Boating at night legality

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Just wanted to add my two cents ...

SOUND SIGNALING DEVICES: Every motorboat or vessel of Class 1----16 feet to less than 26 feet, 2, or 3, shall be provided with an efficient whistle or other sound-producing mechanical appliance. Every motorboat or vessel of Class 2 or 3 shall be provided with an efficient bell.

I've heard of at least one agent in the south central area that will write you up for not having a whistle or similar even though you have met all other safety requirements. Usually happens at the start of duck season. I've also heard of at least one lucky person getting by with producing a duck call since technically it's an "other sound-producing mechanical appliance".

Last edited:

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    clip a whistle to your PFD. I've gotten to the point where I put mine on before getting out of then truck and take it off after i get back in. The inflatables really are comfortable. you'll forget its there after a while.

snoopygw73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    mandeville/covington
    I have a little experience with this and want to help you out. My advice is judging by the pic of your boat. Here's a list of what you need.
    1. All occupants must wear a pfd
    2. You must have a sound producing device (whistle is recommended).
    3. A throwable device
    4. Registration (must be signed on the back)
    5. Front red/green lights, rear white light
    6. Kill cord attached from the motor to the operator while underway
    7. I can't tell by the pic, but you may need a fire extinguisher. This applies if you have a subfloor (where gas could spill under) or gas tank which can not easily be removed in an emergency.
    8. You will need flares only if entering open water (i.e. lake borgne)
    9. If born after 1984, you will need a boater safety education card.
    10. You do not have to wear a pfd if using a trolling motor.

If you have any questions, please pm me about this. If I do not have an answer, I can make a phone call and get you the right answer. Please take safety seriously.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have a little experience with this and want to help you out. My advice is judging by the pic of your boat. Here's a list of what you need.
    1. All occupants must wear a pfd
    2. You must have a sound producing device (whistle is recommended).
    3. A throwable device
    4. Registration (must be signed on the back)
    5. Front red/green lights, rear white light
    6. Kill cord attached from the motor to the operator while underway
    7. I can't tell by the pic, but you may need a fire extinguisher. This applies if you have a subfloor (where gas could spill under) or gas tank which can not easily be removed in an emergency.
    8. You will need flares only if entering open water (i.e. lake borgne)
    9. If born after 1984, you will need a boater safety education card.
    10. You do not have to wear a pfd if using a trolling motor.

If you have any questions, please pm me about this. If I do not have an answer, I can make a phone call and get you the right answer. Please take safety seriously.

You sure on the 1984 boater safety card? I thought it was only if you don't have a drivers license?

As for the items that other people have mentioned that technically aren't "required" - they are required and you want them. I'd recommend getting a nice water resistant thick bag that you can attach to the boat whenever you are in it and keep the following extra things:

Fixed blade knife, rope, multi-tool, flare gun, powerful flashlight, extra mag, airhorn, whistle, water bottle, and other items like that.

As for other things to keep in the boat: throwable flotation device is a must. A paddle for when the engine breaks. It will. Throwable rope for tying up to stuff. Fire extinguisher.

It's better to have something and not need it than to not have it and be screwed.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    From the Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries website:

Who May Operate a Vessel/PWC
    Persons born after January 1, 1984, may not operate a motorboat or PWC powered by a motor in excess of 10 horsepower unless he or she has successfully completed a boating safety course approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA). The person may operate a motorboat if accompanied by someone over 18 years of age who if required has completed the course (this provision DOES NOT apply to PWCs).

• These persons must be in possession of evidence of completion of the approved course whenever operating such a vessel.

See more of the required equipment & regulations for yourself here: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/boating/required-equipment-regulations

Do yourself a favor and go take the boater's safety class. It's free and you'll probably learn a thing or two that you didn't know going into it. My son and I took it last year and I don't even own a boat. We both learned a lot. The wildlife agent that taught the class flat out told us that if he comes across a flatboat with a 10hp motor on it but was only being powered at the time by a trolling motor, he was going to ask for the certification card. Better safe than sorry.

According to their calendar, the next class close to Baton Rouge is Sat, 04/26/2014 at Cabela's. If you don't want to wait, you can go the online route, but I think there is a fee for the actual test.
    Calendar here: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/boating/courses

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    And I'm surprised that no one else has said this already.
    The two best days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    What about navigation lights on a pirouge that is being paddled? I never have gotten a definitive answer on this.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    What about navigation lights on a pirouge that is being paddled? I never have gotten a definitive answer on this.

If the vessel is unpowered and propelled solely by a sail or paddle and under 23 feet no continuous light is required. (note a trolling motor is considered a powered vessel) The vessel must have a light (hand held or otherwise) to display when traffic dictates. Alternatively a single white 360 degree can be used continuously.I suggest the latter is much safer and both even more safe. You can and are encouraged to display a bow red/green light and a stern white light but it is not mandatory to do so.

I would note that just because something is legal does not make it smart. A small unlighted vessel close to the water is tough to see. Use a light....use running lights and a white light like this guy.

headlamp.jpg

navigation_lights_figure_3.jpg

https://www.boat-ed.com/pennsylvani...els-and-All-Anchored-Vessels/101039_101039153

Last edited:

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    I have the clamp on bow(red/green) and 360 white stern lights. I'm a nervous nelly in the dark when it comes to crossing where they are running wide open in the dark. Just never knew the legality. Thanks very much.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    I have the clamp on bow(red/green) and 360 white stern lights. I'm a nervous nelly in the dark when it comes to crossing where they are running wide open in the dark. Just never knew the legality. Thanks very much.

i hear you about boats running at high speed at night.

You may want to add a headlight like the guy in the picture I posted. It is easy to find a bright LED headlamp with a strobe function to increase your visibility.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    i hear you about boats running at high speed at night.

You may want to add a headlight like the guy in the picture I posted. It is easy to find a bright LED headlamp with a strobe function to increase your visibility.

I know a lot of cyclists that refuse to use the strobe function on their headlights. They say that it's hard for someone approaching to judge how close they are. Supposedly it easier to judge distance with a steady light. I really don't know, but maybe something for you to think about.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I know a lot of cyclists that refuse to use the strobe function on their headlights. They say that it's hard for someone approaching to judge how close they are. Supposedly it easier to judge distance with a steady light. I really don't know, but maybe something for you to think about.

I never used strobe on motorcycle. What is one way you signal people to go when you want to let them? You flash your lights. If someone is only half paying attention and sees lights flash, they may think you telling them to go and turn in front of you.... Stranger things have happened.

I did ride with them on bright during the day though for a little more visibility.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Thanks for all the help everyone. Question came up yesterday. I finally fot.my paperwork in and the sticker that I'm supposed to put on the boat as well. The instructions say to out the sticker next to the hull ID. My boat doesn't have a hull ID on it like a typical boat. What's up wi th that?

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    They are talking about the numbers on the sides of your boat. Im guessing you are talking about your registration decal square shaped with the La. outline and year inside of it..kinda like this one...My Dad just kept adding them instead of removing and replacing them in front of or behind the numbers. Not a real good example but I think you get the idea. On your registration it tells you where to put this decal in relation to the "LA XXXXXXX".

Last edited:

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Supposedly it easier to judge distance with a steady light. I really don't know, but maybe something for you to think about.

A flashing light is a common commodity in the marine world. Bouys, channel markers and range light all use flashing lights to mark their positions.

However, I would note that white strobe lights are commonly used for distress makers like man overboard floats and similar items. It can thus be confused with distress beacons. Still since the poster has regular running lights which would help mark the position of the boat.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    A flashing light is a common commodity in the marine world. Bouys, channel markers and range light all use flashing lights to mark their positions.

However, I would note that white strobe lights are commonly used for distress makers like man overboard floats and similar items. It can thus be confused with distress beacons. Still since the poster has regular running lights which would help mark the position of the boat.
    I should have said that is hard to judge the distance of a strobe light when that light is mounted on an object that is approaching you. Yes, on stationary objects like a buoy or channel marker, they are very useful.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    They are talking about the numbers on the sides of your boat. Im guessing you are talking about your registration decal square shaped with the La. outline and year inside of it..kinda like this one...My Dad just kept adding them instead of removing and replacing them in front of or behind the numbers. Not a real good example but I think you get the idea. On your registration it tells you where to put this decal in relation to the "LA XXXXXXX".
    Yes. the large black lettering hull ID that's on th e boat you pictured is missing on my boat.

snoopygw73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    mandeville/covington
    There is a minimum height requirement for the numbers/letters. Just buy them in the boat department of academy or Walmart and those will meet the requirements. Also, they have to be in contrast to the color of the location on the hull. Green boat, use white. And the numbers have to be located on the port and starboard side toward the front and above the waterline. It should look like this, "LA 1234 AB", followed by the state decal. For reference, the HIN is located on the transom, starboard side.

Top Bottom