BREAKING NEWS---IED in Times Square

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Didn't see this posted yet.
    This site is streaming the MSNBC feed.

Site

By RAY RIVERA and KARIN HENRY
    Published: May 1, 2010

A bomb in Times Square led to the evacuation of thousands of tourists and theatergoers from the area on a warm and busy Saturday evening, the police said.

There was no explosion.

“It appears to be a car bomb left in a Pathfinder between Seventh and Eighth,” said Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman.

The device, he said, contained “explosive elements” that included “propane tanks, some kind of powder, gasoline and a timing device.”

“This is very much an active investigation,” he said.

The device was discovered by a mounted police officer who saw a box with smoke pouring from it in the back of the Pathfinder, Mr. Browne said. The officer called for backup, and the Fire Department and bomb squad.

The Pathfinder’s back window was broken out, Mr. Browne said, and the police sent in a “robotic device” to “observe it.”

Police began evacuating Times Square, starting with businesses along Seventh Avenue, including a Foot Locker store and a McDonald’s restaurant.

The license plates on the Nissan were registered to a Ford, the police said.

A New York City firefighter who told Reuters he arrived early on the scene said that the vehicle was smoking and that he saw “a flash” from the back of the it. “We put two and two together” and the evacuation was ordered, he said.

Broadway was closed between at least 43rd and 46th Streets, and the police also appeared to be closing off part of Eighth Avenue.

The police said they planned to close down Broadway shows in the vicinity, Reuters reported, but it was not clear whether any theaters had actually been evacuated.

Onlookers crowded against the metal barricades encircling the area, taking pictures with cellphones and video cameras, although only a swarm of flashing fire trucks and police cars was visible.

Many people stayed to watch after being shut out of Broadway shows or prevented from getting back to their hotels, trading rumors about what was happening.

The Toy “R” Us, between 44th and 45th Streets, was empty.

Gabrielle Zecha and Taj Heniser, visiting from Seattle, had tickets to see “Next to Normal” at the Booth Theater on 45th Street but could not get into the 8 p.m. show because the area was blocked off. But they made the best of the spectacle. “It’s a whole different kind of show,” Ms. Heniser said, adding, “It’s almost the equivalent of a $150 show.”

A group of people on a high school senior trip from Jacksonville, Fla., said they were stuck for about an hour and a half in the Bubba Gump restaurant at 44th Street and Seventh Avenue.

“A lot of people were getting tense who were there longer than we were, said Billy Wilkerson, 39, a police sergeant in Jacksonville and a chaperone for the trip. “It’s so good to get out, but it was exhilarating.”

He said he was impressed by his New York counterparts. “I just sat back and learned a lot,” he said.

Priscilla Garner, 17, said she enjoyed the experience. “I got free ice cream, they gave us crayons to color with,” she said.

In December, the police closed Times Square for nearly two hours as they investigated a suspiciously parked van, delaying the rehearsal of the New Year’s ball drop. However, the van turned out to contain nothing but clothing.

Reporting was contributed by Al Baker, Micah Cohen and Steve Kenny in New York and Eric Lipton in Washington.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I'm sure it is just a misunderstanding, and that a muslim was on his way to a BBQ, and he happened to reload, worried about running out of fuel, and had, you, know, timers. Totally a misunderstanding
    allah-u-snackbar-september-challenge-open-7-days-a-week-demotivational-poster-1254012275.jpg

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm sure Obama is cancelling his trip to St Bernard tomorrow to fly to Saudi to do more apologizing so they'll stop trying to bomb us. I mean, that is why they are attacking us, because we haven't apoligized enough, right?

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I'm sure Obama is cancelling his trip to St Bernard tomorrow to fly to Saudi to do more apologizing so they'll stop trying to bomb us. I mean, that is why they are attacking us, because we haven't apoligized enough, right?
    Slow down.
    It hasn't been confirmed that this failed explosion is connected to a Muslim, a middle easterner, radical tea-bagger, an angry white man, or etc.

:)

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Slow down.
    It hasn't been confirmed that this failed explosion is connected to a Muslim, a middle easterner, radical tea-bagger, an angry white man, or etc.

:)

And calling it an "IED" is sensationalism.

State police did the same thing a while back when they stopped some redneck and found a pipe bomb.

Last edited:

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Improvised explosive device? Well, sounds pretty improvised and pretty explosive...

edit: nolacop beat me to it

And guys, this isn't a failed terrorist attempt. This is a failed man-made disaster. You know, kinda like Katrina or Haiti except with an islamic man behind it.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    And calling it an "IED" is sensationalism.

State police did the same thing a while back when they stopped some redneck and found a pipe bomb.

Whoaaaa . ......R U sayn that all pipe bombs are made by rednecks , or that all rednecks have pipebombs ??

Dialn SPLC as we speak, I have been defamed and disfigured by this eronious and racisist statement

Top Bottom