weak. It wound up being the powerpack, figured that out after a new stator and trigger.
    The 50 yamaha I had idled fine, but bogged down and barely would get the boat on plane. It had a burned piston, 0 compression on 1 cyl, but idled smoothly

Top Bottom