Break Even Point?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Where is the break even point on reloading .223?

I know nothing about reloading, or what is needed to do so, so if any of my assumptions are incorrect take it easy on me and learn me right.

A Dillon 550 is around $400
    2000 brass casings is $380
    2000 52gr sierra matchkings is $300
    2000 primers will cost roughly $50
    8lbs of powder is about $160

Remember, I know nothing about reloading so I could be missing a bunch of crucial components, which is kind of why I started this thread.

but for $1300 bucks I can make 2k rounds by those figures, of pretty good brass ammo with 26gr of powder in each one. To buy that ammo it would probably cost me $800ish bucks.

Where would you reloading pros say the break even point is? For someone who doesn't do a whole lot of shooting, would you say it is worth it to buy the equipment and give it a go?

Educate me please.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I'm not a reloader yet but I can tell you that you are missing a scale. Preferably a digital. You also need a primer flipper and the 223 dies. The newest Lyman to read up before you get started and have accurate specs.

I know I'm missing something as I haven't even started but have been looking into it. Some of the experience loaders will come in and get you some info.

dtknowles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Lets say you only get 4 reloads on each case so you multiply you powder bullets and primers by 4 and add the costs of cases plus half the cost of the dillon figuring you could sell it for half what you paid, total now for 8000 rounds is around $2600 for the reloads or $3200 for the factory ammo so you made $600. If you are good at reloading and don't screw up, make duds, scrap or have to pull down bad stuff you will make more than minimum wage.

Actually you could do even better that those figures indicate, I think your cost of components is high or at least you could do better if you are careful shopper and buy 10,000 type quantity on bullets and primers. 8 pound jugs of powder is good, your price looks like what I pay when I get one pounders and more like 110-120 for 8 pounders. I almost alway do better than $20 per pound but that is gun show prices. $0.15 per bullet is premium but you did specify matchkings, do you use premium bullets for all your shooting. And lastly if you are careful you will get more than 4 loads on average per case unless you let someone else pick it up. If you pick up and use their brass it free, right.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Appreciate it. Adding just a good digital scale, flipper and dies already tells me it isn't worth it. For half the cost of everything I can get 3k rounds of brass xm193, which is more then I will shoot in the next 20 years unless teotwawki happens between now and then.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Most of your numbers are pretty good. You can beat the bullets by about $24, the powder by $30. Both savings are insubstantial. The big saving is on brass. 200 pieces of Lake City should cost you no more than $120 processed and as little as $60 unprocessed. Also, I think that you are underestimating the cost of remanufactured ammo with 52 gr match bullets. It is about $550 per 1000 so $1100 for 2000. If you want to get new ammo, you are looking at $1400 for the 2000 rounds.

By my calculations, you can load your 2000 rounds for not more than $625. So you pay for your loader in a little under 2000 rounds. The second time you load your brass, it will cost you $500 for your 2000 rounds. PLUS you still have the loader that you could sell and get most of your money back. It pays to reload.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Appreciate it. Adding just a good digital scale, flipper and dies already tells me it isn't worth it. For half the cost of everything I can get 3k rounds of brass xm193, which is more then I will shoot in the next 20 years unless teotwaski happens between now and then.

If 3000 rounds is more than you will shoot in 20 years, don't bother to start reloading unless alot of that woult be with premium hunting bullets (the ammo companies rape you on premium hunting ammo). If it is just ball you need in those small amounts, buy it already made.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    If 3000 rounds is more than you will shoot in 20 years, don't bother to start reloading unless alot of that woult be with premium hunting bullets (the ammo companies rape you on premium hunting ammo). If it is just ball you need in those small amounts, buy it already made.

Just ordered 3k rounds of THIS for $1080, so I should be good for a while.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Appreciate it. Adding just a good digital scale, flipper and dies already tells me it isn't worth it. For half the cost of everything I can get 3k rounds of brass xm193, which is more then I will shoot in the next 20 years unless teotwaski happens between now and then.

That's how I look at it too.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    It depends on how much you shoot and what. I have shot over 15,000 rounds of .223 loaded with 77 gr match king and another 10,000 loaded with an 80 gr match king in the last 7 years. If you were to price that much match ammo from Federal or even Black Hills you would quickly come to the conclusion that I paid for my reloading equipment long ago. Just on this caliber in the last 7 years (I have been loading on my equipment for 30 years), I have probably saved almost $20,000. Plus the ammo I load is tuned for my gun AND the 80 gr. loads are not available commercially.

If you shoot, reloading is definitely worth it.

Dan

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Along the lines of what LSP said . . .
    Once you can reload 1 caliber it is not much more of an investment to add a (Similar) second caliber.
    I'm not trying to talk you into it. Reloading is not for everyone. No one posts how much fun they have trimming rifle brass. It is an investment including some space and your time and effort.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    A member on this board, who shall remain nameless, told me that he did the "calculation" thing and deduced that it wasn't worth his time to reload.

This was a year ago. He shoots a lot. I have seen him, along with others here, frantically reporting who has 9mm and how much it is. Add up the cost of today's ammo prices, all that gas burned scurrying around looking for ammo, ANY ammo, to buy... well, you get the picture.

If this particular fellow had started loading back then, his gear would have already been paid for several times over.

Nameless? Come on. You know you want to dump him out of the closet.:o

My gear was paid for back in the 1980s - even the stuff I bought last year. That is how far ahead I would be if you compared the cost of the ammo I have shot to the cost it would have taken to buy it from a store.

Actually, reloading will not save you a penny. You will just get to shoot many more times for the money you spend on this hobby (way of life). :D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Just curious... I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I would like. Maybe 200 rounds a month of .223, another 200 or so of .45. It would take a long time to recoup the investment. A few boxes of .303 or 7.62 x 54R.
    What about the Lee loader setups? Is it worth it for small volumes? That saves you the initial $400 for the press and another $50 in dies. I know I'd spend more time loading, but that would only cut into my TV or computer time after my wife went to bed, no big loss... thoughts?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I have loaded an untold number of rifle and pistol rounds on an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press. You could load the volume you shoot pretty easily on one. A single stage press will not cost you nearly as much as a progressive like a Dillon. If you strictly shoot cheap ball ammo, your savings won't be as great, but if you shoot any type of premium ammo, you will easily amortize your reloading equipment in under a year. Plus you can always sell the equipment for something.

I use some Lee products, but I don't think I would buy one of their presses or too many of their other products. The RCBS is cast iron, the Lee is pot metal. The RCBS will last longer.

Dan

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Of course... but no sense in throwing yet ANOTHER altruism at all these fence-sitters...;)

As for throwing my pal under the bus... nah. He genuinely believes (believed?) that reloading was economically unsound for his situation.

Now... if he had been one of those guys who whine about not having enough time; yet are tail gating every week-end; you bet, I would have dropped him in the grease in a heartbeat...;)

Does his name rhyme with Shmarco? :mamoru::mamoru::rofl::rofl:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Well I just got into it and are only loading for pistol ammo but I can actually say that so far I like it. It really has been fun to manufacture my own ammo then go shoot with it. It can be an enjoyable hobby. BUT you have to have time to do it. This is not something that should be done hastly just before going to the range trying to hurry up. YOU COULD BLOW YOUR GUN UP. It has to be done the right way w/ care. I have been doing alot of reading and research on the topic. I understand that there is a danger potential and do not want to become a statstic.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I wasn't talking about a single stage press. The lee loader is far less expensive than that even. I've been tempted to buy one (especially for .303 considering how little I shoot and that I would neck size only). I'd probably buy a primer tool also though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=246418

I would only recommend that type of loader if the person valued his time at an hourly rate lower than that of a minor working in a sweat shop in a third world country.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I would say this would be a minimum:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=410804
    A bench mounted press would be easier. The hand press is portable.

When you grow out of the hand press your dies would work in a bench press. The Lee Classis loader would just be grown out of.

A good scale is a must. How do you know it is on? Check weights. So the thing escalates. If you are determined enough you will figure a way.

Don't forget used. DMiculek had an unused (NIB) press here.

Top Bottom